Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engineer looking for something to do...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engineer looking for something to do...

I pay for access to a place called NextFab which is a community machine shop. It has a paint booth, manual and CNC lathes and mills, 3D printing machines, laser etching, welders, CAD computers, etc.

I'm looking for something to work on that isn't readily available.

My first thought was converting the outer Rzeppa CV joint to a tripod. I have to figure out if the angular motion is acceptable for the tripod but if anyone has other ideas, please throw out whatever you can think of.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:12 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Aluminum splitter frame, allow user to attach marine plywood or Tegris to it. Would have two uprights to front bumper bar and two uprights to frame. (Just back from hood hinge). Should include spacers so that you can bolt it through the frame without crushing the frame.

Aluminum uprights for a rear wing are also needed!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

If you just want ideas of what you could do for yourself, here are a couple that seem like relatively simple DIY type things (although some of them you can buy from forum sponsors):
- Seat Brackets
- Brake duct mounts (hose to spindle)
- Mount for Cool Suite cooler
- mounts for rear wing (thru the trunk lid to the frame)
- Tow hooks
- Fire ext mount
- Camera mount (assuming you have harness bar or cage)
- Pedal covers
- Seat brace (racing seat to cross bar)
- alum guibo
- delrin bushing for suspension
- camber plates (the small blocks that replace excentrics on lower control arms)
Old 12-11-2014, 05:20 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Originally Posted by argonaut
- delrin bushing for suspension
- camber plates (the small blocks that replace excentrics on lower control arms)
I think we have some winners to add to the list. It'll be easier if these ideas require less time with the car, for instance I can buy junk yard control arms to develop the delrin bushings/monoball inserts and camber plates in the shop.

In a year or two I'll be concerned about aero but not right now.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

I'll add on to that idea: tubular control arms with spherical bearings/bushings.

Lower control arms in particular since OEM lower ball joints are non-serviceable but get burned up at the track. And, existing stock of used arms aren't getting any younger...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:50 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Spherical shock mounts for pin top style shocks, there's just not a good solution out there right now, the rears would be easier than the fronts since you have a bracket to work with.
Something that looks like this.

Fronts are tougher since there just isn't much room to work with.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

I actually already have a thread on this. I have delrin versions designed but I'm thinking about monoball versions like you posted. I figure the front probably can't be done without opening up the thru hole a bit for a 3/4" monoball. There are a couple ways to make it work once you commit to that.

Who makes the ones in the pic? Can't make out the name.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you should work on/fab up a cockpit adjustable front swaybar I drew up and built the cockpit adjuster portion last winter but haven't had time to build the swaybar yet. We could team up!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
I think you should work on/fab up a cockpit adjustable front swaybar I drew up and built the cockpit adjuster portion last winter but haven't had time to build the swaybar yet. We could team up!

Very cool!

How about instead of using rubber or poly bushings, you have it with solid or bearing based mounts?

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
It looks like your design is done you just need to make the sway bar and route push/pull cables? Is there a reason you didn't make it into a single handle or did you plan on a front and rear?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Very cool!

How about instead of using rubber or poly bushings, you have it with solid or bearing based mounts?

that would be totally possible given that the ends can be removed!

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
It looks like your design is done you just need to make the sway bar and route push/pull cables? Is there a reason you didn't make it into a single handle or did you plan on a front and rear?
a majority of the design is done although that swaybar is actually for a BMW I used a random bar I found off a CAD library to design the adjusters/end caps, I need to get around to actually measuring and modifying to work for a corvette based off the stock swaybar, just haven't gotten to it yet.

correct, I planned for front and rear bars, however the modular nature of the handle means you could easily run it as a single setup and then build/add in the 2nd handle when you needed it for the other bar.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

I actually already have a thread on this. I have delrin versions designed but I'm thinking about monoball versions like you posted. I figure the front probably can't be done without opening up the thru hole a bit for a 3/4" monoball. There are a couple ways to make it work once you commit to that.

Who makes the ones in the pic? Can't make out the name.
They are AKG Motorsports upper mounts for BMW's, it was the first pic I found that looked close to what I was talking about.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Instead of doing delrin like everyone else, here is my spherical bearing solution for the front shocks. It will require using a 1.75" hole saw/drill bit of some kind. The hole is about .865" now. Then the bearing cup inserts from the bottom and two big jam nuts w/loctite hold the cup from the top. I'm assuming you can get a 1 3/4" socket in the chassis mount to hold the bearing cup.

The rears are just like the BMW ones posted.

Last edited by RBbugBITme; 12-16-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

That makes sense to me, I figured there would have to be some kind of modification up front to make it work, weather something was bolted in or the hole had to be opened up like you have here.
It also looks like you are using a high misalignment bearing along with some reducers to get the correct sizing for the top of the shock - that would allow it to work with more and more shock manufactures.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
It also looks like you are using a high misalignment bearing along with some reducers to get the correct sizing for the top of the shock - that would allow it to work with more and more shock manufactures.
I was more concerned about bearing life by oversizing it.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 PM
GregK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake caliper brackets

How about a C6 Z06 rear brake caliper bracket/spacer that allows the stock rear caliper to be used with 14" rotors?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

I like the idea GregK. Maybe there is a fitment reason it doesn't exist already?

I switched the materials on the front shock post mount to 17-4PH and thinned the bearing cup so a 1 5/8 drill could be used to modify the upper mount, I could avoiding over-designing aluminum for fatigue issues, and do away with coatings. Material costs should be a reasonable $30-$40. Machining will start after New Years!

Get notified of new replies

To Engineer looking for something to do...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

some stuff here
Old 12-21-2014, 09:26 PM
GregK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea GregK. Maybe there is a fitment reason it doesn't exist already?
I think the issue is can the stock caliper accommodate the increased arc of the larger rotor without contacting the rotor or bad pad to rotor alignment. I just thought it would be an inexpensive way to get larger rotors vice a full BBK.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Finally! I finished the rear spherical shock mounts for post style shocks. Fronts won't be far behind. Be nice, there was no CNC used for these.

Quick Reply: Engineer looking for something to do...