Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 for B Street

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

There's no way a C4 will run with a C5. The front negative camber that you can get with a C4 is less than half a degree. A C5 is going to have about 2 degrees and that's the end of that story. Yes an early C4 has more front end grip on tighter courses than a later C4, but on faster courses it isn't as big an issue. To get close to a C5 you're going to need a lot more negative camber in the front end and that's simply not possible.

Bottom line is that the greater negative camber in the front makes a C4 an also ran compared to a C5.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
B4CHawk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my search will be between a RX-8 and a C5...
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
There's no way a C4 will run with a C5. The front negative camber that you can get with a C4 is less than half a degree. A C5 is going to have about 2 degrees and that's the end of that story. Yes an early C4 has more front end grip on tighter courses than a later C4, but on faster courses it isn't as big an issue. To get close to a C5 you're going to need a lot more negative camber in the front end and that's simply not possible.

Bottom line is that the greater negative camber in the front makes a C4 an also ran compared to a C5.
Sounds like C4 should be allowed in STU then, no?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 PM
B4CHawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Sounds like C4 should be allowed in STU then, no?
That's not a bad idea; but then again, the only one worth building would be a LT4 C4
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

the stock front suspension doesn't allow for much neg camber and the stock c4 spring does not allow for any ride height adjustment. However, if you could run in STU you could install offset lower a arm bushings and get more neg camber. Get an Fe1 front spring which will make your ride height lower. And there can be a slight advantage on some tight courses with the C4 vs C5 due to the shorter wb and narrower body of the c4.

And one other disadvantage a c4 has is the fuel starvation issue when running a lower amount of fuel in corners. You typically have to run @ 1/2 tank or more of fuel in a C4 to prevent starvation. However if you decide on a C4 there is a way to prevent this.

Last edited by l98tpi; 01-13-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by B4CHawk
That's not a bad idea; but then again, the only one worth building would be a LT4 C4
A 90 or 91 is not a bad pick with a 6spd due to the torque curve and promotion of the TPI on an autox course. Get the stock TPI on a road course and the LT4 will be a better choice.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

They should just move the C4 down into C street. It's sort of ridiculous to expect it to run with a C5.

I'd look into an S2000 if you're looking at RX-8s. Not as roomy of a car, but similar performance and they don't blow themselves apart constantly. That said a good friend of mine has an RX-8 and his has given him no problems. In fairness, his is sort of beat, and is a total base model. But it runs well (just slow - my C4 pulled away from it when I missed 3rd for 5th, and still pulled away easily).
Old 01-14-2015, 02:45 AM
B4CHawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE
They should just move the C4 down into C street. It's sort of ridiculous to expect it to run with a C5.

I'd look into an S2000 if you're looking at RX-8s. Not as roomy of a car, but similar performance and they don't blow themselves apart constantly. That said a good friend of mine has an RX-8 and his has given him no problems. In fairness, his is sort of beat, and is a total base model. But it runs well (just slow - my C4 pulled away from it when I missed 3rd for 5th, and still pulled away easily).
The C street guys just got the 370z moved; I expect a fight if SEB tried to move the C4 to C... it also just doesn't fit that class.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Between the car classing & the tire selection it really makes you wonder who is making the decisions behind those closed doors.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:14 PM
jmartynuska
Instructor

I wouldn't count on getting the C4 reclassed in Street. The 84-85's have already hit the Street category sundown rule - ineligible to compete nationally 30 years after the manufacturer designated model year. The '89's have 4 years remaining. Time to put them out to pasture.

ST*, I might have to write a letter.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I run with -2.6 front camber. You just have to be a little creative.

Richard Newton
Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Getting too old for street not old enough for CAM

Well as one that's NEVER SELLING MY CAR I`m going to have to think about why I belong to the SCCA
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rfn026
I run with -2.6 front camber. You just have to be a little creative.

Richard Newton
You can't do that in a stock class with a legal car and that's the point. If anybody ever showed up at Nationals with that much front negative camber in a C4 he'd be booted before the first run...

The object of the game is to win with a legal car. If you don't want to do that don't bother.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can't do that in a stock class with a legal car and that's the point. If anybody ever showed up at Nationals with that much front negative camber in a C4 he'd be booted before the first run...
Only if he wins
Old 01-17-2015, 06:06 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That's why everyone gets slower at the Nationals.

Richard
Old 01-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Only if he wins
What would actually happen is that at the Divisionals his competitors in grid would see the car and after the first run if he was even remotely fast he'd be told that his car was obviously illegal and that if he makes a second run he's going to be protested and that he should have "car problems" and not run it any more that day and not to bring it to any significant events looking like that. Someone would offer him a ride and the driver would know he's not going to run the car like that Nationals.

That's actually what happened in the Central division when a person showed up a C4 in the early 90's that had about 2.5 degrees of negative camber because the person had pulled the frame top horns so that he didn't need offset bushings or any of that crap...

Good drivers don't have to cheat, and they don't because they are placed under even more scrutiny than guys back in the pack.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Getting too old for street not old enough for CAM

Well as one that's NEVER SELLING MY CAR I`m going to have to think about why I belong to the SCCA
Don't plan on CAM in the future locally. Asking the region to make a SP/SM index for street tire'd cars has a better chance.

I was thinking I'd keep running mine if C4's moved to C street but that's unrealistic. I may just bring mine out to a few non SCCA events this year.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 for B Street

Old 01-17-2015, 12:57 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

What would actually happen is that at the Divisionals his competitors in grid would see the car and after the first run if he was even remotely fast he'd be told that his car was obviously illegal and that if he makes a second run he's going to be protested and that he should have "car problems" and not run it any more that day and not to bring it to any significant events looking like that. Someone would offer him a ride and the driver would know he's not going to run the car like that Nationals.

That's actually what happened in the Central division when a person showed up a C4 in the early 90's that had about 2.5 degrees of negative camber because the person had pulled the frame top horns so that he didn't need offset bushings or any of that crap...

Good drivers don't have to cheat, and they don't because they are placed under even more scrutiny than guys back in the pack.
It like that with any sanctioning body. Nobody cares unless you are quick.

And to add to all this. A C4 is a tough car to win with vs the newer generations and even newer cars. Most new cars today have good suspension geometry and the traction management systems and computer controlled shocks and etc. But if you can learn to drive and become a good driver, I think you can be successful with a C4. Its about being a good driver anyway right? I suppose you would ask yourself; am I a good driver with a decent car or am I a decent driver with a good car?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:37 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

SCCA in my area is basically the Miata club of the area. The courses are all tight twisty things with top speeds of under 45mph. After one event I decided t was totally unappealing to me.

I've heard PCA puts on better autocrosses than the SCCA one I went to.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
That's why everyone gets slower at the Nationals.

Richard
EVERYONE? No. My gang doesn't, because we run legal all the time.

Quick Reply: C4 for B Street