Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 for B Street

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I've thought strongly about R1R's for my FRC. But they are soft, and you will need to shave them. I'm fine with that because I know how stuff works, and that this is how the game goes. TW rating doesn't stop that. If you don't shave them, you won't like them, and they won't last.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=05VR5PR1R

NOTE:

At the end of 2014, Toyo changed the Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) of their Proxes R1R Extreme Performance Summer tire to reflect a 200 Treadwear rating.

UTQG ratings for Treadwear, Traction and Temperature are based on tests conducted by tire manufacturers and reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These regulations allow tire manufacturers to under-rate their tires’ capabilities, but prohibit over-rating them. UTQG ratings are required to be printed on their labels and branded on tire sidewalls.

Toyo assigned the 140 Treadwear rating to match the UTQG Treadwear rating required by competition rules when the Proxes R1R was introduced, however subsequent Toyo wear data revealed the tire line earned a 200 Treadwear rating.

With some competition rules now requiring higher UTQG Treadwear ratings, Toyo decided it was time to officially change the Proxes R1R line’s rating to accurately reflect its capabilities.

Since 140- and 200-Treadwear rated tires will be available*, both currently appear on NHTSA’s safercar.gov website for the Proxes R1R line.

No changes were made to tire compound or construction, so both 140- and 200-Treadwear-rated tires are compatible with each other when put into service as singles, pairs or in combination.
Name only change?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As interesting as that is... does that mean 195 width is still the only one with magic rubber?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I've thought strongly about R1R's for my FRC. But they are soft, and you will need to shave them. I'm fine with that because I know how stuff works, and that this is how the game goes. TW rating doesn't stop that. If you don't shave them, you won't like them, and they won't last.
They last longer shaved than not shaved? Is that because of chunking or something? I've never dealt with shaved tires before and the 275/40/17 size is interesting to me since I'd prefer to run 17" wheels for everything.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:57 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Of course, because that's the game. And I called it way back when. Hankook did it, and now Toyo.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by troyguitar
They last longer shaved than not shaved? Is that because of chunking or something? I've never dealt with shaved tires before and the 275/40/17 size is interesting to me since I'd prefer to run 17" wheels for everything.
Yep. Yep, too much squirm in a soft compound tire with a big car on top. Even the Honda guys were shaving tires (and I mean small Honda's like CRX's). There is nothing new in the world, this is R-comps from 15 years ago all over (BFG R1 and Kumho Victoracer) which needed shaved. Then they wised up and realized it was stupid to mold the tire then shave it, so they molded them more shallow because it MADE SENSE.

But I guess it makes more sense to make a rule that's so lame they can't enforce it to the point that even if a tire meets the rule it can still be put on an exclusion list arbitrarily, AND to go back to tires that are better shaved so people have to spend more money on that.

Quick Reply: C4 for B Street