Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do CCW or CW streets of willow? (First time there)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default Should I do CCW or CW streets of willow? (First time there)

Should I do CCW or CW streets of willow? I know the LS blocks have issues with long left handed sweepers.. Should this be an issue at streets of willow? Never been there before.

First time at the track, which config do you think I should do?

I have a stock c5z

thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 PM
B4CHawk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your worried about LH sweepers, do CW. It's a slightly slower course that way as well.

Don't be brave on the chicane your first few goes.

Have fun!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No issues at either CW or CCW at Streets of Willow. There aren't any long banked sweepers that would affect your car. Go out and enjoy yourself.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

An LS6 will not have any problems either direction on that track.

CW is the most traditional and legitimate config for testing lap times, but more cars get damaged in that direction with the dog legged Turn 1 and the Chicane being the culprits. The speeds are north of 100 MPH in your car on that track. The "Bowl" has bitten a few cars over the years, too. Going the other direction those turns are innocuous and very low risk on that track in my opinion unless you really botch the entry to the bowl, but that is hard to do.

I don't mean to intimidate you with my comments, but I have a lot of track days and laps on that track over the past 10 years. It is a fun track and a good learning track. Despite what people tell you it is a Corvette track and not a small car small engine track. I have a 1:16.816 lap time on that track in my car in T1 trim to prove the point.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

While I have run the same times CW and CCW they are pretty different tracks. I find CW to be pretty challenging (and a bit risky) and CCW to be really, really easy. You can hurt the car in either direction but CW has more trouble spots.

I would not recommend going to to Speed Ventures CW since they put up hay bales in the chicane.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

CCW is easier, CW is faster. Both are fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:51 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

CW is the most traditional and legitimate config for testing lap times, but more cars get damaged in that direction with the dog legged Turn 1 and the Chicane being the culprits. The speeds are north of 100 MPH in your car on that track. The "Bowl" has bitten a few cars over the years, too. Going the other direction those turns are innocuous and very low risk on that track in my opinion unless you really botch the entry to the bowl, but that is hard to do.

I don't mean to intimidate you with my comments, but I have a lot of track days and laps on that track over the past 10 years. It is a fun track and a good learning track. Despite what people tell you it is a Corvette track and not a small car small engine track. I have a 1:16.816 lap time on that track in my car in T1 trim to prove the point.
Listen to this man...he speaketh the truth!

I miss SOW a lot more than Big Willow.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtb-z
While I have run the same times CW and CCW they are pretty different tracks. I find CW to be pretty challenging (and a bit risky) and CCW to be really, really easy. You can hurt the car in either direction but CW has more trouble spots.

I would not recommend going to to Speed Ventures CW since they put up hay bales in the chicane.
When you say cars getting damaged.. even at a HPDE event? How are they usually damaged?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Even at a HPDE you can experience serious injury even death if you are not careful. I have been to enough events and have seen cars flip and get totaled. People are driving at a high rate of speed.

You just have to drive within your limits and stay aware of others around you. Stuff happens but always don't drive beyond your abilities.

It is a HPDE and no one is winning any trophies or taking home a paycheck. Just go out and have a good time, and attempt to improve your driving skills while doing so.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mammoth713
When you say cars getting damaged.. even at a HPDE event? How are they usually damaged?
Drivers go out and over drive their cars and get into trouble. Most of the time over driving just results in a spin or getting your car dirty. Once in a while it can result in something serious. Keep your aggression in check on a couple of the higher speed sections like Turn 1 and the Esses and it is hard to get into trouble.

I tell people to listen to their inner self-preservation speaking and they are fine. Driver that get too cocky or think they are Gods Gift to driving are likely to get into trouble.

Aaron at Speed Ventures who I respect immensely tells me the most problematic group is the intermediates. The beginners are cautious with trepidation and driving within the limits of their car and skill. The advanced drivers have made a lot of mistakes and know better the range of their limits. The intermediates have never really found their limits or loosely know them. They don't yet know what they don't know and sometimes that bites them in the butt.

Go out and have fun and don't ruminate on my words of caution, just be educated and aware of those two sections of the track if your are new to track days. I am a huge advocate of Corvette drivers taking their cars to the track and learning to drive these wonderful cars.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:52 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skxf430
Even at a HPDE you can experience serious injury even death if you are not careful. I have been to enough events and have seen cars flip and get totaled. People are driving at a high rate of speed.

You just have to drive within your limits and stay aware of others around you. Stuff happens but always don't drive beyond your abilities.

It is a HPDE and no one is winning any trophies or taking home a paycheck. Just go out and have a good time, and attempt to improve your driving skills while doing so.
Drivers go out and over drive their cars and get into trouble. Most of the time over driving just results in a spin or getting your car dirty. Once in a while it can result in something serious. Keep your aggression in check on a couple of the higher speed sections like Turn 1 and the Esses and it is hard to get into trouble.

I tell people to listen to their inner self-preservation speaking and they are fine. Driver that get too cocky or think they are Gods Gift to driving are likely to get into trouble.

Aaron at Speed Ventures who I respect immensely tells me the most problematic group is the intermediates. The beginners are cautious with trepidation and driving within the limits of their car and skill. The advanced drivers have made a lot of mistakes and know better the range of their limits. The intermediates have never really found their limits or loosely know them. They don't yet know what they don't know and sometimes that bites them in the butt.

