Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evolution Performance Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Evolution Performance Driving School

Has anyone here gone through this driving school? I am doing all three days this weekend and am curious of experiences with it. I am expecting it to be a ton of fun either way, since I am getting to run all weekend.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 AM
jcp907
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
Has anyone here gone through this driving school? I am doing all three days this weekend and am curious of experiences with it. I am expecting it to be a ton of fun either way, since I am getting to run all weekend.
I've done Phase one, and I learned a ton in the AM. I am not sure if I lost focus in the afternoon or what, but it wasn't as productive for me. It was hot, and I ran a lot...I am not used to running.

If you can help it, don't work the slalom...

It's worth the money.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Disclaimer; I used to instruct for them, and may even still be on their list... but have not done it in a long time so I don't consider myself biased.

if you want to autocross, you WILL learn a ton and have a good time doing it. If you are new to autocross, or even intermediate, it is the best money you can spend.

many advanced autocrossers i know continue to repeat the EVO courses every now and then as good refreshers.

most if not all of the instructors are former SCCA national champions, and they are very good. they tell you new things, and then they show you; then they watch you do it, and that is how you really learn.

if you want to track or road race, the school will help you as well. for one thing, in my opinion, you SHOULD be a good autocrosser first anyway. but even if autocrossing is not your thing, it is worth the money.

i made my daughter take it when she was 16 and it helped her daily safety tremendously.

so bottom line, DO IT.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:41 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm doing phase one in about a month. Pretty excited for it. Take some video and let us know how it goes if you can, OP.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I took a couple of levels years ago, very good school. Very good instructors.

Regional autox novice schools if your region has them are a good option also and better "bang for the buck" also not just for novice.

But you don't get the "star quality" of having a nat champ in your passenger seat.

Amazing what those guys can make a car do. I remember Jr. driving my LT4 with one hand while he pointed out where I should be looking with his other hand and being so fast & smooth I just was amazed.

Sigh.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theseal
Disclaimer; I used to instruct for them, and may even still be on their list... but have not done it in a long time so I don't consider myself biased.

if you want to autocross, you WILL learn a ton and have a good time doing it. If you are new to autocross, or even intermediate, it is the best money you can spend.

many advanced autocrossers i know continue to repeat the EVO courses every now and then as good refreshers.

most if not all of the instructors are former SCCA national champions, and they are very good. they tell you new things, and then they show you; then they watch you do it, and that is how you really learn.

if you want to track or road race, the school will help you as well. for one thing, in my opinion, you SHOULD be a good autocrosser first anyway. but even if autocrossing is not your thing, it is worth the money.

i made my daughter take it when she was 16 and it helped her daily safety tremendously.

so bottom line, DO IT.
That is awesome to here. I am coming to the end of my first full year of autocross right now and I really want to see how much more my car has on street tires before I make the jump to any form of race tire. Our instructors are: Mike "Junior" Johnson, Heyward Wagner, Tom Kotzian, Jinx Jordan, and we have one of our regional champions instructing as well.
Originally Posted by dhowdy
I'm doing phase one in about a month. Pretty excited for it. Take some video and let us know how it goes if you can, OP.
I am stoked. I am doing phase one and two, then they are doing a test and tune where we will set a time in our car, then the instructors goes and beats it, then we get back in until the time from either of us cannot be beat. I will do my best to get some videos and will write up a report for you on it if you'd like when we get done on Monday.
Originally Posted by froggy47
I took a couple of levels years ago, very good school. Very good instructors.

Regional autox novice schools if your region has them are a good option also and better "bang for the buck" also not just for novice.

But you don't get the "star quality" of having a nat champ in your passenger seat.

Amazing what those guys can make a car do. I remember Jr. driving my LT4 with one hand while he pointed out where I should be looking with his other hand and being so fast & smooth I just was amazed.

Sigh.

I wish we had regional schools, but being in Hawaii we take what we can get. If this school can get me within 2 seconds of the top SSM cars and maybe get me to the toip 2 or 3 in the rookie class I race in (PAX based class sucks for SSM cars I have found), then I think it will be worth it for the money I spent.

Thanks for all the input guys. this eases hat very miniscule amount of doubt I had in the back of my mind. 75+ runs over the next 3 days should be a blast to do.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm glad someone asked. It's Feb 7,8 down here. I'm going.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Was going to take an SCCA starting line class at Fontana this weekend, but have two cars down. I've heard nothing but good things about these schools.

