Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-engined C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briannutter1
I hope no one at GM ever thinks this gives them license to put a V6 in our cars or the Zora.
What makes you think this would be called the Zora?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Also reference the Ford EcoBoost DP cars that ran TUDOR last year. I'm sure most of what was learned there will be used in these new cars.
222.971mph

Old 01-15-2015, 11:34 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Bob Lutz on the C8

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-corvette/
Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by briannutter1
I hope no one at GM ever thinks this gives them license to put a V6 in our cars or the Zora.
Ford didn't want a V6TT in the GT. They were forced to by Obamas EPA
Old 01-18-2015, 12:20 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by parkerracing
The love child of a Lambo humping a GT40.
Lambo Miura designer Gandini ripped off GT40 profile in late 60s so it's ok if Ford rips off Aventador a little. If you're going to rip something off better to rip off an Aventador than a Ferrari California
Old 01-18-2015, 04:16 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Ford didn't want a V6TT in the GT. They were forced to by Obamas EPA
I'm sorry but that's rubbish! Ford were probably considering global emission laws and how they could build a car that not only meets these laws but also boosts the global brand. The ECOboost name is getting pretty big across the world with a lot of people listening when people mention the name. This is another example of it. Ford want people to think of fantastic performance with great emissions when ever people hear the name. So they are using the engines and name across the whole range of cars and trucks and using this as the pinnacle example of the brand. Look at the Mustang getting the 4 cylinder version and a lot of smaller cars getting the 1.0ltr 3 pot version.

People need to remember that when big manufacturers produce these kind of cars there is often more to it than just making the car.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the engineers at Ford could have quiet happily got a V8 though the emissions laws.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I'm sorry but that's rubbish! Ford were probably considering global emission laws and how they could build a car that not only meets these laws but also boosts the global brand. The ECOboost name is getting pretty big across the world with a lot of people listening when people mention the name. This is another example of it. Ford want people to think of fantastic performance with great emissions when ever people hear the name. So they are using the engines and name across the whole range of cars and trucks and using this as the pinnacle example of the brand. Look at the Mustang getting the 4 cylinder version and a lot of smaller cars getting the 1.0ltr 3 pot version.

People need to remember that when big manufacturers produce these kind of cars there is often more to it than just making the car.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the engineers at Ford could have quiet happily got a V8 though the emissions laws.
IMO clients really want a V8, they've always been V8s. Now even the next Raptor is V6TT also.

Why would Ford take a risk on their top car unless they were forced to?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
IMO clients really want a V8, they've always been V8s. Now even the next Raptor is V6TT also.

Why would Ford take a risk on their top car unless they were forced to?
You're forgetting that this car isn't aimed at people who will cross shop or anything. This is a car aimed at people who will add it to their "collection". They will sell them all regardless of what engine they put in them.

Yes it would be a more compelling car with a v8. But that doesn't matter. This is great marketing for the ecoboost.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You're forgetting that this car isn't aimed at people who will cross shop or anything. This is a car aimed at people who will add it to their "collection". They will sell them all regardless of what engine they put in them.

Yes it would be a more compelling car with a v8. But that doesn't matter. This is great marketing for the ecoboost.
Also, if it was built with endurance racing in mind the turbo V6 makes the most sense. The Coyote V8 isn't small, nor is it particularly light.

Lastly, after hearing this: http://jalopnik.com/listen-to-the-fo...-bu-1680248013 I think it'll be just fine...

edit: one other thing. If Ford is taking the 3.5TT out of the Ganassi DP and dropping it into the GT and is going to use it for GTLM, that makes for great advertising: "The exact same motor in the race car is in the street car". Corvette's retort would be something like "They won't let us bring the street motor because its too big and makes too much power." Like they did late in the C6's production cycle.

Last edited by hklvette; 01-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

This thread needs this video

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...r-than-coffee/

Last edited by BrianCunningham; 01-26-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: fix video
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I doubt the ford GT is going to get much better economy than a DOD C7 with it's big V8. That's not the issue. You really think they used an engine they didn't want in their flagship supercar because of a gas guzzler tax and a a few bucks in CAFE standards?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a lot of people have called it out in the thread. V8 has a negative connotation to the general media (left right or otherwise because writers drive 4 cylinders). Writers can be nasty and the best car manufacturers offset with superior emissions and mpg numbers.

Last edited by briannutter1; 01-28-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:46 AM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm developing a C5 clone chassis, commercially available on Jan 2017, so I must think that a rear-mid-engine car is not necessary.

But I found the rear-mid-engine car:

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/gtm-supercar/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...r-img_3203.jpg

Last edited by B Stead; 02-01-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
I'm developing a C5 clone chassis, commercially available on Jan 2017, so I must think that a rear-mid-engine car is not necessary.

But I found the rear-mid-engine car:

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/gtm-supercar/
The Superlight SLC a is a much better chassis...and the design is much better in my opinion.

http://www.superlitecars.com/index.p.../superlite-slc

And a LOT less work to put together from everything I've read on both forums. The Factory Five has a lot more manufacturing needing to be done on the assemblers part. Not so with the SLC

My second choice would be a Mongoose Corvette GTP http://www.mongoosems.com/GTPSpecifications.php

I've been there and seen these up close...very stiff and beefy chassis, plus it has some history to it as well. They look very cool, and are wicked fast...my drive was short but oh so sweet.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 01-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Seen the Factory Five mid-engined coupe.
Way cool
Here's the pics I took at an open house
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/swi...?sort=3&page=1

Anyone racing those?
Are they even eligible?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Seen the Factory Five mid-engined coupe.
Way cool
Here's the pics I took at an open house
http://s242.photobucket.com/user/swi...?sort=3&page=1

Anyone racing those?
Are they even eligible?
There's one guy on their forum who has one built for racing...he does the 12 hours of Thunder Hill and other events in Cali with it...and had to extensively modify it.

I've been looking at them for years...they look cool for sure. That was what had me started down that path...until I went to Mongoose. When you get the car from them...it is ready to bolt suspension to and is a rolling chassis right now. Body is already bonded...it is ready to start the mechanical build. And if you ship them the wheels, tires and suspension components they will install them and it's a rolling chassis off the truck.

The GTM is not...and is about the same outlay of dollars. I've seen guys talking about thousands of hours to finish it...quite a few hundred was just getting the bodywork to fit right. Panel gaps were all over the map...

I watched them build an SLC on one of the car shows...it was basically bolt it together and go. And they didn't even need to paint it...the gelcoat was flawless. They clear-coated it and that was it. Panels were a perfect fit.

With the kits...there's a lot more to it than the initial outlay of money. If you save $5k and it costs you $10k in bodywork, did you really save anything? This is the biggest reason why so many of the GTM's can be bought unfinished...there is great frustration and then general disinterest and then kicking it out of the garage for a car that actually works.

Quick Reply: Mid-engined C8