Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engineering vs. technology. another jack olsen Porsche video

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engineering vs. technology. another jack olsen Porsche video

Engineering vs Technology: My old 911 and the new…:
Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It aint always about H.P...Its about Corner Speed . Nice post .
Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool comparison! I feel like id rather drive the ol' '72! A stick shift sways me a bit along with the corner speeds. Good work!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Cool comparison! I feel like id rather drive the ol' '72! A stick shift sways me a bit along with the corner speeds. Good work!
Oh definitely a stick over paddles. I used to valet for a 2nd job. I prefer a Zr1 over a ferrari 458 with paddles any day! Always disappointed when a sports car came in with paddle shifters.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I have spent lot's of time on the track trying to run down a couple friends in their 911's of this vintage. Never fails as I am doing it that I think to myself I can not believe how quick they are going with so little power in chassis that are 40 yrs old.

Here's one being driven at the limit and beyond. This guy is like magic and he's brave in one of these older cars.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I have spent lot's of time on the track trying to run down a couple friends in their 911's of this vintage. Never fails as I am doing it that I think to myself I can not believe how quick they are going with so little power in chassis that are 40 yrs old.

Here's one being driven at the limit and beyond. This guy is like magic and he's brave in one of these older cars.

How to drive (drift) a Porsche 911 at Spa Francorchamps - terrific onboard video - Porsche 904 - YouTube
That guy was lucky he did not cause a wreck if that was (I assume) an HPDE day.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:16 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea corner speed is great. Personally I like both. If he is competing with a car that has 200 more HP he just needs to add even 50hp to prob makeup another second. If he was in a specific class then that wouldn't be an option. However seeing how much modification he has made, I think it is time for an engine upgrade. Yea I know he isnt one to go shove a 30k Porsche engine in it, but there are other engines he could fit in there.

Everything I've read and seen of this guy is pretty cool and I really think he is top of the line in ingenuity, skill, and resourcefulness. However I would hypothesize he is a semi purist and still likes having a Porsche engine. For all the fab work he does he could replace the entire drive train easier than trying to get another few seconds with weight reduction or suspension upgrade and re-re-engineering other stuff.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

How to drive (drift) a Porsche 911 at Spa Francorchamps - terrific onboard video - Porsche 904 - YouTube
His car control is mesmerizing. Wow... it hurts to know that I will never be this good.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
That guy was lucky he did not cause a wreck if that was (I assume) an HPDE day.

It's Vintage racing. Even so his car control and pace is so far superior to everyone else's out there that his closing rates and close proximity to others while passing is startling. I imagine the other racers have become accustomed to his style.

Originally Posted by tytek
His car control is mesmerizing. Wow... it hurts to know that I will never be this good.
That's exactly how I felt when I saw it. I thought "This I can't do, and certainly not in a rear engined vintage 911."

I watched Jack Olsen's video a couple more times and his breakdown of the lap is very interesting. His attention to detail is impressive and I really like his car. Must be fun to drive something of that age that works that well with absolutely no "nannies".
Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 PM
JackOlsen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going on here? You guys are doing NOTHING to increase the rift between Porsche and Corvette guys.

Thanks for the kind words and the 100%-level-headed discussion.

Now, at the risk of revealing myself as a guy who sits in his garage talking about his car too much, here's a video German TV did about my car earlier this month.

I wouldn't call myself a purist, really. If there were a weigh to add an American V8 to my car what wouldn't add the weight and compexity of radiators and water lines -- and wouldn't blow my transaxle apart on the first lap -- I'd be all over it. I've got a swapped-in engine from a '95 911 now. I've got a Magnaflow muffler on the thing -- and ride-height sensors from a '95 Lincoln Continental. If I could get more (reliable) power for less-than-Porsche dollars, I'd be all over it. But weight and cost are big issues, even with a reliably-priced engine.

Last edited by JackOlsen; 12-30-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
What's going on here? You guys are doing NOTHING to increase the rift between Porsche and Corvette guys.

Now, at the risk of revealing myself as a guy who sits in his garage talking about his car too much, here's a video German TV did about my car earlier this month.

I wouldn't call myself a purist, really. If there were a weigh to add an American V8 to my car what wouldn't add the weight and compexity of radiators and water lines -- and wouldn't blow my transaxle apart on the first lap -- I'd be all over it. I've got a swapped-in engine from a '95 911 now. I've got a Magnaflow muffler on the thing -- and ride-height sensors from a '95 Lincoln Continental. If I could get more (reliable) power for less-than-Porsche dollars, I'd be all over it. But weight and cost are big issues, even with a reliably-priced engine.
With Corvette wheel barrels and a fiberglass body, you are closer to a Vette than you think. We appreciate that!

Thanks for sharing your journey with the car and performance driving. Now, does your secret to a great lap lay in those blue tinted safety glasses? I need all the help I can get
Old 12-30-2014, 04:58 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Nice work! I have the same long term plan for my C5z. I was once given advice from a guy that had built 6 Corvettes racecars from scratch. He said "If I'd put the combined efforts from the following 5 cars into the same first car, I'd probably be going faster". His main point was re-spending the money on the same basics every time he bought a new car.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

It's Vintage racing. Even so his car control and pace is so far superior to everyone else's out there that his closing rates and close proximity to others while passing is startling. I imagine the other racers have become accustomed to his style.

That's exactly how I felt when I saw it. I thought "This I can't do, and certainly not in a rear engined vintage 911."

I watched Jack Olsen's video a couple more times and his breakdown of the lap is very interesting. His attention to detail is impressive and I really like his car. Must be fun to drive something of that age that works that well with absolutely no "nannies".

My bad, if it's racing then good on him.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
My bad, if it's racing then good on him.

I found this on the driver. All I could find. He has a lot of seat time in older Porsches at Spa.

We did a little research on the driver, Pascal Pandelaar, who co-drove the car and didn't come up with much besides this forum post in which he explains "You have to deal with constant 4 wheel slides to be quick" in the bias ply equipped Porsche. Despite his wild driving style as of last year he hadn't crashed yet in any of the eight Circuit de Spa 6 hour races he has competed in.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Steve....cool clip!

Let me guess that one of those friends you chase is in an unassuming blue 69 Porsche
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spdislife
Hey Steve....cool clip!

Let me guess that one of those friends you chase is in an unassuming blue 69 Porsche
Hey Joe! Happy New Year!

Fred really gets around well in that thing. Never fails to amaze me when I am chasing him.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Joe! Happy New Year!

Fred really gets around well in that thing. Never fails to amaze me when I am chasing him.
Happy New Year to you too Steve.....and he sure does!

Get notified of new replies

To engineering vs. technology. another jack olsen Porsche video

Old 12-31-2014, 10:38 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get where you are coming from. Sometimes it is hard to take an entirely new direction after so much work in a direction that has yielded so much positive result. As ingenious as you are in every aspect of the car I'm sure we will be reading about something next year that solved your delema.

How about dropping a bugatti veyron power plant in? Bugatti is owned by VW, Porsche is basically a vw beetle so by that logic, a=b=c problem solved! (Just kidding low blow on the Porsche)

Last edited by rithsleeper; 12-31-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

awesome video!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
awesome video!
Great videos, but its mistitled. It's simply weight against way too much weight. The gt3 is a pig like all modern cars. That 72 is probably 800+ lbs lighter and on similar tires! thus the later braking zones and higher apex speeds. Forget these new pigs. Just put a motor in that kickass old 911 and let it rip!

Preferably an ls7!

Quick Reply: engineering vs. technology. another jack olsen Porsche video