Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Active Handling codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 PM
William Atkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Active Handling codes

My last track session ended when I lost ABS and struggled to stop in a straight line. The ABS and Service Active Handling message showed on the dash so I packed up the car. My local brake mechanic did an OBD scan and several codes showed up C0040, C0050, C0221, C0196, and C0253. I know these are wheel sensor codes and others. The connections look good. Now what? I appears that these are difficult to sort out. Help! My car is a 2007 Z06, Wilwood brakes, ARH headers, poly bushings and a few other mods.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:18 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

A shot wheel bearing could damage the sensor and cause ABS and AH issues. How much track time do you have on your bearings? If your running Hoosiers or slicks they will have an even shorter life.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

copied from a post the other day

Originally Posted by el es tu
ive found that the connectors on the lines going to the wheel speed sensors corrode and cause issues. You may want to check them out.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Hmmmmmmm,,,,,, VERY INTERESTING! GM has had very POOR reliability with certain female connector pins. The C5 wheel speed sensor female pins are a very good example. They spread and loose contact with the male pin. Very common issue. Heres a good connector and a bad one:

Bill C

you can bend the corroded pins so that they contact the sensor's as a temporary fix until replacement. should be around 30 bucks each.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You have several errors. Two are the right front and right rear wheel speed sensors, one is a lateral acceleration error another is a steering angle centering error and one is a control error where the right front channel is held in release too long. You don't report the two following characters that come with each of the wheel speed sensor codes so it is hard to tell which of three possible conditions are occurring. All three conditions could result in replacement of the hubs but two of them could indicate EBCM voltage issues.

Usually when a multiple problems show up that supposedly aren't connected you need to look at the common connection which is voltage and ground being supplied to the EBCM. You need to check the ground connection for the EBCM and also the voltage supply going to the unit. If there is corrosion or dirt or a loose connection anywhere where there is a connection to the battery, fuses, the EBCM connector or the frame ground for the EBCM you could get the results you are seeing. Probably need somebody other than a brake guy to figure things out.

Here is a list of the codes and what they mean. There are diagnostics for each of these codes but I think your problem will be found by inspection and use of a DVM checking for voltage and resistance.

DTC C0040 00 : Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0040 0F : Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Erratic Signal

DTC C0040 18 : Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Signal Amplitude Less Than Minimum

DTC C0050 00 : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

DTC C0050 0F : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Erratic Signal

DTC C0050 18 : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Signal Amplitude Less Than Minimum

DTC C0196 00: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit

DTC C0196 09: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Rate of Change Fault

DTC C0196 1A: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Bias Level Out Of Range

DTC C0196 52: Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Compare Failure

DTC C0221: Right Front ABS Channel in Release Too Long

DTC C0253 00: Centering Error

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS and Active Handling codes

Quick Reply: ABS and Active Handling codes