Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cockpit Cooling and insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:56 AM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Cockpit Cooling and insulation?

Hey all -

Did a search but I didn't dig up much.

I was curious to learn a bit more about what approaches folks are taking to staying cool during races?

I've seen that some are using coolshirts and helmet blowers, and was curious as to which variants in particular are useful.

Also, am more interested in what folks are doing to keep the heat out in the first place - tunnel and/or firewall heat shielding or insulation, insulation down by the torque tube and so on?

Thanks for any info...

-Jake
Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any insulation in my car and the tunnel gets really hot, you can even feel it through the firesuit. The car doesn't have side windows anymore and I completely removed the HVAC as it was useless as soon as the car was rolling (though it could keep some nice air flowing when sitting on the start line). I just have insulation around the wiring and let the airflow in the car cool the rest.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I added some used NASCAR insulation on the tunnel inside the car, but I plan to add reflective insulation under the car to try and keep out some exhaust heat. Header wrap will help but can also increase exhaust cracking if you use it too close to the motor.

We're in the car for 1.5-2 hours or more so we run a cool shirt system to help reduce driver fatigue, it makes a world of difference honestly. I build my own cooler to save money, this is one of the better DIY write-ups I've seen.
http://www.rennsportkc.com/build-you...-shirt-cooler/
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Cool shirt... ordinarily only during a race, but sometimes during quali if it's really hot out
Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to header wrap under the tunnel, I used the cool mat product inside the car. I put it on the tunnel around the gear shift, between the race seats, and on the floor board. It is much cooler in the cockpit now. There is a distributor in Mooresville, NC. She sells it in whatever dimensions you need. The backside is adhesive and the upper side is an aluminum type surface a thin foam insulation.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:43 AM
JakeL
Drifting

thanks for the replies so far fellas.

-J
Old 01-08-2015, 03:44 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my e36 I attached a short piece of 1-3/4" tube to the drivers side mirror, pointed at the driver. It is amazingly effective - it permits me to not use the coolshirt when it's 80F and sunny - conditions under which I would previously have caught fire and died.

So then I plumbed a piece of 3" tube out the passenger window, directed at my chest. That is not as effective as the air doesn't come out fast enough. You need a strong blast of air to punch through the suit fabric and start evaporating perspiration.

So. Grab yourself some hosing, fix one end right out in the air stream and the other pointed at the driver. You'll be surprised.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

This is the best tunnel shield I've found - it's got an aluminum shell and it's adhesive backed - and the adhesive sticks. You have to cut it to length then form it before you peel the adhesive off. I've had several other racers come up and ask me what it was and where I got it. Awesome stuff.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...-sound-insulat
Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
JakeL
Drifting

I use that same stuff on the firewall of the F1000 to keep header heat out of the fuel cell area and the seatback.

You're putting this down in the tunnel (exterior of the car, not in cockpit) down by the exhaust, on the tunnel closeoff plate and nearby, yes?

-Jake
Old 01-08-2015, 06:30 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeL
I use that same stuff on the firewall of the F1000 to keep header heat out of the fuel cell area and the seatback.

You're putting this down in the tunnel (exterior of the car, not in cockpit) down by the exhaust, on the tunnel closeoff plate and nearby, yes?

-Jake
We put it on the inside of the car all along the tunnel - both sides.
It's very durable - but the edges are very sharp so make sure you get the good DEI heat tape and tape down all of the edges. I have plenty of cuts from installing the stuff.
I also like to put some down under where you are going to mount the cool-suit cooler to help keep temps down around the cooler. (again inside the cockpit
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
jacks2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted both inside and the engine side firewall and floor bottom with Lizard Skin. It made a big difference although I didn't measure it. I also have my cool shirt cooler mounted a couple inches off the floor and the tubes insulated. Also make sure all holes in the firewall and floor are sealed.

Get notified of new replies

To Cockpit Cooling and insulation?

Quick Reply: Cockpit Cooling and insulation?