Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR w/Chin 2/28 and 3/1

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
Bummer

VIR track event CANCELLED.

Drivers, VIR sees 8" fresh snow this morning. Continuing cold weather will prevent adequate melt-down before Saturday. VIR management and Chin Motorsports leadership agree that it is not possible to go ahead with the scheduled track event this weekend. We must all suspend our related plans.

Chin Motorsports will offer 100% track fee credit toward ANY future event on our calendar, and we are working with VIR to determine a 'make-up' date. One potential alternate is Mon/Tues, March 16-17. Do you have the calendar flexibility to reschedule for 3/16-17? Please reply to indicate if so. If enough drivers (50+) are interested in those dates, we will put that in motion.
That seems pretty crappy.

If you canceled the event, which is the correct thing to do, your OWE a full refund ... not a damn credit!

IMHO it is foolish to even schedule these events as very best case the weather is too cold.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default read the entire message

Originally Posted by rbl
That seems pretty crappy.

If you canceled the event, which is the correct thing to do, your OWE a full refund ... not a damn credit!

IMHO it is foolish to even schedule these events as very best case the weather is too cold.
The note I got from Chin had 4 paragraphs, not 2, the third read:

"Chin Motorsports offers the largest calendar of track events in the country, and there are 40+ dates ahead in 2015. However, in the rare case that a driver cannot find a suitable make-up date on our calendar, we will offer unconditional refund of your fees paid for this VIR event."

So you can get a full refund.

I can snow in April in Southside Virginia or be hot and dry.

The March 16-17 dates sound good to me, so I hope Chin can work it out. I'll be there if they do.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:16 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
The note I got from Chin had 4 paragraphs, not 2, the third read:

"Chin Motorsports offers the largest calendar of track events in the country, and there are 40+ dates ahead in 2015. However, in the rare case that a driver cannot find a suitable make-up date on our calendar, we will offer unconditional refund of your fees paid for this VIR event."

So you can get a full refund.

I can snow in April in Southside Virginia or be hot and dry.

The March 16-17 dates sound good to me, so I hope Chin can work it out. I'll be there if they do.
Much better ....

April can be a killer for sure
Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

I would speculate that Chin had a tough negotiation with VIR to get to the decision. VIR doesn't like to cancel stuff at all and there have been many events in tough conditions. I think all wisely yielded to conditions. Our streets are clear here, but when a storm tracks as this one did, it leaves a heavy wet snow in the Southside area that will take days to clear off north-facing ground. One inch of the wet stuff weighs what a foot of the fluffy stuff does.

The last thing you would want to see on a track is any kind of snow removal equipment. Scraping that beautiful pavement would be a sin for sure. Also the track edge will be absolutely soggy, so any off-track will be a true "agricultural event".

Personally, I dreaded getting my truck and trailer on the hills around the track and I would bet going through Milton and down those hilly curves to the entrance would be more dicey than a wet track. If they held the event i was planning on going in the "back way", but there are still hills to negotiate that direction on 58.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the track itself. Snow removal by equipment is limited to brush attachements to the front of trucks. No blades, so if the surface moisture is frozen, no way to remove it with brush action. Warmer weather, then traffic on the track. Anyone there last year when the snow came knows the difficulty. I suspect that was the case this past week. On Friday, the track was completely covered and with low temps, improvement will be slow coming. Extended forecast for the area is a guess, but it is winter.
vz
Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
That seems pretty crappy. If you canceled the event, which is the correct thing to do, your OWE a full refund ... not a damn credit! IMHO it is foolish to even schedule these events as very best case the weather is too cold.
Sorry I didn't post the whole email. I figured if you signed up you saw the whole email.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello Chin Motorsports driver. Thanks for your patience and flexibility with the snowed-out/rescheduled track event. Your entry has been reconfigured to the new date, and you are confirmed for Mon/Tues 3/16-17 at VIR with Chin Motorsports. Obviously, we will have a low car count relative to the originally scheduled event. We ask everyone to please pass the word widely, post on your favorite forums/websites/Facebook page that you are doing this VIR event. Thanks. We look forward to seeing you at the track.

LATE-BREAKING EVENT: VIR, Mon/Tues, March 16-17

Quick Reply: VIR w/Chin 2/28 and 3/1