Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a HANS device help with neck issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:03 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Will a HANS device help with neck issues?

Apologies if I managed to double post this.

I like to HPDE. Been doing it for years, REALLY enjoy it. Details about my car is in the signature. It'll do 1.1 gs all day long. Its my DD, that gets to double duty as the occasional track car. I used to get out maybe 1-2 times a year, always wanted to do more.

Over the last few years, I've started to have some issues with my neck. Specifically, after sufficient time with the helmet pulling on my head, especially threshold braking, my upper back and neck start to lose it, and then they yank on my inner ear, and that is that, I'm done for the day. The last time out, I only lasted two sessions. I haven't been back to the track in over a year.

But I really want to get back out there.

I was wondering if a HANS device would help. Let the harnesses and the seat do more of the work, and less my neck. It's a great theory, and I'd be willing to spend the money to switch to a racing seat, harnesses, etc., IF it actually worked.

Anyone have any experience on this?

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:31 PM
ColinG
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have enough experience of HANS devices so cannot help with that specific question but have you tried strengthening the neck and back muscles to cope with the extra weight and forces? The reason I ask is that there was a racing driver at my gym who was receiving specific training for this, I would often see him in the gym doing exercises whilst wearing his helmet. Just had another thought, have you considered a CF helmet?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by ColinG
I don't have enough experience of HANS devices so cannot help with that specific question but have you tried strengthening the neck and back muscles to cope with the extra weight and forces? The reason I ask is that there was a racing driver at my gym who was receiving specific training for this, I would often see him in the gym doing exercises whilst wearing his helmet. Just had another thought, have you considered a CF helmet?
I actually have on occasion worked some neck exercises, using a stretchy cord. Pretty quickly added an inch to my neck size. But I'm not as consistent with that as I should be. I started doing martial arts a year or so ago with my son, and that has certainly thickened my neck up a bit as well.

I haven't looked at a carbon fiber helmet. I got a pretty big head, I fear the meat is the problem, not the covering!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

In my race car I have a Racetech containment seat and also wear a Necksgen head and neck restraint. The head and neck restraint does not come into play for what you are talking about...however, the seat does, for me - this past weekend, some long left-hand turns...could feel it in my neck (neck was sore anyway, prior to running Fri-Sun)...said to myself "hey, dummy, you're seat surrounds your helmet...use it!" So, yep, used it...made a difference! Being harnessed in will keep your torso locked in...but will not do anything for your neck.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The HANS won't help with this issue as It doesn't actually hold your head only limits the movement in a crash. Drag guys use a neck pad that could help with this for you if it sits under the helmet right. It isn't a safety device though, so still consider the HANS.

I would guess you are moving around in your seat too which will make you use your neck muscles. A beeter fitting seat and harness could solve it. Good luck!

Originally Posted by godzilladude

I like to HPDE. Been doing it for years, REALLY enjoy it. Details about my car is in the signature. It'll do 1.1 gs all day long. Its my DD, that gets to double duty as the occasional track car. I used to get out maybe 1-2 times a year, always wanted to do more.

Over the last few years, I've started to have some issues with my neck. Specifically, after sufficient time with the helmet pulling on my head, especially threshold braking, my upper back and neck start to lose it, and then they yank on my inner ear, and that is that, I'm done for the day. The last time out, I only lasted two sessions. I haven't been back to the track in over a year.

I was wondering if a HANS device would help. Let the harnesses and the seat do more of the work, and less my neck. It's a great theory, and I'd be willing to spend the money to switch to a racing seat, harnesses, etc., IF it actually worked.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cwikstro
The HANS won't help with this issue as It doesn't actually hold your head only limits the movement in a crash. Drag guys use a neck pad that could help with this for you if it sits under the helmet right. It isn't a safety device though, so still consider the HANS.

I would guess you are moving around in your seat too which will make you use your neck muscles. A beeter fitting seat and harness could solve it. Good luck!

Thank you for bringing this up...the neck collar (sometimes call "neck/helmet support")...some folks use it in road racing too (and dirt track)...wife tried it, she hates it!

OP - go to Smiley's (3 locations in the DFW area), they stock these there....

http://www.smileysracing.com/shopping/?ic=8662
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For Safety, I would use a HANS. There is a Youtube video that shows what can happen if you're hit by another driver. It does happen.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HANS won't help with this issue as It doesn't actually hold your head only limits the movement in a crash. Drag guys use a neck pad that could help with this for you if it sits under the helmet right.
Agreed with this. My neck can still get sore while wearing a HANS.

Try the donut to support the helmet on your shoulders.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Problem with wearing the neck collar is it might not fit with the HANS.

