Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by SLAMMER 2
I second this trailer I love mine and last weekend at the track several guys watched as I quickly and smoothly loaded my Vette.
SLAMMER

First thing is tool boxes don't have to go on the bed. They can go in front of the bed on the tongue and a fair number of people put them there even on longer trailers. Tire Racks can be built over the car and the trailer bed.

My tire rack starts at the beginning of the bed and is about 3.5 ft above the bed. With 4 tires in the rack and the car placed so the trailer is balanced properly there is enough room to store a folded pop up tent in front of the car. If I wanted I could weld a tool box on the tongue in front of the tire rack. However, I would have to move the car rearward 3 or 4 inches to compensate for the added tongue weight.

Bill
Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim B in SD
Folks, while I appreciate the concern, I'm not asking for tow vehicle suggestions. I've towed nearly 10,000 miles in the Touareg and it's been a sublime tow vehicle; much better than the pickups I have borrowed to tow in the past. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller and the factory Class IV receiver. The brakes are massive, it's 4WD, and it's a porker. Long trailers are a concern due to its 112" wheelbase, but I'm comfortable towing anything up to 20' and 6000+ lbs (it's rated to 7716 lbs). Many on the Touareg forums are towing enclosed trailers, Airstreams, and the like. I realize we're on a Chevy forum but let's keep an open mind. (Heck, there's another Touareg and a Grand Cherokee already cited as tow vehicles in this thread!)

To those of you who have made specific trailer recommendations based on my criteria, thank you! I'll look into the Neo and Quickload trailers. Featherlite is already on my radar so thanks for the affirmation!
You seem to have a good handle on your TV's capabilities, and I just wanted to highlight this. So many are so quick to hate on TVs, but you acknowledged the one thing that I saw as the single weakness: your short wheelbase. I think with an aluminum open deck you'd never have a problem. Going enclosed (and heavy) is where crosswinds can wreak havoc on that short wheelbase.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

If you can swing it a quality aluminum one is the way. I've had a lot of trailers. Steel, open deck, closed deck, and two aluminum ones. A Featherlite 3110 17.5' and now an Aluma 8218Tilt. I still have a steel trailer, I use it to tow my A-sedan car to the track.

I also have a lot of truck, as in a Cummins powered Ram. 800 ft/lbs of torque, and the truck is 8000 pounds. Pulling the steel trailer vs. either of the Aluminums is a massive difference. MASSIVE. This is even more the case with a smaller truck. And remember that the heavier the trailer the more easily it can shove your truck around.

Resale is better too, but they aren't cheap. And a lot of trailers will need supplemental ramps for the low nose on the C6 GS's and Z's in particular. The Corvette won't even work on the steel trailer unless I want to crawl out the window (I don't) because the door won't clear the fender.... so no matter what a removable fender is a smart idea.

FWIW, I am a Race Ramps dealer, and I use them. Not really cheap, but light and tough and likely needed to some degree with a deep nose C6, less so with C5's especially ones that aren't lowered.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Another vote for Kwikload... Easiest trailer I have ever used for hauling the vette.

I'm on my second one I liked my first so much...
Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

With that kind of budget, you can get any open trailer out there, even some of the top notch aluminum premium trailers. Used Featherlites and such show up on racing junk, equipped with wheel/tire racks and tool boxes for around $5-6k. I also saw some premium, light and dovetailed trailers on other forums that are frequented by Porsche guys (they always have nice trailers - and most pull them with a Cayenne, which is just like your VW).

http://www.racingjunk.com/Used-Trail...r-Trailer.html

Here is my favorite setup, although this ad is from last year, so it's gone. But gives you an idea of what is out there. Check out Rennlist too...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...er-3110-a.html

I bought a cheap 18x7 aluminum open, dual axle, dual brakes trailer new for $3150 in MI earlier this year, that I found on eBay, and it only weighs 1360lbs. I have to use race ramps to load my C5Z on it, and my Armada easily pulls it (under 5,000lbs loaded) and I have no issues with it swaying, even in windy conditions. Gas mileage is decent too, as the setup is relatively aerodynamic, as compared to an enclosed trailer.
Attached Images   

Last edited by tytek; 12-13-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I really liked my trailex 8045 open trailer. Used it for 2 years and am in the process of trading it in for a trailex enclosed.

The open trailer is about 1,000 lbs, and with the 11 ft Ramps I never had a problem with my c5 or GS. People seem to love them or hate them. If you are in the NJ area mine should be at a dealer and for sale in a few weeks when I pick up the enclosed.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I had an Aluma trailer for 10 years, they make a great product

Quick Reply: Trailer suggestions...