Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you drive to track days or trailer your track car?
I drive to the track
42.50%
I trailer my track car to the track
56.25%
Swear ta me!
1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Drive to the track or trailer your track car? Poll!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:45 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Drive to the track or trailer your track car? Poll!

Do you prefer to drive to the track or trailer your track car?

This thread is created to quantify the number of responses to this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-track.html
Old 12-27-2014, 02:18 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

A track car should be trailered. Now a street car prepped for the track? I trailer either way.
I like knowing I have a way home no matter what happens (God forbid)
Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
A track car should be trailered. Now a street car prepped for the track? I trailer either way.
I like knowing I have a way home no matter what happens (God forbid)
this is true.
I'm not fixed well enough to buy a Truck & trailer though
and if I were ........... well i still prefer driving my vette to a truck
Old 12-27-2014, 11:28 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a Z06, it was designed to handle the rigors of track duty; to be driven to the track, and driven home.

Yet, if you are going to drive 10/10ths every lap and not manage the car, trying to be Joe Time-Trial Wanna-Be-Racer on track days (eg, not backing off when the brakes, engine, etc, get hot) then it's probably best to trailer it because **** will obviously fail.

Keep the car stock, with street tires, maintain it well and inspect and replace things proactively, and it will be a very reliable track car. A AAA membership can handle any towing needs if something happens. Start upgrading the tires, adding supercharges, go-fast mods, and driving it 10/10ths will likely cause reliability issues.

With that said, GM cars are not all that reliable, if I towed it to the track, then I'd also just tow it around town on the streets, with a Tundra doing the tow
Old 12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by hellrazr
With that said, GM cars are not all that reliable, if I towed it to the track, then I'd also just tow it around town on the streets, with a Tundra doing the tow
Then race your damned Tundra and move on to the toyota forum

I drive my car to the track and home. 99% of the people do, especially Vettes. It's rare to have problems.

And to the numnuts point above, I've seen plenty of Japanese cars get towed off the track, and a lot of German cars too. Anyone that has spent any time on the track will verify this.

My last event, the only thing that blew an engine was a Porsche. Other cars that broke crap were Mazda's, etc. Not a single Vette or Camaro broke anything.

Now that you mention it, not a single TOYota broke anything - oh wait, that's because I don't recall ever seeing any on the track LOL......

PS - And I even own a F150 and still choose to drive, not tow.

Last edited by Coach62; 12-29-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach62
Now that you mention it, not a single TOYota broke anything - oh wait, that's because I don't recall ever seeing any on the track LOL......
You might want to have your eyes checked, I can't imagine a track day not having anyone in an FRS or MR2 or Celica - all great cars from Toyota.

Well maintained cars of all makes tend to be reliable in my experience, this brand snobbery is stupid. Just about every company has made some great and terrible cars.

If you want to drive to the track and run the car all day and drive home without ever even bothering to even check your oil, then yeah buy a truck and trailer. Otherwise it's pretty unlikely that you will ever break even on the "investment" of a truck+trailer vs. paying for towing in the event of a breakdown.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by troyguitar
You might want to have your eyes checked, I can't imagine a track day not having anyone in an FRS or MR2 or Celica - all great cars from Toyota.

Well maintained cars of all makes tend to be reliable in my experience, this brand snobbery is stupid. Just about every company has made some great and terrible cars.

If you want to drive to the track and run the car all day and drive home without ever even bothering to even check your oil, then yeah buy a truck and trailer. Otherwise it's pretty unlikely that you will ever break even on the "investment" of a truck+trailer vs. paying for towing in the event of a breakdown.
Seriously, lots of them at the autocrosses, not many at the tracks I go to. They perform well at the autocross, but just get in the way at the track. Seriously in the way.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:46 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Coach62
Seriously in the way.
What I like to call "rolling chicanes".

As for the OP: I currently drive, and have driven all of my cars to and from the track since starting this activity back in '97. I have a truck. I don't have a trailer. I have the interest and desire to trailer my car, but I have to get over the mental hump of actually doing it.

Until then, I'm driving (on my Rs)

Last edited by jvp; 12-30-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive to the track...
Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As soon as you make the swap to track tires, tow it. If street tires you can't really push anything hard enough to have the risk of breaking stuff. If you aren't trailering you are just out there to have fun and goof off which is fine and how most start.

Buying a trailer and tow vehicle won't break anyone's bank. Problem is most people are snobs and are too stuck up to buy a ****** looking tow vehicle/trailer that run and drive fine. I tow my vette with a '94 4cyl manual Toyota truck. It is full throttle all the time dragon-fly the whole way. My trailer cost $1500 and has breaks and everything. Not pretty but gets the job done.

I am thankful I trailer considering all the spare parts and tools I have needed and use frequently.

