Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Weird ABS Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default A Weird ABS Issue?

I daily drive a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V.

For a couple of months when I am driving a feel a momentary high frequency shudder in the car for about 1/2 a second. If I am in cruise control it will drop out of CC. The car also feel so pull for a moment to the left.

This problem tends to happen the most it seems while cruising on the highway. I felt it to be associated with the AbS system, but that seemed implausible while just cruising. But I the past two weeks twice while braking it did the shudder while my foot was on the brake pedal. The pedal vibrated and felt to push back a bit like when in ice mode. The highways in SoCal are always dry and warm when this is happening. This event occurs now every few mile of driving.

Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Oli,

I would try an ABS module - there are used ones on E-bay for under $200. It's the only thing that controls your brakes other than your foot.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I daily drive a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V.

For a couple of months when I am driving a feel a momentary high frequency shudder in the car for about 1/2 a second. If I am in cruise control it will drop out of CC. The car also feel so pull for a moment to the left.

This problem tends to happen the most it seems while cruising on the highway. I felt it to be associated with the AbS system, but that seemed implausible while just cruising. But I the past two weeks twice while braking it did the shudder while my foot was on the brake pedal. The pedal vibrated and felt to push back a bit like when in ice mode. The highways in SoCal are always dry and warm when this is happening. This event occurs now every few mile of driving.

Any ideas?
These are the classic symptoms of the Steering Wheel Position sensor going bad. SWPS sends momentary bad data to the EBCM, EBCM "thinks" you're sliding and applies one of the front brakes to "correct" the slid.

Check your codes but, that's where I would look.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bluefire
These are the classic symptoms of the Steering Wheel Position sensor going bad. SWPS sends momentary bad data to the EBCM, EBCM "thinks" you're sliding and applies one of the front brakes to "correct" the slid.

Good idea. I will turn of TC while I am driving and see if that diminishes or eliminates the problem. That will help me trouble shoot.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Oli,

I would try an ABS module - there are used ones on E-bay for under $200. It's the only thing that controls your brakes other than your foot.

That is a good idea as well. I already have a spare for the C5 Z06 race car I have. I need to check and see if it is the same unit.

Interestingly enough, I don't get any codes on the DIC when this occurs.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Good idea. I will turn of TC while I am driving and see if that diminishes or eliminates the problem. That will help me trouble shoot.
Can you pull the connector off of the SWPS to see if it demonstrates the same failure mechanism?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It could be a loose wheel bearing causing slightly erratic wheel speed signals. The EBCM checks for those and will throw a code if they get to erratic but when it is just starting to go bad the EBCM may not flag the error. My Tahoe has the GM truck ABS problem. Where ABS would activate when making stops like you are making. Since mine was one of the few AWD models in 03 it also has traction control and my first indication of a problem was when TC control cut in and brought the Tahoe to a stop as I was pulling away from a stop. The fix was to clean corrosion off the ABS Sensors which aren't part of the hub. Have to do that about every two years.

Bill
Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd pull the ABS fuse and see if the problem goes away. If not, then you have some kind of mechanical issue. Otherwise, i'd hook up a scanner and log data from the ABS computer. look for some sensor being whacky at time of shudder/pull.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I'd pull the ABS fuse and see if the problem goes away. If not, then you have some kind of mechanical issue. Otherwise, i'd hook up a scanner and log data from the ABS computer. look for some sensor being whacky at time of shudder/pull.

Another good idea!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire

I had similar problem in my C5, went the ABS repair mode and problem still there. It was the SWPS. First try cleaning contacts because that sometimes is the issue. If thst doesn't work you need to replace the sensor itself.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Oli,

Check out this link

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-install.html
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

Thanks Joel.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I drove around today with traction control disabled and the problem persists.

Tomorrow morning I am pulling the ABS fuse to see if that eliminates the problem.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I was thinking you might have a tire out of balance or a slightly bent rim.

Get notified of new replies

To A Weird ABS Issue?

Quick Reply: A Weird ABS Issue?