Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Car Numbers

I drive a 1993 Corvette coupe, both on and off track. Preparing for second season on track, and hoping to move up to something better than painters tape for my (temporary) car numbers.

I have passed a magnet over the doors and pick up a varying strength of grip, which I guess comes from the window hardware. Will magnetic numbers work?

what are the better options?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:37 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Vinyl numbers work best on fiberglass cars. I suspect a sign shop could cut you some. My mother cuts mine, I'm just going to leave them on and replace as needed.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 PM
jraspinner12
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You can make your own with contact paper...easy to make and remove when your done. Only issue is you would need to make new ones each time...
Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some places have reusable vinyl numbers, they use a lower tack adhesive and seem to work really well for me. AFAIK none of them are supporting vendors though so I guess I'm not allowed to say who sells them

Google "reusable vinyl track day numbers" and you will find them.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by jraspinner12
You can make your own with contact paper...easy to make and remove when your done. Only issue is you would need to make new ones each time...
Learned this move from my neighbors at the glen. Works well and keeps costs low which is the name of the game for this kid!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I got my reusable numbers fro Izoomgraphics.com. I have been using the same numbers for about 5 years.

Charley

Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

If anyone is interested in cut vinyl numbers, shoot me a PM. Turns out, I've got the ability to get these cut for a decent bit cheaper than those other guys.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy a fresh set of vinyl numbers every year. You can leave them on all season and then remove in the fall. If you do a bunch of track days, they get nicked up a bit with rubber and stone. They are not expensive (~$30 a set).
Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had a local sign/graphics shop make some 8" high static-cling numbers about 8 years ago for my '87. They are pretty basic (black numbers on a clear film). I use them primarily for autocross but they also work very well for track days when I get to use my numbers. Haven't comes off at over 130!!

On my '87, the 8" high numbers fit above the body side molding and below the top of the door. I paid $40 for a pair of numbers along with a pair of 5" high autocross class letters. They came with a carrier sheet that has a plastic film so the decals can be placed on that and stored when not being used. They are still in excellent condition.

The trick with static-cling numbers is to make sure the surface is clean, and that you spray a film of water on the area before applying the decals. Then lay the decal down and use a piece of cardboard or even a credit card edge to squeegee out the water and any bubbles.

Solotime offers static cling decals in a variety of sizes and they also have removeable adhesive styles.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:07 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unless you use a lot of "1"'s which we flip on and off for 2 drivers
Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Avery Sticker Project Paper #3383 8 1/2 X 11 and a little time with Word Art and your set. It goes on easily, stays on at 160+ mph, and removes without leaving any residue.

Last edited by Last C5; 12-31-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife found the font she liked.
Printed numbers on paper and laminated them.
Cut out each number with scissors to make re-usable templates.
Trace onto low tack contact paper, then cut, peel, and stick.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Wife has templates and uses regular contact paper with no problems
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I get my reusable vinyl numbers from Solo Performance.

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I keep losing my vinyl cling numbers at high speed. Probably due to the cold temps of late. In any event, I'm contemplating some low-tack reusable vinyl numbers, but I'm a little afraid of damage to the finish on my C7. Any experience/ advice concerning this type? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
I keep losing my vinyl cling numbers at high speed. Probably due to the cold temps of late. In any event, I'm contemplating some low-tack reusable vinyl numbers, but I'm a little afraid of damage to the finish on my C7. Any experience/ advice concerning this type? Thanks.
Never had a problem with my conventional contact paper.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:38 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean and wax the paint before applying them and don't leave them on for months at a time. Leaving them on for a weekend is fine though, they come right off with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Numbers

Old 01-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Main thing is to keep the sticky side of the numbers clean, put them on a clean surface and make sure there are no edges sticking up to catch the air. It is easy to get the back side of the number dirty when you are taking them off so make sure you keep your fingers clean while doing it. Once off make sure you transfer the number back to the material it comes on. Choose the correct side. One side works with the number and easily releases it and the other side basically ruins the number. I can usually get several years use out of them. One thing that I do is if an edge starts to rise because I got it dirty removing it I use a small piece of masking tape to hold it down so it doesn't catch air. I have several sets of numbers so I can flip them around and choose between several numbers like 4, 41, 14, 441, 144, 414. The numbers are 10 inches high so they can be easily seen.

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
That's what i use also. You definitely get your money's worth out of them.

Quick Reply: Car Numbers