Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Backing Plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Pad Backing Plates

Should these be routinely discarded to promote heat transfer or should the mfr be contacted to discuss exact purpose? Very lightweight mat'l, maybe Ti? Pops off easily.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Looks like common anti squeal shims, they get discarded as the new pads will either have them, or they will not fit the new pads.

Some pads have them some don't.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

The purpose of the backing plates is to reduce heat transfer to the caliper pistons and brake fluid. They do this in 2 ways. Firstly, the Ti has lower thermal conductivity compared to steel and secondly by providing two interfaces (between the pad and the shim and the shim and the piston) that provide additional thermal resistance.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are actually using EBC pads..... Forget about those shims, throw the pads away before you even take them on a track. I used EBC yellow many years ago and got about 20 laps out of a set (in addition to learning the true meaning of the term "brake fade"). They are fine for street but absolutely garbage for track use.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ROBMARZ
The purpose of the backing plates is to reduce heat transfer to the caliper pistons and brake fluid. They do this in 2 ways. Firstly, the Ti has lower thermal conductivity compared to steel and secondly by providing two interfaces (between the pad and the shim and the shim and the piston) that provide additional thermal resistance.
That's the explanation I was looking for, tks. For track use, I presume they should not be used, yes?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark2009
That's the explanation I was looking for, tks. For track use, I presume they should not be used, yes?
Those are NOT Ti shims.

Read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...rake-shims.htm

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

Those are NOT Ti shims.

Read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...rake-shims.htm

you are correct the shims shown in OP are not Ti but that link is talking about completely different shims. Even non Ti shims will reduce heat transfer and prevent the piston from extending too far as the pad wears.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not yet picked up a set up Ti shims for mine, but what I do have is a spare set of pad base metal, when the pad material wears down I slide these in and it gives more metal that need to heat soak before it transfers that heat directly into the caliper pistons and takes up the extra pedal travel from the worn down pad material.

Perfect use of a worn down brake pad, the dust I created from my belt sander and the pad dust was actually pretty impressive getting the pad material cleaned off; I probably should have worn a dust mast...
Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ROBMARZ
you are correct the shims shown in OP are not Ti but that link is talking about completely different shims. Even non Ti shims will reduce heat transfer and prevent the piston from extending too far as the pad wears.
Yes of course you are right & it's not the best reference, I was in a hurry.

It just appeared that the OP had no idea what he was looking at. And then appeared that he was convinced they were Ti after absorbing your brief post.

Limitations of thread chat, I can only imagine how many miscommunications go on with tweeting and the limit on characters (why I don't do it).

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Default Thread drift alert

Guys, don't care what the material is, should they be discarded for track use?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Not IMO, the heat transfer will happen, they would affect that an immaterial amount & might make the pad not fit as well.

BTW I agree with another post, those are NOT in any way a track pad. See post #4, I have used EBC blue which is supposed to be more a "track" pad than yellow, they were "not useful" on a track.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-30-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
[...] BTW I agree with another post, those are NOT in any way a track pad. See post #4,
Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, they should be discarded when new pads are installed. Most, if not all, pads will come with new shims. You ought to use new ones each time, and make sure to lube you slider pins, as well as the pad/caliper contact areas (top and bottom of the pad), each time you put new pads on.

If you have Ti shims, you want to reuse them, as no pads that I know of come with titanium shims - discarding those, and putting new Ti ones each time, would get really expensive.

I always use shims on track pads, but not sure if they are absolutely necessary... as I have seen some people that don't use any. Squealing on the track is not an issue for me, and I don't think that steel shims offer enough heat resistance properties to make them worthwhile for that purpose.

Last edited by tytek; 12-30-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Backing Plates

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Backing Plates