Go out and have fun and don't ruminate on my words of caution, just be educated and aware of those two sections of the track if your are new to track days. I am a huge advocate of Corvette drivers taking their cars to the track and learning to drive these wonderful cars.
Well I was going to sign up with speed ventures.. How does it work since I'm new? Do I get assigned an instructor? Do I automatically start in the beginners group? What group tends to have the most people in it? How many people are typically on the track at once?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Aaron typically limits track density to one car per 10th mile of track or slightly higher. That means a 1.8 mile track like SoWS will be limited to about 20 cars at Speed Ventures assuming he gets that many actual sign ups. Some organizers will pack it much tighter.

SV typically has some classroom lecture, lead follow and passing exercises for beginners in the first row sessions. It is an effective program. I recommend getting one of their driving instructors to coach you if it is your first time.

You will learn a lot and it will be the highlight of your year. Expect to be nervous and feel like a total nubee. That is normal. Just relax and take the day one step at a time. It will all come together as the day concludes. People are friendly and welcoming. Find someone you can hang out with. They will answer questions and help guide you through the day.

Last edited by Olitho; 01-24-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I looked up the registration list. If you go on Saturday look for Robert Cumberland in a hot looking red C6 Z06 race prepped car. He is very experienced, very friendly and very knowledgeable. Make sure you park next to him. Tell him you chatted with Oli (pronounced Olee) on Corvette Forum and that I told you to hang out with him for support. ...better yet, I will e-mail him for you to have him expect you.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Aaron typically limits track density to one car per 10th mile of track or slightly higher. That means a 1.8 mile track like SoWS will be limited to about 20 cars at Speed Ventures assuming he gets that many actual sign ups. Some organizers will pack it much tighter.

SV typically has some classroom lecture, lead follow and passing exercises for beginners in the first row sessions. It is an effective program. I recommend getting one of their driving instructors to coach you if it is your first time.

You will learn a lot and it will be the highlight of your year. Expect to be nervous and feel like a total nubee. That is normal. Just relax and take the day one step at a time. It will all come together as the day concludes. People are friendly and welcoming. Find someone you can hang out with. They will answer questions and help guide you through the day.
I looked up the registration list. If you go on Saturday look for Robert Cumberland in a hot looking red C6 Z06 race prepped car. He is very experienced, very friendly and very knowledgeable. Make sure you park next to him. Tell him you chatted with Oli (pronounced Olee) on Corvette Forum and that I told you to hang out with him for support. ...better yet, I will e-mail him for you to have him expect you.
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it since I'm new this whole process..
Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it since I'm new this whole process..

Robert wrote back to me. He said he will watch over you.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Robert wrote back to me. He said he will watch over you.
Thank you-

Few more questions if you dont mind -

I was planning on using racechrono app on my android phone and having my phone mounted next to the rear view mirror. Is this allowed? Should I rent a transponder my first time out or should I be fine just getting general laptimes off my app?

I was going to record w/ a gopro for video, racechrono as my timing/data logging, and I have a bluetooth external GPS unit. Is this allowed?

Should I get track insurance? If so, what is a good insurance company?

When I'm signing up on speedventures site, it asks if I want to join the corvette challenge. What is that?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Yes, you can use your phone and have it mounted to your windshield, as well as using a GoPro and people do it all the time. A transponder will always give you a more accurate time but if you want data to analyze, than you will need either an app or something more advanced like an AIM Solo.

Never bought track insurance but stuff does happen. Just remember to drive within your limits as you are a beginner, and listen to your instructor.

Corvette Challenge is a year long time attack competition that is put on by Speed Ventures. A lot Corvette enthusiasts compete so you will be surrounded by a bunch of Vette enthusiasts who will be more than happy to help you out.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I do CCW or CW streets of willow? (First time there)

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skxf430
Yes, you can use your phone and have it mounted to your windshield, as well as using a GoPro and people do it all the time. A transponder will always give you a more accurate time but if you want data to analyze, than you will need either an app or something more advanced like an AIM Solo.

Never bought track insurance but stuff does happen. Just remember to drive within your limits as you are a beginner, and listen to your instructor.

Corvette Challenge is a year long time attack competition that is put on by Speed Ventures. A lot Corvette enthusiasts compete so you will be surrounded by a bunch of Vette enthusiasts who will be more than happy to help you out.
Well should I even consider entering the corvette challenge since I'm new?
If you rent a transponder, does it just relay your times to the track staff and you see the times after you go to the pits? Or is it realtime updating on some kind of display in the car?

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-25-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Well should I even consider entering the corvette challenge since I'm new?
If you rent a transponder, does it just relay your times to the track staff and you see the times after you go to the pits? Or is it realtime updating on some kind of display in the car?
The times are logged by SV and you can review them when you finish your session. There is a $300 device I have in my race car that displays the officially recorded lap time, and if racing the position in class, time behind the leader, etc.

You will find there is almost no end to the gadgets you can buy. When I started and I was using my street car 10+ years ago I did buy an annual track policy open the car as it was not that expensive given how often I was tracking. Day and weekend policies are available.

The Corvette Challenges is actually a series I started several years back. SV hosts it, but it is actually run by a small committee of drivers. I am no longer involved as my racing schedule conflicts too often.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM
randomus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette Challenge is free to enter and there are a few things that make it worthwhile even if its your first day.

1. If you happen to be the only person in your class you will get first place. The first three places have gotten small discounts for later SV events.

2. Last year we got a free lunch, I don't know if this is happening this year.

3. There are Corvette Challenge T-Shirts at most of the events that are also free when you sign up.

And the biggest thing

There will be a bunch of people with Corvettes of all different types that you can hang out with and learn!

Quick Reply: Should I do CCW or CW streets of willow? (First time there)