Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilted radiator tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Tilted radiator tips

Hey all -

I've bugged a few folks already on this, but wanted to ask the community at large to add to my knowledge set before I start cutting parts . I found only bits-and-pieces searching here in the AutoX and C5 forums, so I thought I'd post this thread.

I'm making plans to do the whole front-feeder/tilted radiator/louvered hood/front splitter thing. Car is a 97 C5.

Since relocating the radiator in this manner on C5's seems to be relatively common, before I reinvented the wheel, I thought I'd see if there is an "easy button" approach first, e.g. "call this guy he makes brackets", or if everybody sort of takes their own approach.

If the former, can you tell me who?

If the latter, would any of you be willing to post or email pictures, particularly of the bottom radiator mount, so I can gather a few ideas?

Thanks for any pointers, suggestions, or images.

Cheers!

-Jake
Old 01-02-2015, 03:30 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

No one? damn, i was looking for info too
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM
JakeL
Drifting

In looking at it, my plan so far is to remove the factory support, cut off the two lower mounts, and use those as a basis for fabbing up a simple new radiator mount. Will make a jiggle strip or similar to attach the upper to the front frame crossmember with a bit of weatherstripping for padding.

Doesn't look too hard, but I was hoping for the "send $100 to this guy and he sends you the parts"

-Jake
The following users liked this post:
TRAKOUT (01-29-2020)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One would think that a pre-fabbed aftermarket solution would exist, but I think it's all custom at this point unfortunately.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

There simply isn't enough room to make it easy. Can't move bottom rearward much,and stock radiator is too tall to lean forward. You have to lay it almost flat, which does give much better airflow than oem. I personally think a good center good and some good shrouding can work with oem radiator location

I'll play with this soon on a project car, but not convinced it's worthehile
Old 01-04-2015, 02:34 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I can take pics tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:08 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I did this project 3 years ago, I still have a lot more pictures if you need anything specific let me know.
Maybe this will help you some

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-project.html
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Beretta -

Many thanks, I'll drop you an email. Your thread already answered several questions I had...

Cheers,

-Jake
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeL
Beretta -

Many thanks, I'll drop you an email. Your thread already answered several questions I had...

Cheers,

-Jake
Your welcome, here are a few more pictures.

I put riv nuts into the frame rails to attach the radiator, on the radiator the Ron Davis has factory type slots that hold the fan assembly I used these for mounting points.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always wondered how much the air intake temperature was rising with this setup.
It looks like there is so much warm air blasting on the intake duct, I was wondering if that could outweigh some of the engine cooling benefits.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ideally you do not want the aluminum radiator to touch steel as you are encouraging galvanic corrosion.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be doing one of these for my car. And we will take extensive pics of the fab work. Eventually if plausible, JB Corvettes may produce a kit.

How does radiator size effect this new orientation? I'm having a custom 4" core unit built.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
I have always wondered how much the air intake temperature was rising with this setup.
It looks like there is so much warm air blasting on the intake duct, I was wondering if that could outweigh some of the engine cooling benefits.
I did it more for room under the engine bay than any change in cooling. The stock rad location is @$#%$ for doing anything on the front of the motor, especially when the car is hot at the track.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I'll be doing one of these for my car. And we will take extensive pics of the fab work. Eventually if plausible, JB Corvettes may produce a kit.

How does radiator size effect this new orientation? I'm having a custom 4" core unit built.
That should be fine, but you'll want to keep the height relatively short. Mine is a used NASCAR one so I was stuck with an inconvenient overall size and had to cut the crash bar for mounting. Ideally, I think it the outside of the radiator should be about 16" tall and 29" wide in order to fit comfortably between the frame rails.

Keep in mind, it doesn't need angle to function right, mine is basically flat with the splitter ducted to the bottom side and works great. The main thing is that you want to have at least a slight angle so that air isn't trapped in the radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Tilted radiator tips

Quick Reply: Tilted radiator tips