Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you willing to talk about your tire strategy for Nationals? I had some trouble with the RE-71Rs overheating with a co-driver on a 60s course in 85F ambient. So, I was wondering if you had any tips for running closer to optimal tire conditions for Nationals aside from cutting off the OPR and spraying them down with water. And I'm not ashamed to ask this newb question since I'm going to my first national championship this year... but why is it the car owner or decided *fast guy* who runs as the second driver in a given car? Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks you care to share.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the post, but I wanted to ask if you made a switch to a lightweight battery?

It seems there's a potential for about 20lbs weight savings. I know it's not much, but every little bit counts, right?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the post, but I wanted to ask if you made a switch to a lightweight battery?

It seems there's a potential for about 20lbs weight savings. I know it's not much, but every little bit counts, right?

20 lbs is huge.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:24 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

What does the stock battery weigh? Battery tenders has a battery that'll start the car and weights 3.75 lbs for about $225.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine weighed just over 31lbs, so the potential is there for a 25+ lb savings if you went to extremes:

Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM
jonlugod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Are you willing to talk about your tire strategy for Nationals? I had some trouble with the RE-71Rs overheating with a co-driver on a 60s course in 85F ambient. So, I was wondering if you had any tips for running closer to optimal tire conditions for Nationals aside from cutting off the OPR and spraying them down with water. And I'm not ashamed to ask this newb question since I'm going to my first national championship this year... but why is it the car owner or decided *fast guy* who runs as the second driver in a given car? Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks you care to share.
Nothing I haven't done already with my co-driver. Typical run 1st runs, then maybe spray after that or 2nd runs.

Also make sure that your setup isn't overheating one axle pair over the other. On our Vette, all 4 tires come up to temp equally for the most part. If your front tires come up to temp faster than the rear, chances are your setup is highly understeer biased. If your rear heats much faster than the fronts than it is oversteer biased.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
jonlugod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jesup16

We actually have an Optima Red battery in the car. It came with it when we bought it and it was relatively new. I've had nothing but trouble with lightweight batteries and just didn't care to venture that route again. I suspect the battery weighs somewhere between 30-40lbs. The corner weights are all good so i'm not too worried about it.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Just remember that the front tires are blasted with heat from the engine and cooling fans too. So I'd not 100% say if your fronts are hotter the car is biased to push. There is a whole lotta heat coming off the front between fans and the headers too.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:29 PM
jonlugod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just remember that the front tires are blasted with heat from the engine and cooling fans too. So I'd not 100% say if your fronts are hotter the car is biased to push. There is a whole lotta heat coming off the front between fans and the headers too.
True, I evaluate based on skidpad so heat generated by engine and brakes is significantly less when picking up temp via tire temp probe.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by jonlugod
Nothing I haven't done already with my co-driver. Typical run 1st runs, then maybe spray after that or 2nd runs.

Also make sure that your setup isn't overheating one axle pair over the other. On our Vette, all 4 tires come up to temp equally for the most part. If your front tires come up to temp faster than the rear, chances are your setup is highly understeer biased. If your rear heats much faster than the fronts than it is oversteer biased.
Thanks for your input. Just wondering if you were doing anything crazy like swapping tires after second runs or anything like that.

My front tires do seem to heat up more than the rears. But aside from the differential (which of course is no small thing to overlook in terms of balance), I came to a similar final setup to yours in terms of springs and swaybars which you can see in my build thread. I have a bit more front spring and a bit less front bar adjustment. Seems to be very balanced to me though in terms of handling performance. Part of the heat issue is the radiator fans blowing hot air on the front tires. I'll typically spray fronts, rears, then fronts again due to that. I've run a more oversteer prone setup in the past and I can't drive the car straight. Anyway, rock on.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your input. Just wondering if you were doing anything crazy like swapping tires after second runs or anything like that.
I'm bringing four sets of tires if that makes you feel any better Andrew.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by ltborg
I'm bringing four sets of tires if that makes you feel any better Andrew.
Haha, I'd expect nothing less. I'll be bringing one set with spares and running overheated tires. I'm hoping to learn a lot of tricks like this one and meet a lot of cool folks out there. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Mr. Lugod looks like the lone wolf Corvette in STU for the Pro Finale. Surely will represent. Kriz cracks off 1.6s 60' times whether it's wet or dry, so it will be fun to see how this plays out.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on the Trophy Jon and top time in STU on Friday!

Last edited by jesup16; 09-11-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM
jonlugod
Intermediate

Default Solo Nationals and ProFinale

Latergram post for Solo Nationals.

Unfortunately due to some uncontrollable circumstances I was left a single driver for both ProFinale and Solo Nationals.

ProSolo went off fine. There was some minor understeer that I was fighting during both days of ProSolo. I didn't pick up the fact that I was running too much front rebound. By the time I did, it was too late. Ended up last in a class of 5 with the margin from first to fifth being less than half a second. I ended up 2nd in Overall Year End Points for STU.

Solo Nationals Day 1
After ProSolo I reduced the front rebound and hit the test n tune course to verify some car behavior changes. Sure enough, less rebound and the car was turning really well. On Day 1 East course i found exactly how much better the car turned.... way too much.

