Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From a 4th Gen FBody to C5 Z06, operating costs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:14 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I found brake hop to be much worse with the LS1 car than the LT1 car.

My LS1 car had no traction control which means only 3 channel ABS. Put in a proportioning valve downstream of the ABS box and could dial out as much rear brake as I wanted i.e more rear bias in the wet and less in the dry. Even less with better tires. I would run Hawk Ht-10 or 14 up front and HPS or + in the rear. Koni SAs set pretty soft in the rear and about 3/4 stiff up front.The car would stand on it's nose (front spring rate about 600lb/in) but the dreaded hop virtually disappeared. I still haven't managed to get my C5Z to be as stable under heavy braking.

When I said "stock" C5Z, I really mean stock i.e. stock alignment. (Had to do that this past year with our local Time-Attack series due to rule changes that affected my car model specifically). Without alignment, and with a 275/295 stagger, I have found the car to understeer quite badly. There will be a lot of changes for next year but I will have to run in a faster class. OTOH, the C5Z totally stock puts down faster lap times than the Camaro ever did on fast tracks but not on slower tracks despite the obvious power/wgt advantages (and frankly I was driving the Camaro significantly better)

What brake setup was on the front? Cooling ducts?
Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What brake setup was on the front? Cooling ducts?
Stock LS1 brakes with ghetto home made cooling ducts which took a bit of high pressure from the front lip spoiler which normally directs air to the radiator. They actually seemed to work quite well. Tires ranged from Toyo RA-1s to NT-01s and NT-05s. I found Hoosier R6s would destroy front hubs in a weekend. (Brakes would easily overpower the NT-05s) OTOH, remember I just had stock LS1 power and the car weighed nearly 3500 lb without me in it.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Stock LS1 brakes with ghetto home made cooling ducts which took a bit of high pressure from the front lip spoiler which normally directs air to the radiator. They actually seemed to work quite well. Tires ranged from Toyo RA-1s to NT-01s and NT-05s. I found Hoosier R6s would destroy front hubs in a weekend. (Brakes would easily overpower the NT-05s) OTOH, remember I just had stock LS1 power and the car weighed nearly 3500 lb without me in it.
Any vids?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Any vids?
Sorry but no. Might be able to find some pics if needed. What exactly are you looking for?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you want to drive the car on the street? Much like me, it sounds like you prefer to push the limits of car and driver. In my opinion that can't be done without a minimum of a full cage. I've seen too many car on car/car on wall contacts to want to hit anything without a cage.

If you're thinking full cage car, why not find a well sorted GTA (ex-Asa) stock car? They can be had for 15-20k, are exponentially safer than a non-caged Vette, and are faster and cheaper to maintain than your average Z.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Well I came across a good deal.........

2003 with 47,000 miles

Old 12-30-2014, 09:45 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Well I came across a good deal.........

2003 with 47,000 miles

Can tell for sure, but are these replica wheels?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tytek
Can tell for sure, but are these replica wheels?
Yes, 18/19's

I dont't really like them but they are growing on me.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, 18/19's

I dont't really like them but they are growing on me.
I used to have a set that came on my car when I bought them. The Motorsports I had looked great, but were heavy as sin. I sold them and went Alcoa on the car for track use. Then sold the car after I got a dedicated track Z06.

Quick Reply: From a 4th Gen FBody to C5 Z06, operating costs.