Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Helmet recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
It looks like the helmet did its job to me by absorbing the hit and not transferring the energy of that hit to your wife's head.. If she hit hard enough to cause a concussion then she hit pretty hard. Are you thinking the helmet should not have cracked under that level of hit or that it should have saved your wife from a concussion?
Agreed! The helmet did it's job!
Yes, it’s awesomely light!
But In my “opinion”, for the co$t difference, I don’t think it performed any better.
Again my “opinion” I believe that any good quality helmet would have accomplished the same result as far as protection is concerned.

What concerned me most and probably has nothing to do with it being CF, was where the bar impacted the raised ridge and focused all of the energy to one concentrated point of impact, causing the vertical crack on the ridge.
Once the ridge cracked and collapsed, it allowed the bar to further impact the surface horizontally. With the surface already compromised and flexed inward, it then cracked in the horizontal direction.

I had a similar impact with a Kevlar composite Bell helmet with a smooth, non-contoured surface and it did not crack.
I "think" it had something to do with a larger smooth surface impact area to help spread the energy.

I’m not an engineer and this is all “personal opinion” based on our limited crash experience.

With all of that said, “I” will not use a helmet with ridges molded into the surface!

Remember, these are "MY" opinions and I hope my ramblings made some sort of sense!

Quick Reply: Seeking Helmet recommendations.