Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasonable way to do an on/off oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 AM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reasonable way to do an on/off oil cooler?

Hey everyone, I have an 02 Z and would like to start prepping it to do a HPDE here or there as well as some autocross. Nothing crazy, I just want it reliable and fun on my everyday tires. I am comin from a full bolt on suspension and cammed LT1 f-body where I auto crossed it regularly, however it had a factory oil cooler.

My question is, is there any reasonable way to do an oil cooler with a shut off valve in line? My reasoning is during street driving and cruising, I like to get the oil temp up over 200 degrees or so to burn off condensation and such. I think with an external cooler it would be tough to get it that high just cruising around. However, even on the street when I start to get froggy in the summer, I get the oil up in the 240's, so I'm sure on a track after a few laps it will be pretty high.

I was trying to find some sort of AN crossover that I could put a valve after to bypass the cooler for everyday driving, then open it when it's needed.

Has anyone done this before? Opinions are welcomed. Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

Location: Jacksonville,nc and Williamsburg,va North Carolina and virginia
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uhhtaken
Faced with a similar situation, I put in an oil thermostat. Install, don't worry...

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Oil_Thermostat
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
95Z28M6
Instructor

That's a perfect answer. Actually on their page, Mocal makes one specifically for the LS series and works as the block take off, T-Stat and temp housing all in one. Looks like the easiest route. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was faced with the same concerns in my 02 Z06 and finally chose to go with a Dewitts radiator with integrated cooler. I like the idea of having fewer moving parts in the oil system, less to possibly fail. On the street it takes a bit longer for the oil to warm up but it gets up to temp no problem. For autocross oil temps are reduced can still climb if you hot lap a lot, there simply isnt much airflow over any cooler. I usually leave the hood open with the engine and fans running between runs and the oil temps drop quickly. On the track it works very well. I've done a 20min session right after finishing a 15min session and the oil just heats up to about 250F and stays there. Airflow makes all the difference!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default it's barbaric, but it works

Originally Posted by 95Z28M6
Hey everyone, I have an 02 Z and would like to start prepping it to do a HPDE here or there as well as some autocross. Nothing crazy, I just want it reliable and fun on my everyday tires. I am comin from a full bolt on suspension and cammed LT1 f-body where I auto crossed it regularly, however it had a factory oil cooler.

My question is, is there any reasonable way to do an oil cooler with a shut off valve in line? My reasoning is during street driving and cruising, I like to get the oil temp up over 200 degrees or so to burn off condensation and such. I think with an external cooler it would be tough to get it that high just cruising around. However, even on the street when I start to get froggy in the summer, I get the oil up in the 240's, so I'm sure on a track after a few laps it will be pretty high.

I was trying to find some sort of AN crossover that I could put a valve after to bypass the cooler for everyday driving, then open it when it's needed.

Has anyone done this before? Opinions are welcomed. Thanks
As everyone knows here in California our summer air temps get pretty high. Having seen oil temps in my C6 as high as 315 at an HPDE event, I chose to install a Z06 oil cooler and then a DeWitts radiator and oil temps drastically dropped. Now when I drive on the streets during our cooler months I sometimes velcro a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 12-29-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: mispelled a word
Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

They way mine is plumbed, I just unhook the in and out lines from the cooler and connect with a coupler. I remove cooler for the winter and then reinstall for track season (2 bolts). Simple enough.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies guys. I thint I'll either use the take off with the built in T-Stat or just connect the two like last mentioned.

One last question is, when you guys change your oil, how to you get a complete change? Do you have to unhook the cooler and drain the lines or does it drain back into the pan. Also how would I assume the oil capacity for first start up.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I ran a Ron Davis Racing radiator in both my 97 and 03Z. It kept the oil super cool because the oil cooler was located in the passenger side tank and the radiator was so efficient that in 40 degree weather with a stock thermostat the passenger side tank felt cold after running 15 miles or so thus the oil was cold as well. On extremely hot days where I was running 40 minute sessions the oil temp would run about 230 and coolant temp would run about 200. As I said the radiator was extremely good at cooling. To get oil temps up I installed a B&M Thermostatic bypass valve in the lines going to the cooler. It was set at 180 degrees. If oil temp was less than 180 85% of the oil bypassed the cooler while 15% ran through it. When temp was over 180 85% of the oil went through the cooler and 15% bypassed the cooler. This prevented air bubbles from forming in the oil stream. I got the valve from Summit Racing.

