Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you guys finding Enkei's that fit Corvettes?

http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/NT03.pdf

NT03+M according to enkei in 18x10.5 is only available in 5x114.3 bolt pattern with 30mm offset.

I'd love to see some 17" rpf1's on a vette if they existed.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Have to talk to you guys about my rear bar to go with the front.... I'm with you on not wanting it way stiffer, which is why my bar is a 1", but a very thin wall tubing while giving 3 position adjustment. Might be a helpful tuning tool for you on surfaces that tighten the car up.

Just kicking it out. It was one of the reasons I was in CA last month, to work on getting specific details of the bar right.

And thank you too, I appreciate the stranoparts.com stickers on the car!
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar

NT03+M according to enkei in 18x10.5 is only available in 5x114.3 bolt pattern with 30mm offset.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Enke...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itzmik3
...we had our Corvette wrapped by 5Zero4 Designs. This is how it turned out!
Looks great...although I suspect timing/scoring might not like you very much.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

I'd love to see some 17" rpf1's on a vette if they existed.

Here is the part #
36581056164SP

I believe you can purchase them through any authorized Enkei reseller.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very impressed with how well balanced the car looks on video with the springs and swaybars listed. I too have a torch red FRC. My car is not as "maxed out" for STU (stock diff, no power mods, etc.) To get my car somewhat balanced for autocross with my VB&P springs at 1100 lb/in front and 825 rear, I needed to use a C5 Z06 front bar, T1 rear bar. From your description of the differential, it looks like I'm fighting my diff a lot at autocross speeds. I may be interested in that part in the future. Having very little ackermann also doesn't help. Corvettes, especially C5s, seem to hate low speed, high angle steering.

*I also have 285s square, but with 285/30-18 Dunlop Direzza ZIIs on 4 C5 Z06 rear wheels. -2.0° front camber and 7° caster I might add.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

Default OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Dyno #2

During our initial shakedowns of the Corvette, we noticed that it would not pass the local sound regulations of 93dbs. Unfortunately that meant the Corsa Pace Car exhaust had to be removed and replaced with the stock Z06 Ti exhaust.

After replacing the exhaust we noticed that the car was running rich so we scheduled an appointment with Shawn for a retune. As you can see in the dyno sheet, the vehicle was running rich, which in turn reduced overall power. This goes to show how the importance of retuning after each modification to the power train. We were thankful to show only minimal loss from our maximum potential.

**disclaimer**
Church Automotive Testing dynos are known to read higher #'s by about 12-15%.
We are mainly interested in using the dyno as a tuning tool to insure the safety of our engine by monitoring AFR.

Last edited by itzmik3; 01-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by itzmik3
[B][I]**disclaimer**
Church Automotive Testing dynos are known to read higher #'s by about 12-15%.
Now there's a honest shop. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that so called dyno always reads lower then actual numbers. Yea right.
Steve
Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

As Corvette owners we all know how horrible the OEM C5 seats are which also works as a natural G-meter. It is quite distracting as a driver to have to a seat with tons of play as well as lack of lateral support.

With the help of LOT USA and Bride, we were able to equip our STU Corvette with two Bride Stradia II Sport Reclinable Seats. Right away we were impressed with the holding ability of the seat along with it's comfort level being a reclinable seat. This makes it a much more enjoyable street car as we were able to achieve both comfort and function in one seat.

The installation of any aftermarket seat is of course a long tedious effort. The Bride Seat rails and Planted Technology seat brackets took out most of the frustration found when installing seats. In the end we are tons happy with the outcome of the interior as we now have a stylish look as well as proper function while racing. On top of that Bride is an official sponsor of the SCCA National Pro Solo Series! It’s always great to give back to those who support our sport!

We also received our custom made shift **** from WC Lathe Werks. This Piston Style shift **** has a titanium blue finish (custom ordered. not listed on the website) with the shift pattern laser engraved on it. Be sure to check out all of their available options on the website at: http://lathewerks.com/shop/index.php?cPath=56_57

Last edited by itzmik3; 02-04-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm short (5'5") and tend to crowd the steering wheel. I'm curious whether the driver's seat mounts directly behind the steering wheel or if it has to be offset slightly toward the left of the car because of interference between the seat bottom bolster and the transmission tunnel. Do you know? Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

Originally Posted by crznZ06
I'm short (5'5") and tend to crowd the steering wheel. I'm curious whether the driver's seat mounts directly behind the steering wheel or if it has to be offset slightly toward the left of the car because of interference between the seat bottom bolster and the transmission tunnel. Do you know? Thanks!
Upon my inspection, the seat is narrow enough that there is not any interference from the bottom seat bolster and the transmission tunnel even at the closest seating position. It does get close, but no contact is made.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Car looks great! Looking forward to seeing it in Lincoln!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

CSCC Championship 2/8 Update

Here is a video from this past weekend.
We finished in 2nd place, but we are still making changes to improve the car.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 AM
vehicular
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the first post here you mention using an AFe intake. Any particular reason you picked that one over the numerous other options available?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

Originally Posted by vehicular
In the first post here you mention using an AFe intake. Any particular reason you picked that one over the numerous other options available?
we picked the AFE since it was great bang for the buck and there was no modification needed for install.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

SDR - Championship 2/15/15 Update

We played with different spring rates for San Diego and we were happy with the initial results.
We captured 1st Place in STU and gained valuable data.

Last edited by itzmik3; 02-17-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Lower rear spring rate? Looks a bit more stable now, hard to tell if that was the surface though I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015

Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like C5 would be the underdog in that class, but at the same time I doubt there are too many people running gallardo, nissan gtr, 911 turbo s, viper acr-x, etc. competitively. C6Z would probably crush a C5 on most courses too though and is more likely to actually be prepped for the class.

Technically I'm running SSP myself in a C5Z but I'm not even trying to be competitive, I'm on street tires and sort of building toward optima/onelap rules (on a tiny budget).
Having run both our C5Z06 and C6Z06 in autocross, I have to say the C5 for me is the better Vette for this venue, unless there was a stupid crazy long straight on some course, I'll give the advantage to the C5....the only thing I like more on the C6Z is the shift ****, bolts right into a C5.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM
jonlugod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_27
Lower rear spring rate? Looks a bit more stable now, hard to tell if that was the surface though I guess.
I went back to a softer leaf package all around for San Diego which is known to have horrible grip. The car felt just right but majority of my race sites are high grip. I've been working with VBP on some leaf stuff and will continue testing again after the tour.

Last edited by jonlugod; 02-27-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:04 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been enjoying watching you guys dial this car in the past couple of events. Just discovered this thread...subscribed!

Quick Reply: OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015