Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Vehicle Advice - Keep C5 or Something Else?
Keep mod'd C5 'til it dies - Enjoy the heck out of it!
67.65%
Go for a used C6Z06
20.59%
C7Z51
5.88%
C7Z06 and that new car smell
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Mod'd C5 Street/Track Beast or C6 or C7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mod'd C5 Street/Track Beast or C6 or C7?

All,

I am the proud owner of a currently mod'd and fully paid off 2002 coupe (air/engine/exhaust/accusump/tranny/clutch/diff). I've thoroughly enjoyed every now and then at HPDEs and Track Days since about 2003. Guys actually yell over to me at stoplights that they like the lope of the beast and want to trade their mini vans for it! Seats aside, it's what I wanted it to be when I started the mod journey.

After 13 years though, a dangerous thought to my wallet has occurred: should I sell the C5 and go for a used C6Z06, C7Z51 or the new C7Z06?

Are those stock vehicles that good that I should incur debt again? What say ye in the street/track day community? Thanks in advance for the constructive comments and selections!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Your C5 Z06!
I have a race car for the track, and a C5 Z06 for the street.
I love my C5Z. The C6 Z06 is "better" in every way.......BUT, it's NOT $30,000 better (or $50,000 better) depending on what year etc.
In addition, the LS6 is considered "bullet proof" by T1 competitors, while the C6Z has known head/valve guide issues.
The C7 Z06 is an incredible machine, and a leap forward over the C6Z, BUT......I plan to wait and see, because I would never buy a "first year" car of any model year, and also same financial issues above hold for both C5 and C6 Z06 in comparison to the C7Z.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 12-22-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

C5. Are the other cars better and probably faster? Possibly. Are they worth the difference in $$ if $$ is a question that has to be asked? IMO No.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

C6Z's are still sky high in price, close to a C7 and they have head issues. I'd say keep the C5, because the mod journey just starts over with a new car.....

I'm just getting started on the C5 track trip. I have about three years of mods planned based on budget. Why start over, rack up the track days instead!

Thank you for the post, now I know what thoughts come along after I get my C5 properly sorted for the track
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The C7 is the right mix of performance and price if you change up cars.

That said... the cost effective thing to do is keep your C5 running. There's nothing on the C5 that can't be upgraded to be as good as the C6Z, except the aluminum frame really.

Keep in mind with any of those cars, you'd be also needing to do thousands of dollars in safety mods over the price of the car. With a C6Z, I'd probably budget for valveguides. With a C7Z51, I'd budget for engine cleaning every year. With a C7Z, I'd budget untold thousands for many, many cooling upgrades.

So your choices are C6Z or keep the C5.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks are subjective so to each his own. But mechanically and electronically the c5 is a much better car. The only thing a c6z has going for it is lighter frame, more room for tires, and of course more power/beefier tranny. But of course most people mod the motor and tranny anyway, so that advantage cancels out.

Forget about the later cars. They were designed by marketing people and designed by a bunch ee idiots. The c5z was the last truly well tuned chassis.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theseal
Looks are subjective so to each his own. But mechanically and electronically the c5 is a much better car. The only thing a c6z has going for it is lighter frame, more room for tires, and of course more power/beefier tranny. But of course most people mod the motor and tranny anyway, so that advantage cancels out.

Forget about the later cars. They were designed by marketing people and designed by a bunch ee idiots. The c5z was the last truly well tuned chassis.
I won't speak to the latter half, but the C5 can be modded to fit just as much tire as the wide C6, as well as the driveline parts that you pointed out.

In the end if your objective is to go fast, the C5Z is the most cost-effective route to take.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Obviously keeping the C5 is the the safest of the choices, especially since it's paid off. You never want to put anything on the track that you can't afford to ball up and walk away from.
That being said, I would be looking closer at the C7Z51, it's the best of the rest. The C6Z has head and clutch issues, the C7Z is going to have heat issues, but the Z51 is a darn appealing option. So far the only thing I have heard/seen is that the brakes aren't up to the task and a brake kit is not such a bad thing. Throw a Essex AP kit on the front and enjoy.
I've driven a C7 on the street and it feels a lot like a C6Z power wise, look at what some of the tuners are getting out of the LT1 with an intake headers and a tune. Hard to get that much power out of a C5 without more cubes.