Other people I knew just used a cheap piece of cardboard to block off most of the radiator when the weather got cold.

Bill
Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an "improved racing" oil thermostat, it seems to work really well. Oil temps get up to normal in a reasonably normal amount of time in street driving.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a stand alone DRM oil cooler and when I'm not tracking I simply tape it up with painters tape. Stays on and I just remove it at the next track day.

Gets my oil temps back into the 180's for the most part and 200's if I'm just idling at lights.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Thanks everyone, all great thoughts. I'll prob either tape it up or use the take off that has the thermostat in it set at 200 degrees.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The Improved Racing thermostat works well and is a much nicer piece than the Mocal.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion.html
Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
The Improved Racing thermostat works well and is a much nicer piece than the Mocal.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion.html
When I put together my cooler improved racing only had the 1/4 pipe thread option for the oil temp sensor... they discontinued the stock threads. So I went with LPE.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Z28M6
My question is, is there any reasonable way to do an oil cooler with a shut off valve in line?
Didn't see this discussed in the thread, but wanted to caution you that the oil ports are run in series, so you can't run a shutoff valve. That would starve the engine for oil.

What I did was mount an external oil cooler in front of the AC condenser and fabbed up an aluminum cover I snapped over the front of the cooler when I wasn't on the track, winter or summer. Still cooled quite a bit just by conduction through the cover, but stayed a lot warmer than when left open.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 01-03-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 PM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Thanks everyone, my initial thought or theory of a valve was to have an H pipe style crossover right before it. So if the valve was closed, the oil would just loop back to the motor. I'm pretty convinced the thermostat is the way to go though.

Last edited by 95Z28M6; 01-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I ran a t'stat in my first install, and it worked just fine. One point: they do restrict the flow of oil, so there is a small drop in oil pressure, and you don't get quite as much flow through the cooler as you would running straight hoses.

Also, there are now four more fittings you have to make room for, with four more points of failure. I never had a problem, and as I said, it worked fine for me.

You can't really go wrong with an EOC, and the t'stat makes it a piece of cake for a street/DE car; no covers to install/remove.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I ran a t'stat in my first install, and it worked just fine. One point: they do restrict the flow of oil, so there is a small drop in oil pressure, and you don't get quite as much flow through the cooler as you would running straight hoses.

Also, there are now four more fittings you have to make room for, with four more points of failure. I never had a problem, and as I said, it worked fine for me.

You can't really go wrong with an EOC, and the t'stat makes it a piece of cake for a street/DE car; no covers to install/remove.

Have a good one,
Mike
Good point on the plumbing. I had an external oil filter mounted with my DRM Ron Davis Racing Radiator and the addition of the B & M thermostatic bypass valve turned a simple plumbing job into a rats nest in front of the front stabilizer bar.

As mentioned the flow through the cooler is a little less since there is always some oil flowing through all parts of the bypass to prevent air bubbles from forming. That reduced flow through the cooler will increase the oil temperature. On mine the oil temp went up from ~ 230 to ~ 260.

Bill
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

You can remove the center deflector as a quick and dirty way to decrease air flow - 2 #35 torx bolts. Did that last nite as I haven't had time to remove cooler for winter. But I wanted to drive Z today even though it is 21*. Oil temps made it to 160* and coolant stayed at normal 178*(DeWitts). Definitely not warm enough for oil but close enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Reasonable way to do an on/off oil cooler?

Quick Reply: Reasonable way to do an on/off oil cooler?