Maybe I'll ask Froggy Steve to give me some personal instruction?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM
justkickin
Instructor

I have done Phase 1, best money I have ever spent on autox. I still go back to the video and notes before every season. Definitely have a camera in your car so you can hear what the instructors say and watch what they do.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm one of the most senior instructors. Do it. Back when it was McKamey School, it really turned my lightbulb on.

Bear in mind that different people teach different things and in different ways. If you aren't clicking with your instructor (but give him/her a chance first) tell someone so they can change instructors to benefit you the most.

For the love of all that's holy. Have an open mind. If you don't, you are wasting your time and money.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I did two clinics a decade or so ago and absolutely loved it -- had two wonderful instructors, Mark Daddio and Pat Salerno, both of whom were a hoot to learn from and great, patient teachers. All of the staff at that time were incredibly professional and friendly.

You'll love it and learn a lot.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:50 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Just got with Phase 1 and 2, and holy cow is all I can say. The things I have learned and the improvements that the veterans in my region tell me they have seen makes this totally with the money. We have one more day for a test and tune tomorrow with a little bit more work on looking ahead. I can't wait for our next race on the first to see just how much the improvements are actually worth.

If any one has any doubt about this school: Do it!!!! It is completely worth the money for worth you learn.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome. Did you take video? I also learned today at the PCA event I was at that Peters was down there. He's a local to our region here in AZ. Occasionally shows up and demolishes us on PAX
Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 AM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Awesome. Did you take video? I also learned today at the PCA event I was at that Peters was down there. He's a local to our region here in AZ. Occasionally shows up and demolishes us on PAX
I did get some video but I need get it uploaded. The only one on the list who is here is Tom Kotzian. There was a change for the others, but things Tom can do with a car are out of this world. I felt amazing being only .4 seconds slower than his best time in my car.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Im going to try to make the one in June @ Devins
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383
Im going to try to make the one in June @ Devins
For the love of god do it!!!! The sheer amount of knowledge I got this weekend was incredible. I ended up with 68 total run over the last three days and I still learned something new each time I had an instructor in the car with me. My next event is on the 1st of February and I cannot wait to see what the actual improvements based on the other drivers will be. we ran a track similar to a previous event from this season yesterday for our test and tune, and I saw a 5.5 second difference in my times with added elements. while I know it will not be this drastic, It was still a gauge to see what improvements I made.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
For the love of god do it!!!! The sheer amount of knowledge I got this weekend was incredible. I ended up with 68 total run over the last three days and I still learned something new each time I had an instructor in the car with me. My next event is on the 1st of February and I cannot wait to see what the actual improvements based on the other drivers will be. we ran a track similar to a previous event from this season yesterday for our test and tune, and I saw a 5.5 second difference in my times with added elements. while I know it will not be this drastic, It was still a gauge to see what improvements I made.
how much AX experience did you have prior to this?
Now if I can convince my wife I need to do the 2 day

Get notified of new replies

To Evolution Performance Driving School

Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383
how much AX experience did you have prior to this?
Now if I can convince my wife I need to do the 2 day
I have about 10 months of experience. I made more runs this weekend than I have since I started combined. I personally feel that both days should be done to get the most out of it, as day 2 really hammers home the things they teach on day 1.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Paging Mr. Sam Strano.

Feb 7,8 Savannah.

You know you wanna.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I took Phase 2 in Detroit and had 2 instructors split up by the lunch break. It was great to hear from 2 nationally competitive instructors. I had very discernible results from taking the course. They teach good habits which build a great foundation for competitive driving. Every national champ has a good foundation.

I also recommend it for someone new to autocross or even new to a car because I had something like 20 runs and it was the second autocross I ever had my C5 at. And to give you an idea of results, the event I had prior to Evo School, my STU C5 and I were behind STX cars on raw time and fell somewhere around 40th-50th on pax of ~180 cars. The event on the day after the Evo School, I was top 10 PAX of ~180 cars and beat all the same STX cars that beat me previously. I even out-PAX'd the legendary John Heinricy (some luck involved there too).

I'm not a nationally competitive autocrosser, but I've been doing competitive driving as a hobby for several years and saw a good benefit to the Evo School. Spend the money, show up with an open mind willing to learn, and make lots of runs. There's no way to lose imo.

Quick Reply: Evolution Performance Driving School