Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How/Where to anchor harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm 6'1" also and the fit is quite close. With the stock seat I had to lay the seat back some so that I wasn't hitting my head on the headliner. The Sparco seat doesn't adjust as you know. I have the seat almost on the floor on the driver side. With it that low, I fit in with my helmet on, however I can feel it graze slightly on the headliner. Can't remember if the cushion was in or out on the seat for that.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

read through this.

I was hoping to run the BK harness bar, veteworks lap mount and stock seats. Are you saying that can't be done and keep the stock seat belt?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
read through this.

I was hoping to run the BK harness bar, veteworks lap mount and stock seats. Are you saying that can't be done and keep the stock seat belt?
Probably not the optimal set up - and probably not the safest; but to answer your question - yes B-K sell brakets and hardware to retain the OEM belts, seats, and sliders with 5 or 6 point harness.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

read through this.

I was not able to. This is based on the width of my fat ***. I have a Sparco Evo II US seat. I think that if you have the narrower seat, you can retain the stock belts.

I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds and wear 38" waist pants.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

bringing this back up

So I have the BK harness bar and the R9120 lap belt kit

http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/169.htm

what do I need now to connect the last sub belts? Should I just have bought the vetteworks bar?

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=58

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Probably not the optimal set up - and probably not the safest; but to answer your question - yes B-K sell brakets and hardware to retain the OEM belts, seats, and sliders with 5 or 6 point harness.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:30 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

bringing this back up

So I have the BK harness bar and the R9120 lap belt kit

http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/169.htm

what do I need now to connect the last sub belts? Should I just have bought the vetteworks bar?

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=58
the ones you have are sufficient if not too long the sub belts connect to the lower holes (six point harness) the lap belts to the upper holes.
Not sure which i have but if you are small you may need the short set to get the lap belts tight enough
Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

yea thinking I should have went with the short version...I'm 5'9

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
the ones you have are sufficient if not too long the sub belts connect to the lower holes (six point harness) the lap belts to the upper holes.
Not sure which i have but if you are small you may need the short set to get the lap belts tight enough
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

ok, sorry for the newb questions but this is my first go ahead with harnesses.

I realize that my set up isn't the most ideal but I am trying to understand it. With the use of those BK anchors am I suppose to sit on my anti sub belts or wrap them around my legs?

I also see mention of a BK bar anchor that looks like it goes down and bolts to the seat bolt. Mine didn't come with anything like that???

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

ok, sorry for the newb questions but this is my first go ahead with harnesses.

I realize that my set up isn't the most ideal but I am trying to understand it. With the use of those BK anchors am I suppose to sit on my anti sub belts or wrap them around my legs?

I also see mention of a BK bar anchor that looks like it goes down and bolts to the seat bolt. Mine didn't come with anything like that???
yes, you actually sit on the sub belts in this setup
one on each side up between your legs and into the cam lock or latches
with the lap belts and sholder straps
Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 PM
jjv104
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble but your setup is unsafe. Here is the link to the Schroth Competition manual:

https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/...structions.pdf

Start with page 16 for the proper routing and anchor points. Notice that the routing will probably require using a true race seat, not the stock seat.

BTW the Vettworks sub belt bracket does not meet Scroth's recommendations. The sub belt attachment points are too far back. Also, the Shark Bar and BK harness bar are mounted far too low for most people. I had a custom harness bar made for my 2015 Z06. Still working on the sub belt mount.

This is what can happen if you install the sub belt incorrectly:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...72346106002236

If you don't install the harnesses correctly, don't install them at all. Definitely don't sit on top of the sub belts.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

OUCH
Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I was not able to. This is based on the width of my fat ***. I have a Sparco Evo II US seat. I think that if you have the narrower seat, you can retain the stock belts.

I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds and wear 38" waist pants.
I have the EVO regular in there and that barely fits. My setup uses the planted bracket with side mounts and the seat is at the perfect height, also have the VETTEWorks lap belt mount,
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 AM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
OUCH
That link ain't for looking at. My nads are still hiding after viewing that.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM
jjv104
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Holmes
That link ain't for looking at. My nads are still hiding after viewing that.

Better to see it on a computer screen than in a mirror.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 AM
jjv104
Instructor

This is how we installed my harness bar. Tubing is 1-1/4" extra heavy wall DOM. It's all TIG welded. We used 1-1/4" tubing so we could make a smaller radius bend so the harnesses are on the straight section of the bar. This bar is much higher and farther back than the Shark Bar or BK bar. It's what I need because I'm 6'-5".

The front supports are bolted to the bulkhead and the rears are bolted to the frame. Be very careful if you try to duplicate this arrangement because the gas tanks extend up into the top of the bulkhead.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You are not using those seats on the track are you? You realize that the shoulder harness belt must run straight (or slightly downward, 20deg max) to the harness bar, correct?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:11 PM
jjv104
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
You are not using those seats on the track are you? You realize that the shoulder harness belt must run straight (or slightly downward, 20deg max) to the harness bar, correct?

Absolutely not using the stock seats on the track. This is what I've been preaching about. The routing of the straps and anchor points are critical. This bar is designed for me. See my previous post.

I have Racetech 4900WTHR (wide and tall) from my race car that I will install for track events. The pass throughs and my shoulders are about 28" from the floor which is about the height of the bar. The shoulder straps will be pulling down less than 20 deg. This is with my HANS.

Quick Reply: How/Where to anchor harnesses