I thought the same way about how much simpler it is to drive to the track till I got a trailer. Now I look back and think, "yea that was a waste of time"
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My track car is not street legal, that simplifies the choice...
Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I drive to the track pulling a trailer.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been broke at the track a couple of times (Local Though) enough to get me to buy a trailer big enough to tote the car.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Blackonblack89
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

All or nothing. I knew from the get go that I would need a truck/trailer. Did that first, then bough a dedicated track car. A pretty long-term goal(s) but it paid off. Took 3 years but it's all worth it. I had a ton of fun in my street z but I knew the track is where it's at.

Last edited by Blackonblack89; 12-30-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I drive to the track pulling a trailer.
Semantics

The poll requires a little more than just an ability to read...
Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tytek
Semantics

The poll requires a little more than just an ability to read...
Let me clarify. Pulling a trailer behind the Z
Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Let me clarify. Pulling a trailer behind the Z
Thank you. Reading comprehension, that's it.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive to the track or trailer your track car? Poll!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
I've been broke at the track a couple of times (Local Though) enough to get me to buy a trailer big enough to tote the car.
$400 towing bill from VIR to my house was enough to get me to invest $2000 in a trailer (already had a truck). It is much more convenient anyway. It was incredible how much stuff I could get in the car though.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by hellrazr
If it's a Z06, it was designed to handle the rigors of track duty; to be driven to the track, and driven home.

Yet, if you are going to drive 10/10ths every lap and not manage the car, trying to be Joe Time-Trial Wanna-Be-Racer on track days (eg, not backing off when the brakes, engine, etc, get hot) then it's probably best to trailer it because **** will obviously fail.

Keep the car stock, with street tires, maintain it well and inspect and replace things proactively, and it will be a very reliable track car. A AAA membership can handle any towing needs if something happens. Start upgrading the tires, adding supercharges, go-fast mods, and driving it 10/10ths will likely cause reliability issues.

I have been towing my car to the track on my 21 year old trailer with my 12 year old 100K Tahoe for 12 years. Like all cars the Tahoe has had a couple of issues over those years (no repair that took more than 1 day) but the engine/drivetrain are still going strong and the only issue I have is rust since the Tahoe sat outside in the salt and sand every winter for 11 years. Typical End of Life mileage on a Tahoe is in the 250K mile range so they have a pretty good durability record.

Obviously, truck purchasers don't agree with your Tundra thoughts since Toyota doesn't sell many of them in a year. Look around and see what all of the contractors are driving. New/Old Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. The reason they give reliable, low cost service.

Granted Toyota cars have a solid reputation but it is over blown. You can look at years of JD Power 3 year Dependability studies and the Toyota's although slightly better in average reliability/durability don't deserve the reputation they have. Over the last 12 years Toyotas have been averaging just under 2 failures per 3 year old vehicle while GM cars average just over 2 failures per 3 year old vehicle. That is the difference of making two trips to the shop Vs 3 trips when the vehicle is 3 years old. When the records are checked the myth isn't borne out in reality and it is obvious they don't really deserve the price differential people pay for them. However, for people who read the data it is nice to get just as good of a vehicle for less money.

Bill
Old 01-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have been towing my car to the track on my 21 year old trailer with my 12 year old 100K Tahoe for 12 years. Like all cars the Tahoe has had a couple of issues over those years (no repair that took more than 1 day) but the engine/drivetrain are still going strong and the only issue I have is rust since the Tahoe sat outside in the salt and sand every winter for 11 years. Typical End of Life mileage on a Tahoe is in the 250K mile range so they have a pretty good durability record.

Obviously, truck purchasers don't agree with your Tundra thoughts since Toyota doesn't sell many of them in a year. Look around and see what all of the contractors are driving. New/Old Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. The reason they give reliable, low cost service.

Granted Toyota cars have a solid reputation but it is over blown. You can look at years of JD Power 3 year Dependability studies and the Toyota's although slightly better in average reliability/durability don't deserve the reputation they have. Over the last 12 years Toyotas have been averaging just under 2 failures per 3 year old vehicle while GM cars average just over 2 failures per 3 year old vehicle. That is the difference of making two trips to the shop Vs 3 trips when the vehicle is 3 years old. When the records are checked the myth isn't borne out in reality and it is obvious they don't really deserve the price differential people pay for them. However, for people who read the data it is nice to get just as good of a vehicle for less money.

Bill
Bill,

How dare you bring pesky little things like facts to a discussion. Don't get me wrong, I looked at Tundras, but OMG are they massively over priced. Toy sure is proud of them. You can get a more fuel efficient Silverado for about 10K less, equally equipped (after incentives).

Quick Reply: Drive to the track or trailer your track car? Poll!