Bill
Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was younger my parents duct taped a few lb lead weight to the top of a helmet and had me wear it at home to build up the strength/stamina for going out snowmobiling with a helmet on for 8 hours a day. Since then helmets have never bothered me.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Do neck & back excercise

You can do them at home so you don't look like a dork wearing helmet at gym

Put on helmet Lay on your bed w head sticking off
Raise & lower your head 10 to 15 x

Flip over & repeat

Do that 3 or 4 x a week & you're neck will b stronger
Old 01-21-2015, 12:37 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

A HANS or NecksGen isn't for this use. It won't help neck fatigue, but it can save you neck....

Good suggestions were made already, many of them. Exercises of course to make the neck stronger. A lighterweight helmet. A foam collar to help support the helmet in cornering.

I sell helmets, including carbon ones, there are reasonably priced carbon helmets these days too. And I have collars which are really cheap. But I hate them. Aside from being hot, if you tilt your head as you drive you can't do that really anymore. But it's cheap enough to try ($25 and up, nicer ones, less bulky ones run more).

Carbon helmets are around $345 and up.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with this comment............I've been tracking for a while, and had similar issues with neck strain. Then one day I realized that I could brace my shoulder into the "wings" of my Kirkey road race seat in 1+ g turns and ever since then I have not had any problems even with a day with long sessions. I also maintain a neutral head position, which not only helps with the strain, but also with visibility/looking ahead, and with feeling what the car is doing. Lastly, being strapped in snugly with 5 or 6 point harness helps with all this.

Good luck in your track adventures!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Thanks everyone! I have indeed been doing my back/neck exercises, so waiting for another shot at the track. Given how my car does over 1g all the time, a racing seat would be WONDERFUL. I keep putting it off, they cost a lot and I've always heard it is best to sit in one first, they come in all sorts of shapes. Some day.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Have you used the neck traction pulley/water bag weight/over the door type rig? You can get it at the local pharmacy. It helps. My 62 year old neck has had a rough life; grew up in a furniture store throwing big recliners over my head to carry along with moving other heavy, awkward pieces of furniture for many years and then wore a Miller 200 diving helmet that weighs 35 pounds for a few years. When my neck started pinching a nerve I tried the pulley traction and it worked. I also had some steroid treatment, massage therapy and chiropractic. It will fix you right up. Haven't had problems for several years but I do wear a CF helmet at the track.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a big difference between a HANS and a NecksGEN? Was just looking at the NECKSGEN and seem like they would be more comfortable but does it provide the same protection? Thanks

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A HANS or NecksGen isn't for this use. It won't help neck fatigue, but it can save you neck....

Good suggestions were made already, many of them. Exercises of course to make the neck stronger. A lighterweight helmet. A foam collar to help support the helmet in cornering.

I sell helmets, including carbon ones, there are reasonably priced carbon helmets these days too. And I have collars which are really cheap. But I hate them. Aside from being hot, if you tilt your head as you drive you can't do that really anymore. But it's cheap enough to try ($25 and up, nicer ones, less bulky ones run more).

Carbon helmets are around $345 and up.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Over the last few years, I've started to have some issues with my neck. Specifically, after sufficient time with the helmet pulling on my head, especially threshold braking, my upper back and neck start to lose it, and then they yank on my inner ear, and that is that, I'm done for the day. The last time out, I only lasted two sessions.
Many responses sound fine but I have to question what is up with your inner ear? A tired neck should not effect that. Maybe you should be checked out by your MD then ask him for a PT referral to help strengthen the neck muscles properly. The older you are the more problems we have around the neck and any damage you do to your neck is not easy to recover from.

A HANS only prevents a certain kind of injury.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a HANS device help with neck issues?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone! I have indeed been doing my back/neck exercises, so waiting for another shot at the track. Given how my car does over 1g all the time, a racing seat would be WONDERFUL. I keep putting it off, they cost a lot and I've always heard it is best to sit in one first, they come in all sorts of shapes. Some day.
While a halo racing seat will probably help with fatigue, I've seen multiple times where people who lean on their halo are slower than holding off of it. I've no explanation for it, but I think it has to do with the relaxing causing the driver to lose focus.

Get a head-neck system and halo seat for safety (so you don't get killed) but keep doing those neck exercises
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I use an R3 Rage and love it...can't even tell it's there.

Depending on how tight you set the straps, if might help with sore neck, but then you are severely limiting your amount of head movement.

When I have it on in the car, I can only turn my head about 45 degrees to the left or right before the restraint stops my movement.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have neck problems now, imagine how you would feel after this....

Quick Reply: Will a HANS device help with neck issues?