Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretching the Grandsport's legs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Stretching the Grandsport's legs

Hi Guys,

I live in New Jersey. I have a 2010 Grandsport that sits in my garage mostly and has a whopping 3,200 miles on it. Obviously, I don't get out much. Is there anywhere near me where I could take my car, like one of those off road, abandoned airport runways, where I could stretch my car out (150 mph or more) to really have some fun with it?

There are a few racetracks near me, but I'm not a racetrack guy and fear crashing around a tight corner, also 1/4 mile is more about practice and skill to get good times and doesn't really get you into the upper gears or speeds. I'm just looking to go all out, straight ahead like I saw some car hobbyists doing in Europe on an abandoned airport runway. I'm not looking to use public highways, so please no recommendations for ideal public roads....LOL!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The best thing you can do is sign up for a school at the Glen. You will get an instructor in the right seat who will help you learn how to get around a corner fast. Use www.motorsportsreg.com to see when various groups are booked for Glen track time. I instructed with BMW clubs, Phoenix CMR, NASA and Trackmasters at the Glen. Trackmasters and the BMW clubs are the best ones to use. The car can get around a corner much faster than any first timer can drive it and having an instructor in the car provides the direct input you need to learn how to use the car's capability.

You really don't want to be doing any 150 mph runs until you have some driving instruction anyways. Driving fast takes experience just like throwing a football or baseball properly takes experience.

Bill
Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Our opportunities to do high speed runs in the North East are very limited. I'm not aware of any organizers who put something together in NY, NJ, PA, MA area. Out in Ohio there is the East Coast Timing Association who stage a few events each year (http://ecta-lsr.net). They use to stage an event in Maxton, NC each year but I can't find anything recent on the internet about that one.

On the other hand your car could potentially touch 150 on the front straight of Thunderbolt at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville...but then you have to brake hard for turn 1 . No need to worry about the twisties, your car is very capable. You should at least try a day at a track before deciding its not for you. There are numerous race tracks in the area and a variety of promotors staging 'track day' events. I instruct for a group called Hooked On Driving (look them up). They will have several events in New Jersey in 2015. They are one of the best in the business working with folks brand new to high performance driving - very safe, small run groups, carefully selected instructors. If you want any help picking an event or have questions feel free to send me a PM.

Brad
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Was the others have said, go to a track with a good organization. You will learn how to handle your car at speed and it's not a simple as just stepping on the right pedal. You have several groups and locations available in your area: Lime Rock, NJ Motorsports Park, Pocono, all relatively close. There are several groups that run tight well organized and safe track events that welcome Corvettes: ACNA (Audi club), BMW CCA, Cumberland Valley Corvette Club and Hooked on Driving.

I created the Corvette Museum's High Performance Driving Program and have instructed for 16 years at tracks around the country with lots of groups. Btw I'm from Livingston NJ. Feel free to contact me directly, roc.linkov@gmail.com.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by danm1
where I could stretch my car out (150 mph or more) to really have some fun with it?
I have the same car as you, a stock GS. I don't think many if any road courses will allow you that 150 mph speed you seek. I have driven mine at Road America, Sebring, and PBIR, and the fastest I've hit is 145 mph at all three tracks, never 150.

Daytona is where you want to go. I've been over 150 every lap out. That track is a blast!

http://www.flatoutmotorsports.us/#all
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
...I don't think many if any road courses will allow you that 150 mph speed you seek. I have driven mine at Road America, Sebring, and PBIR, and the fastest I've hit is 145 mph at all three tracks, never 150.
Pocono - some of the road course configurations include turn 1 and 2 of the banked NASCAR track. I hit 150+ in a C5. C6Z guys were over 170.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Pocono - some of the road course configurations include turn 1 and 2 of the banked NASCAR track. I hit 150+ in a C5. C6Z guys were over 170.
Exactly what I was thinking. For one session we use the entire tri-oval. I was instructing in a Switzer P800 GTR seeing an indicated 171, driving the ACR seeing 171 which is about top speed and the guys in the faster C6Z's were all over 170 mph as well.

Riesentoter PCA. Unfortunately it's the fall event in September we rent the whole track. We are there in May but only use the North course.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen some organizations run the whole pocono oval on occasion. Doesn't do anything for me though so I don't remember which ones they were.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Thanks Guys!

I'll be signing up for an instructor this Spring....now you got me excited!! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
I have the same car as you, a stock GS. I don't think many if any road courses will allow you that 150 mph speed you seek. I have driven mine at Road America, Sebring, and PBIR, and the fastest I've hit is 145 mph at all three tracks, never 150.

Daytona is where you want to go. I've been over 150 every lap out. That track is a blast!

http://www.flatoutmotorsports.us/#all

None of them have enough distance for a novice to get 150. However, once he gets some experience and learns how to drive at speed on a road course he can easily get to 150 mph on the back straight at the Glen or on the Long Pond Straight on the Pocono long course.

Bill
Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Pocono long course is one of the few tracks I would love to drive but havent been on. Michigan speedway and Indianapolis are two others on my wish list, but I have yet to find anyone that rents them for a HPDE.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
I'll be signing up for an instructor this Spring....now you got me excited!! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
Great choice! Make sure you sign up for an event on Thunderbolt first, it's my favorite of the NJMP tracks.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Track days are highly addictive, there you have been warned...

Don't be disappointed in speeds on your first session. My instructor limited my speeds to a conservative 85mph and 3rd gear allowing me to concentrate on the line and the turns. Now I'm at 135 on the short tracks where the instructors are at 141.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If you get addicted it's a long slippery slope. On the other hand most people drop out after 1 or 2 track days.

The Chin novice group fills up immediately. If you're solo qualified you can usually sign up a week before the event.

I'm not sure which group is the smartest. Hoosier and Wilwood of course want me to keep running track days.

btw - Turn 1 at Pocono is a real trip. I also love coming out of 3 onto the front straight. That front straight is simply amaaing.

Richard Newton
Track Day Primer

Get notified of new replies

To Stretching the Grandsport's legs

Quick Reply: Stretching the Grandsport's legs