First runs were the loosest the car had ever felt. I knew this going into the first turn as it was a drift fest. Even though I dialed down my aggression throughout the run, I knew there was something very wrong. One thing I noticed was that the car had way more front grip than it ever had. One Run 2 I desperately set the car back to the ProSolo setting. This run although better had a ton of entry push (rebound). During this run I knew it was not the fast way to go and driving around it would not get me the times that I needed.

After assessing the results of run 1 and 2, I decided to go to full stiff on the front swaybar and dial back the rebound. This change was perfect and wish I had ran this since day one. In fact this was the setup I've been running all year long back home at El Toro and Crow's Landing. Some foolish changes were made the event prior to Nationals that probably should of never happened.

On my third run, I just couldnt get back on pace. Even though the car felt great, I just couldn't muster the confidence I once had before run 1. The loose car really messed me up mentally. Unfortunately I did not have video for Day 1.

Day 2
With the car working well at the tail end of Day 1, I was confident in coming back hard for Day 2. All three runs the car worked great and I was able to charge hard on the more difficult / tighter course. In the end I set fastest clean time on the West Course and put myself within half a second of the win. Had the car handled the same way on Day one, I'm pretty confident the car would have won. But its always a game of woulda coulda shoulda right?

Back Home

Its been nearly 3 weeks from Nationals and the car works great back home. Took the win over Jeff Stuart by a little over a tenth and put myself back into contention for the year end regional championship (accidentally left the line with TC on!!!) . We've been going back and forth all year and will value this year end battle more than what happened at Nationals just due to the fact that we both were developing cars and the competition between us doesn't stop at just one event

The car will officially be for sale after SEMA 2015. If you are in the Las Vegas area during SEMA you could come check out the car! It will be a featured vehicle amongst other show cars. Will likely not win any show car prizes but at least it does help exposure for all our sponsors.

Last edited by jonlugod; 10-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by jonlugod
Latergram post for Solo Nationals.

Unfortunately due to some uncontrollable circumstances I was left a single driver for both ProFinale and Solo Nationals.

ProSolo went off fine. There was some minor understeer that I was fighting during both days of ProSolo. I didn't pick up the fact that I was running too much front rebound. By the time I did, it was too late. Ended up last in a class of 5 with the margin from first to fifth being less than half a second. I ended up 2nd in Overall Year End Points for STU.

Solo Nationals Day 1
After ProSolo I reduced the front rebound and hit the test n tune course to verify some car behavior changes. Sure enough, less rebound and the car was turning really well. On Day 1 East course i found exactly how much better the car turned.... way too much.

First runs were the loosest the car had ever felt. I knew this going into the first turn as it was a drift fest. Even though I dialed down my aggression throughout the run, I knew there was something very wrong. One thing I noticed was that the car had way more front grip than it ever had. One Run 2 I desperately set the car back to the ProSolo setting. This run although better had a ton of entry push (rebound). During this run I knew it was not the fast way to go and driving around it would not get me the times that I needed.

After assessing the results of run 1 and 2, I decided to go to full stiff on the front swaybar and dial back the rebound. This change was perfect and wish I had ran this since day one. In fact this was the setup I've been running all year long back home at El Toro and Crow's Landing. Some foolish changes were made the event prior to Nationals that probably should of never happened.

On my third run, I just couldnt get back on pace. Even though the car felt great, I just couldn't muster the confidence I once had before run 1. The loose car really messed me up mentally. Unfortunately I did not have video for Day 1.

Day 2
With the car working well at the tail end of Day 1, I was confident in coming back hard for Day 2. All three runs the car worked great and I was able to charge hard on the more difficult / tighter course. In the end I set fastest clean time on the West Course and put myself within half a second of the win. Had the car handled the same way on Day one, I'm pretty confident the car would have won. But its always a game of woulda coulda shoulda right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJlSCUfOP8

Back Home

Its been nearly 3 weeks from Nationals and the car works great back home. Took the win over Jeff Stuart by a little over a tenth and put myself back into contention for the year end regional championship (accidentally left the line with TC on!!!) . We've been going back and forth all year and will value this year end battle more than what happened at Nationals just due to the fact that we both were developing cars and the competition between us doesn't stop at just one event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHrqeTzpzI

The car will officially be for sale after SEMA 2015. If you are in the Las Vegas area during SEMA you could come check out the car! It will be a featured vehicle amongst other show cars. Will likely not win any show car prizes but at least it does help exposure for all our sponsors.
Great detailed report. I made some dumb changes at nationals, myself. In the future, I will consider running spring nats just for more time with the surface.

Will a part-out thread hit the autocross classifieds here assuming the car doesn't sell as a whole?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

Great detailed report. I made some dumb changes at nationals, myself. In the future, I will consider running spring nats just for more time with the surface.

Will a part-out thread hit the autocross classifieds here assuming the car doesn't sell as a whole?
That is the plan as of right now.
What parts were you interested in?

Get notified of new replies

To OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Put me down for the springs! Jon said you guys were unsure about taking the car all the way apart to get to the diff but if you do I would also want that.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

I'd be all over that magic differential. Matt's too fast though. So I may have to eventually just buy one new. lol
Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 PM
itzmik3
Advanced

Car is officially for sale!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591400645

PM or email for quickest response

Quick Reply: OS Giken STU FRC Corvette Build Thread - Road to Lincoln 2015