Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a shim or washere on steering knickle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is there a shim or washere on steering knickle?

After putting everything back together after Turn One rebuild of rack, now there is play in the steering. The bolt thru the steering rack head is tight. But there is play there. Was there a washer/shim there that I missed removing it? Where would I get one?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't recall any shim or washer in that area. I would contact the guys at Turn One for advice. Maybe there is an adjustment in the rack itself that can take the play out of the system.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The play is not in the rack, but in the connection. It looks like it needs a washer/shim as the collar is too big for the stud coming out of rack head. I just don't remember there being one.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
The play is not in the rack, but in the connection. It looks like it needs a washer/shim as the collar is too big for the stud coming out of rack head. I just don't remember there being one.
Mine was like that when I had bubba do my balancer the first time. He had to loosen it up, he didn't pull the rack but he moved it to get the balancer on. The idiot did not properly TORQUE IT.

I had to drive it all the way back to his stupid shop, loose steering & all so he could tighten it.

Since then I had to do it over because his half azz balancer job leaked, so I taught myself to do it right. See video.

I don't have the torque spec for you but look it up & tighten the sucker to spec. I may have the spec in my video.

There is a lot of torque going thru that connection as you twist the steering wheel.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally figured out issue. I disconnected collar from rack head and reinstalled it. When I was tightening up the bolt, the collar would work its way off towards the rear. Therefore it was not seated on rack head stud completely. I presume this prevented it from being able to be tightened properly. Drove to work today and all is good. Getting upadated tune Friday, install new accusump and I will be ready for track season!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Finally figured out issue. I disconnected collar from rack head and reinstalled it. When I was tightening up the bolt, the collar would work its way off towards the rear. Therefore it was not seated on rack head stud completely. I presume this prevented it from being able to be tightened properly. Drove to work today and all is good. Getting upadated tune Friday, install new accusump and I will be ready for track season!
Good work!

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a shim or washere on steering knickle?

Quick Reply: Is there a shim or washere on steering knickle?