Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best rear tow hook? new to HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:51 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default best rear tow hook? new to HPDE

New to roadcourse racing.. Looking to do a HPDE at streets of willow this year with speed ventures.

I see VMS makes a rear tow hook that is cheap and I saw another thread where someone installed it.. The VMS one uses the existing bolts and holes for the exhaust hangers.

Do you think the VMS toe hook would be fine for my uses?
I have seen tow hooks by Benen that look much thicker however you need to drill into the frame. Do I need to take the bumper off to install either of these?

What one should I use??

Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I put the vms hook on the back of my car and it is very easy to install. Haven't had to use it yet so I can't comment on its durability. I believe that it touches the rear valence so I get an occasional vibration from the exhaust pipes which are stock. There isn't much thread available to shim it with washers to prevent this.

I'm in the process of installing a front hook. Not as easy as it sounds. All air box parts come out. Front valence is in the way to drill the holes. I'll be trying a 90 degree drill setup this weekend to see if that works or not.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I put the vms hook on the back of my car and it is very easy to install. Haven't had to use it yet so I can't comment on its durability. I believe that it touches the rear valence so I get an occasional vibration from the exhaust pipes which are stock. There isn't much thread available to shim it with washers to prevent this.

I'm in the process of installing a front hook. Not as easy as it sounds. All air box parts come out. Front valence is in the way to drill the holes. I'll be trying a 90 degree drill setup this weekend to see if that works or not.
So the rear bumper doesnt have to come off to install either tow hook? or just the VMS one?

Have you tried taping a small piece of foam onto the rear tow hook to dampen the vibration?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713

Have you tried taping a small piece of foam onto the rear tow hook to dampen the vibration?
That's what I did.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Pfadt rear tow hook uses 2 existing muffler hanger bolts to secure it to the framework. If you have some fab skills. Drop the mufflers and crawl up under there and you'll see you have room to attach just about anything.
Dropping mufflers is not required to install a Pfadt hook.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New to roadcourse racing.. Looking to do a HPDE at streets of willow this year with speed ventures.

I see VMS makes a rear tow hook that is cheap and I saw another thread where someone installed it.. The VMS one uses the existing bolts and holes for the exhaust hangers.

Do you think the VMS toe hook would be fine for my uses?
I have seen tow hooks by Benen that look much thicker however you need to drill into the frame. Do I need to take the bumper off to install either of these?

What one should I use??

Thanks
What car? I have Phoenix rear tow hook for sale. Only takes a few minutes to install. I'll be at sow that weekend and can deliver there. The tow hook came off of a base C6.

Kevin

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 01-13-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

So the rear bumper doesnt have to come off to install either tow hook? or just the VMS one?

No, bumper does not need to be removed, it really is very easy to do

Good idea on the foam
Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

I ended up buying the VMS tow hook last night online. I like that it uses the stock exhaust bolts and holes and I don't need to remove the bumper. I looked at the car last night and it seemed like the back bumper would have to be removed yo access the inner part of the back frame to put the bolt down thru drilled holes. Only way around that is if u have a super long drill bit and bolt AMD drill straight up thru both walls

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Phoenix...have to remove the rear bumper to install but it's fabricated very well
Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by REVHARD
Phoenix...have to remove the rear bumper to install but it's fabricated very well
Not true on a base C6. It installed in minutes. Not sure about other cars.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Pics?
Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Not true on a base C6. It installed in minutes. Not sure about other cars.
Use Phoenix. Joe Aquilante and his staff can handle this and all of your other track day needs-- he's a true gentleman on track and off and fountain of knowledge. http://www.phoenixperformance.net/ (610) 482-0141
Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I have Phoenix front and rear hooks. Both very high quality. Don't have to remove the rear bumper to install, but if you have C6 with NPP there isn't a lot of space to work. I know you're not asking, but the front hook install requires front bumper removal. It is not terribly difficult, but something to think about if you decide to install both.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

my car is a c5z..

FWIW here is my new thread with the install pics.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588749786

Get notified of new replies

To best rear tow hook? new to HPDE

Quick Reply: best rear tow hook? new to HPDE