Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil pump to run on forged LS3 shortblock with batwing pan/C5??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 PM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What oil pump to run on forged LS3 shortblock with batwing pan/C5??

Just curious as what wet sump pump guys are running with forged bottom end on a C5 with the batwing pan? It is a street car (cam & supercharged) but in the future I want to do a few hpde track days (thinking ahead )

I am running K1 crank, billet H beam rods, Wiseco pistons. Clevite H bearings with .0022-.0023 on the mains and .0019-.0021 on the rods. It is a new aluminum LS3 block with the dod towers plugged etc. LS7 stock lifters (I plan on adding holes to lifter buckets to help with drainback).

I have heard/read batwing pans are the best stock pan for oil control? I have also read the GM high volume pump will suck the pan dry if you do not have DOD (which I do not). Then I was told the GM or Melling high volume would recommended for a forged (w/slightly looser bearing clearance than OEM GM) on a non-dod LS3, but not if I am using the batwing pan..

So confused with this conflicting information...

Could anybody with a C5 and batwing pan and forged/slightly looser clearances tell me what they are actually running for a oil pump/pan and having good luck with? I do not think it matters if the block is LS1 LS2 or LS3?

Dry sump is not an option. I may run an accumulator in the future - but would rather have a pump that works well without it..

Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:41 PM
JRMaroon1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed as I am having an LS3 built for my C5 and plan to use the Batwing pan.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pump

Originally Posted by zrtman1
Just curious as what wet sump pump guys are running with forged bottom end on a C5 with the batwing pan? It is a street car (cam & supercharged) but in the future I want to do a few hpde track days (thinking ahead )

I am running K1 crank, billet H beam rods, Wiseco pistons. Clevite H bearings with .0022-.0023 on the mains and .0019-.0021 on the rods. It is a new aluminum LS3 block with the dod towers plugged etc. LS7 stock lifters (I plan on adding holes to lifter buckets to help with drainback).

I have heard/read batwing pans are the best stock pan for oil control? I have also read the GM high volume pump will suck the pan dry if you do not have DOD (which I do not). Then I was told the GM or Melling high volume would recommended for a forged (w/slightly looser bearing clearance than OEM GM) on a non-dod LS3, but not if I am using the batwing pan..

So confused with this conflicting information...

Could anybody with a C5 and batwing pan and forged/slightly looser clearances tell me what they are actually running for a oil pump/pan and having good luck with? I do not think it matters if the block is LS1 LS2 or LS3?

Dry sump is not an option. I may run an accumulator in the future - but would rather have a pump that works well without it..

Thanks!!

When I ran an LS3 without a dry sump I ran a stock LSA pump without any issues. I also ran an Accusump. I would not run an LS3 without one, even with a batwing pan.

It is not true that the LS3 is the same as an LS6 block. Ask anyone who has run SCCA T1 class.

I also run a stock LSA pump with my present dry sump setup. 2stage Avaid pump to stock LSA pump.

Also, I never ran clearances that loose. Those are almost SBC clearances with an iron block.

If you never turn left on sweepers you may be ok.

Talk to your engine builder. That is an expensive engine to grenade.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what the masses are doing but I used a new LS2 oil pump with my LS3 build and the bat wing pan.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Based on the advise of several of the engine builders who are sponsors on this forum. I built my LS2 408 with the LS2 pan, restricted flow push rods, Melling high volume pump, and drilled lifter pockets. This is a dedicated track car and it does run an Accusump as insurance.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 PM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
When I ran an LS3 without a dry sump I ran a stock LSA pump without any issues. I also ran an Accusump. I would not run an LS3 without one, even with a batwing pan.

It is not true that the LS3 is the same as an LS6 block. Ask anyone who has run SCCA T1 class.

I also run a stock LSA pump with my present dry sump setup. 2stage Avaid pump to stock LSA pump.

Also, I never ran clearances that loose. Those are almost SBC clearances with an iron block.

If you never turn left on sweepers you may be ok.

Talk to your engine builder. That is an expensive engine to grenade.
Thanks for the info. LSA pump is the highest volume of all the pumps - correct? Was it a stock C5 batwing pan or aftermarket?

As for clearances.. what are/were you running? I am still thinking about mixing a half set of -.001 to tighten them up by .0005". Which will put me at .0017-.0018" on the mains.
I talked to one of the sites sponsors (bought some of my parts off them) that builds short & long forged blocks and they run .0024-.0025 on the mains.. and yes that is what we used to run SBC at.. this is my first LS.

Get notified of new replies

To What oil pump to run on forged LS3 shortblock with batwing pan/C5??

Quick Reply: What oil pump to run on forged LS3 shortblock with batwing pan/C5??