Since everyone else is saying C5 I'm just offering up another perspective. I would however wait a year or two to see how things shake out. Let's see how long the Z51 lasts for track use, we know that they can be fast, MTI is turning some darn good laps with there C7 at Road Atlanta. Plus who doesn't like a new toy every once an a while!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Let's keep in mind with the C7Z51... it's not as fast as the C6Z, it costs more, and the direct injection system is unproven.

You can get big gains on any LS engine with bolt ons and headers and tune. The new LT1 isn't unique in that.

A C6Z with new valvesguides is STILL cheaper than buying a new C7Z51, and a lot faster.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like you're asking because deep down, you want something new, otherwise you would just stick with your C5.
I almost can't help myself if I know I can get that new toy.
The problem is getting something new and having stupid issues. That check engine light comes on and your heart sinks.
I'd be nervous with a brand new C7. Those cars are packed with all kinds of gadgets that can give you a headache. Not that it will its just if you keep your C5 you can beat the hell out of that thing without a worry. I think the most fun to be had is when you're care free and can go all out!
The wise choice would be ***** to the walls with the C5 but then again, my heart yells "C7!"
People always say "Follow your heart...." and I feel that's what you really want to do so that's what I'm putting my vote in for.
I just hope you don't end up at the dealer later, looking back and thinking "I should have just kept the 5."

Last edited by FruiTay; 12-24-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Chris, I recommend sticking with your modified C5 for HPDE since its paid off and sorted out, etc. for the road courses. However, if you're ready to let it for something "new", I would consider a C6 Z06 or Grand Sport (both are "turn key" for the road courses) vs. a new C7. You can find a C6 Grand Sport for less than $40K vs. a new C7 for $25K more. Mike
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the feedback! There's a lot of common sense in what y'all have said, whatever car position you may have taken. As I may have indicated, I'm kind of feeling things out right now, and one never knows. But, I'm more than likely going to stick with my current mod'd C5. It can still kick a non-mod'd, non-race prepped Viper (at least when I last had it on the track) and still be streetable, even for l-o-n-g road trips. Hopefully, I don't have any unplanned, large dollar fixes in the foreseeable future. Be safe out there and have fun!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Chris, I recommend sticking with your modified C5 for HPDE since its paid off and sorted out, etc. for the road courses. However, if you're ready to let it for something "new", I would consider a C6 Z06 or Grand Sport (both are "turn key" for the road courses) vs. a new C7. You can find a C6 Grand Sport for less than $40K vs. a new C7 for $25K more. Mike
I'd have to agree here and with some others. I truly feel the C5 Z06 was the last true track capable Z built by GM that can take major punishment and keep on going. I would use that for track and HPDe and purchase a nice c6 Z/Grandsport or C7Z51 for the street.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
The C7 is electronically tied to OEM systems and that more-so than the C5 or C6.

So the best way to build a lightweight track car form a C7 would be to swap in an LS7 crate engine. Then that crate engine has an electronics that only runs the engine. Next, disconnect all the OEM systems and even pull out all fuse boxes, junction boxes, and electrical modules and re-wire. Also, throw away all electric motors and all airbags. Throw away the infotainment system and so on.

But the resulting car is a track car and not street legal.

Of course there has never been a reason to move from the C5 to the C6 unless its the C6 GS or C6 Z06.

Then the C7 Z06 is not a track car like the C6 Z06
I will respectively disagree with this because the electronically controlled, driver configurable differential is, in my opinion, the trickest thing about the new C7 Corvette.......from a track perspective
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I will respectively disagree with this because the electronically controlled, driver configurable differential is, in my opinion, the trickest thing about the new C7 Corvette.......from a track perspective
Well, the C7 is a HPDE car.

But a race car has adjustments. The C7 is not adjustable but allows selection of performance levels.

A race car has an adjustable limited-slip. A race car usually doesn't have anti-lock brakes but has a master cylinder with a brake balance bar. A race car doesn't have air bags, seat motors, and climate control.

The C7 also has a cylinder de-activation mechanism on the engine and on the muffler.

My point is, IF the car builder wants to take off the OEM systems then swapping in the crate engine is the way to do it. But I forgot that the Gen5 LT1 is also available as a crate engine. So the car builder could just use the LT1 crate engine electronics and then take the OEM systems off the car. However, the LS7 is a much better engine with titanium connecting rods and titanium intake valves.

Oh, when I said that the C7 Z06 is not a track car like the C6 Z06, I was referring to the fact that the C7 Z06 is more like the ZR1

Last edited by B Stead; 01-06-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mod'd C5 Street/Track Beast or C6 or C7?

Quick Reply: Mod'd C5 Street/Track Beast or C6 or C7?