Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny how things work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:50 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Funny how things work.

I was poking around Craigslist for some wheels for my 2000 FRC to test fit somethings before building my Forgestars, and two nice things happened from it.

The first and most pertinent to this forum was this. I was figuring since I'm taking a truck to CA was that I'd look for some stuff while out there. Found some wheels that suit my short term needs, and they happen to have some R1's on them which I can't really use, use, but I might burn up next spring at a track day. Anyway, I shot off an email, and the seller replied with a number. Turns out we not only share a name, but a passion for performance driving, etc. He is a track guy, and apparently pretty quick, and thinking about a sanctioned road race car. Maybe I made a new gearhead friend (and maybe a new customer too)... AND turns out he's on the forum here too.

Looking forward to meeting you Sam, if you're reading this. I'll call you when I get in the area if since you're a car guy you should come to my girlfriend's place (she's a car girl) and check out her C6Z06, Elise, Elan, Pantera, or maybe the '94 Supra Turbo.

The other, started in a similar way. I found an add for some C6Z06 wheels, nice and fairly priced. I'm not in the market but looked. The add said the wheels were 18.5"x10.5, and 19.5"x13". Which anyone reading this will immediately know is wrong (if not for the 1/2" diameter sizes which isn't a thing, then because those cars use 18x9.5" and 19x12" wheels). So I figured I'd try and help this stranger out and sent him this:

"I hope you find this helpful and not troublesome and consider it an unsolicited service. I saw your add while searching for some wheels for my C5. I also have a C6Z but have lots of wheels already or yours would be great. If you are having trouble moving yours it could be due to the sizes you have listed. While that's what they measure overall on diameter and width, the specs are taken from the tire bead area, and the wheels are 18x9.5" front, 19x12" rear. If you'd like to confirm the sizes are also printed in the wheel hub on the back.
Anyway, you might get a little more play on the wheels with that change to your ad to reflect the actual rim sizes. If I was a bother, I'm sorry. Just trying to pay it forward a bit.
Have a Merry Christmas and nice New Year."

I assumed I'd get nothing, or some nasty response back. I got the response back today, and to my pleasant surprise, this was what it said:

"No offence taken, Sam. Thanks for the heads-up. I've adjusted the add so hopefully that generates more interest!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours also!
Andy"

Couple of nice fellow Corvette owners kind of tripped on via the power of the internet, and small world that the first and I are both on this site!
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
slamminsam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam

Thank you for the kind words. I come a from a jetski racing background so transitioning to a car has come to me quickly. I think for three reasons. The 1st is the awesome support and help I receive form this forum. The second is the coaches I have working with me.
The third is my drive to reach a childhood dream.

Just like you I was on Craigslist looking for a harness bar and race seat for a 02Z06, when I met another corvette owner who had a SCCA racing background. We quickly became friends and he decided he wanted to mentor me. After a few events he introduced me to his mentor "Lew Larimer".

For those that know Lew he still holds several track records in a GT1 car from the mid 2000's. I have been so lucky to have Lew train me. Funny thing is I had to cut a girlfriend loose because she was jealous of my new found love and Lew.

Now I have had the honor to talk another champion in the sport and this champion is once again willing to share secrets and give practical advice based on experience.

Sam , I too look forward to meeting you and hopefully attending an autocross event so you can show me how its done!

Thanks again for the kind words and I'm sending good vibes to the universe for safe travels to the sunny state of CA

I love this forum of corvette owners and take pride in saying I'm associated with a group of truly special people.

Sam Peterson

Quick Reply: Funny how things work.