Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Ultimate Street Car Thunderhill Feb 28th

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

^what he said. The RS guys are fast and with Corvettes and awd cars in the same class its going to be hard to beat them. But, since they took away a lot of the aero for this year its still up in the air as to what car is going to be the front runner. I know Hobaugh is building a c5z and Cris ad JCG has a c5z that Popp has been helping him with. Not sure what Kyle Tucker is doing. Thwaits in his z/28 would have been a contender had he not have issues in Vegas so look for him to make a strong run at things also.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm curious to see how the classing shakes out, c5's and evos can both easily get over/under the 3200lb mark which gives them both 2 classes to play in. a lot of the guys I've seen that ran last year all appear to be ballasting up to get into the vintage class (presumably to avoid running against the evo and c5)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

As far as I know there weren't to many cars that are eligible for the vintage class that were under the 3200lbs except for Maier's Mustang and Hobaughs Vette. Tuckers 2nd gen was over 3600, not sure about Vokels, Rozzels 1st get was over the 3200lbs as well.

When it comes down to it, its going to be hard to beat the EVO's and C5's. No matter how much money and time you spend on a vintage car its still that, a vintage car. They don't have the factory aero, and handling like the newer cars have.

Last edited by chetly; 01-27-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
I'm curious to see how the classing shakes out, c5's and evos can both easily get over/under the 3200lb mark which gives them both 2 classes to play in. a lot of the guys I've seen that ran last year all appear to be ballasting up to get into the vintage class (presumably to avoid running against the evo and c5)
If the competition weren't so heavily weighted on the autox side it would be more interesting, but I plan to ballast to 3200 and expect any other corvette or evo would do the same - you don't want to be running against a 2000 lb Lotus in my opinion. (with infinite money that's what I would build, a 2000 lb Elise with a 300+ whp K20 and sequential trans)

Ballasting to 3200 allows you to really help the weight distribution on the C5 in particular. Get rid of the battery, pop-up headlights, heavy exhaust manifolds, heavy hood, smog pump stuff, heavy rotors and calipers and you can drop a good 100+ lbs off the nose of the car and instead put that weight down low right in front of the rear tires. Sadly I can't do all of that this year, but that's my plan.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

True a lotus as described could be a ringer, of course with any ringer someone has to actually build one and then show up with it.

I suspect this year the competition will be even tougher! I like where your heads at with the whole loose weight than ballast exactly where needed to help the weight distribution! might have to steal that idea as I'm already 200+ lbs below min weight.

Of course if the lightweight class is less contested like last year I like the chances better against wildly built lightweight cars that are untested/unproven vs running heavy weight cars like Danny and Brian
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

or just show up with Ariel Atom 3S
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
If the competition weren't so heavily weighted on the autox side it would be more interesting, but I plan to ballast to 3200 and expect any other corvette or evo would do the same - you don't want to be running against a 2000 lb Lotus in my opinion. (with infinite money that's what I would build, a 2000 lb Elise with a 300+ whp K20 and sequential trans)

Ballasting to 3200 allows you to really help the weight distribution on the C5 in particular. Get rid of the battery, pop-up headlights, heavy exhaust manifolds, heavy hood, smog pump stuff, heavy rotors and calipers and you can drop a good 100+ lbs off the nose of the car and instead put that weight down low right in front of the rear tires. Sadly I can't do all of that this year, but that's my plan.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by chetly
or just show up with Ariel Atom 3S
I assume an atom would get dead last in the design portion, but I'm not sure how they'd score something like that so you could be right.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:29 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm seeing excuses from some people who see this as their closest shot toward greatness coupled with the lack of money/talent needed to win even a spec class. Deal with it. Quit whining about how the series isn't perfect for your exact car/situation and run. I don't have a big pocketbook either, but still take satisfaction beating some of my contemporaries and losing to others that help me go faster in the long run.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to help you go faster Mr Nutter.......wait a minute I think you help me go faster with those chunks of aluminum I get from you
Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrash
Glad to help you go faster Mr Nutter.......wait a minute I think you help me go faster with those chunks of aluminum I get from you
Remember u getting on my butt down the front straight at Putnam. Yep prime example of helping me go faster .
Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

I assume an atom would get dead last in the design portion, but I'm not sure how they'd score something like that so you could be right.
Doesn't really matter you can still score 15 of the 25 points automatically and I've never seen anyone get a 0 or perfect 10 from the judges so that means less than 9 points between 1st and last in the design portion........which taking 1st in all 3 speed events gives you 9 points over 2nd.

next excuse?

Originally Posted by briannutter1
I'm seeing excuses from some people who see this as their closest shot toward greatness coupled with the lack of money/talent needed to win even a spec class. Deal with it. Quit whining about how the series isn't perfect for your exact car/situation and run. I don't have a big pocketbook either, but still take satisfaction beating some of my contemporaries and losing to others that help me go faster in the long run.
Thank you! I've been trying to convey that all along. I see too many people bash these events before they even try them. You lose every event you don't enter!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Doesn't really matter you can still score 15 of the 25 points automatically and I've never seen anyone get a 0 or perfect 10 from the judges so that means less than 9 points between 1st and last in the design portion........which taking 1st in all 3 speed events gives you 9 points over 2nd.

next excuse?
What the hell is your problem?

I said I wouldn't enter the lightweight class.

I WILL enter the 3200 lb class.

(I also WILL lose because I'm a terrible autox driver, even with the best car in the world I'd still lose)

How in the bloody hell is asking questions about the events "excuses for not going"?

I WANT TO BE INFORMED BEFORE I GO.

Who just shows up to a competition without knowing as much about it as possible beforehand?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

What the hell is your problem?

I said I wouldn't enter the lightweight class.

I WILL enter the 3200 lb class.

(I also WILL lose because I'm a terrible autox driver, even with the best car in the world I'd still lose)

How in the bloody hell is asking questions about the events "excuses for not going"?

I WANT TO BE INFORMED BEFORE I GO.

Who just shows up to a competition without knowing as much about it as possible beforehand?
Woah sorry! I certainly didn't mean any offense by my comment, I agree with learn all you can ahead of time, but eventually you just have to jump in! Only so much to be learned by reading (especially if you learn by doing like I do)

On an unrelated note, looks like there are already a fair amount of corvettes signed up for the first event just under 3 weeks from today!

Anybody from this forum? I'll certainly be watching with interest and living vicariously through you as there's still a solid 2 months before my first race of the season.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Woah sorry! I certainly didn't mean any offense by my comment, I agree with learn all you can ahead of time, but eventually you just have to jump in! Only so much to be learned by reading (especially if you learn by doing like I do)

On an unrelated note, looks like there are already a fair amount of corvettes signed up for the first event just under 3 weeks from today!

Anybody from this forum? I'll certainly be watching with interest and living vicariously through you as there's still a solid 2 months before my first race of the season.
I think 3 more Corvettes were added in the last two days
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Looks like Vettes did pretty well at this event! anybody care to comment/give an update after the event?!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like Vettes did pretty well at this event! anybody care to comment/give an update after the event?!
Is there a link to the results?

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Ultimate Street Car Thunderhill Feb 28th

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Is there a link to the results?
http://driveusca.com/events/

as each event is completed the "sign up" turns into "results"
Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

what configuration did they use?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trackboss
what configuration did they use?
3 mile with bypass. Danny Popp was fastest with a 1:53.xxx next fasted was 1:57.xxx

Quick Reply: Optima Ultimate Street Car Thunderhill Feb 28th