Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM VIR registration appears to be open

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Just registered and am very excited for the event. First one with NCM, and first HPDE after being without an HPDE car for a couple of years.

At the risk of sounding like "that guy" (because I'm really really not), will NCM switch change your run group at the event if your on-track capabilities demonstrate the appropriate abilities? This ties in well with the run group thread that has been active here as well. The NCM runs differently than I've seen with their 4 groups instead of the 3 I'm used to.

I have a ton to learn, and want to keep learning as best and safely as possible. I just don't want the learning to be stunted if there is always a car train. I respect the organizers decisions, whatever they may be. That said, i may have self-selected a different group if it were left to me.

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure I'll have a great time and learn no matter what.
Your questions beg for a lot of questions and need for info i.e. meaning how much time at VIR, Will you have an assigned instructor, overall experience, etc, etc. If you are a hot shoe, no doubt you will be noticed and moved as necessary. Two day event, so most important, run and enjoy your time there.
See you at the track.
vz
Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by von zoom
Your questions beg for a lot of questions and need for info i.e. meaning how much time at VIR, Will you have an assigned instructor, overall experience, etc, etc. If you are a hot shoe, no doubt you will be noticed and moved as necessary. Two day event, so most important, run and enjoy your time there.
See you at the track.
vz
Thanks for the reply. I feel better knowing I'll be moved if need be. I left out all of the details intentionally, as I did not want to make this a question of my qualifications or to question the organizer’s decision, but merely wanted to know if I would have an opportunity to move up if I demonstrated the appropriate skill.

That said, I’m happy to share the details if anyone wants to comment on if I should just not worry about it, or if my learning might really be impeded. IF not, stop reading, and save yourself the boredom.

Items going against me for this time out:
• First time in this car for me
• First time running this circuit (although I’ve done some moderate speed parade laps, so I’ve seen the line which isn’t worth much after the warm up lap)
• HPDE experience was over a long time period, so I was not consistently doing them

My experience:
• Significant autocross experience (although all 10 or more years old). SCAA South Jersey Regional ESP Champion for 2 years (although that has more to do with my region being slow than my driving ability. After moving to a different, more competitive region, I was probably closer to mid pack). This alone is not relevant for HPDE run group determination, but if I'm making my case that I understand the novice things, I figured I'dlist.
• 7-8 HPDES over last 17 years (I may have listed only 6 on my entry form).
• Signed off for solo at VIR North with NASA a number of years ago (did not go solo, requested additional instruction)
• Told to move up to intermediate next time out at my last event.
• 5 Chump Car/Lemons events, probably a total of about 20-25 hours of seat time. This by itself means nothing, as any breathing thing was a driver’s license can enter, and good driving isn’t necessarily a requirement. That said, that is a lot of HPDEs worth of seat time, and I’ve learned to be aware in the car of other cars, flagging stations, track debris, as well as better experience car control and finding the right driving line, passing off the line, and yielding to faster cars.

I grabbed a 10 minute clip from one of the Chump events (and I have another event since then). There is plenty to critique here, by no means am I ready for an advanced group, and I’m not claiming this video shows how great of a driver I am, because it won’t. It’s about an hour into the session, so I’m getting comfortable with the track, but also a bit lazy with hand positioning and such. But it hopefully shows general awareness, and understanding of the situation. Even pointed to a local yellow for the guy behind me about to pass. Feel free to have a look (although cut me a tiny bit of slack for being on worn street tires):

So, based upon all of this, I would have self-selected the yellow group. After watching on track videos from previous years, I probably would feel ok in the Blue group if that is where someone put me, but wouldn’t put myself there if it was up to me, particularly with all the downsides listed above. I got put into Green. I remember my first time out, trying to remember the line, the next turn, remember where to shift, having to think about the mirrors, etc…. While I still have a lot more to learn, I’m definitely not that person anymore and much of that is more natural, and worry about being stuck behind a whole group of people that were how I used to be.

Again, I’m sure I’ll have fun and learn no matter what. But it is two days off of work and a chunk of cash, so I’d like to maximize both. Maybe the green group doesn't have many first timers...
Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Great video. I doubt you will have any problem with any instructor (if you have one) after track fam moving you up or into any group which will afford you the track room you wish to have.
You will not need to slow down for me, as when I see you coming you will get a point by - no need to lift
Look for me in the paddock, red 2010 Z06 nbr 911
vz
Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by von zoom
Thanks for the info. Great video. I doubt you will have any problem with any instructor (if you have one) after track fam moving you up or into any group which will afford you the track room you wish to have.
You will not need to slow down for me, as when I see you coming you will get a point by - no need to lift
Look for me in the paddock, red 2010 Z06 nbr 911
vz
Doc,
I may be late. Save me a slot near you.

Jim
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I'll be there instructing as well. To move up, you need to know the line, flags and corner worker stations.
For me, I look to see how well you work with traffic and how you handle yourself. Part of that is maturity-see a train,go through the pits and get some room. For more advanced drivers, working off line through all corners.
I really wish NCM would have a skidpad session. You can learn so much about car control from that.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Doc,
I may be late. Save me a slot near you.

Jim

Will do. Should not be a problem as I am running Tarheel on Friday, Sat, Sun. Will be near our normal location.
vz
Old 05-21-2015, 04:20 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

KNS will once again be at the event and raffling off a full car set of rotors from Disc Brake Australia and an axle set of brake pads from Carbotech.

We will bring as many goodies as we can.

-Ken
Old 05-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Madkarter
Advanced

I was thinking about going. But was told that there are no passingers allowed in any of the groups.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Madkarter
I was thinking about going. But was told that there are no passingers allowed in any of the groups.
Not true, instructors can take passengers in any run group. Also, you can sign up to drive your daily driver for "parade laps" during the lunch hour both days.

BTW, the NCM still needs a few instructors for the event,
Old 06-02-2015, 04:46 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know of a place to get tires changed at the event? Is there any tire service at the track?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by r1owner
Anyone know of a place to get tires changed at the event? Is there any tire service at the track?
You might want to ask TMI. I know they can perform repairs on site at their shop but I have no idea if they could mount tires.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
You might want to ask TMI. I know they can perform repairs on site at their shop but I have no idea if they could mount tires.
Sidebar: Poor-sha are you bringing your z06 back out for the event?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, both TMI and Sassco (Spelling) will change tires and both are located just outside the main gate in the VIR business park. Sassco is less expensive but may now be open depending on their racing schedule.
TMI is generally open if there is an event at VIR.

Jim
Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 AM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Yes, both TMI and Sassco (Spelling) will change tires and both are located just outside the main gate in the VIR business park. Sassco is less expensive but may now be open depending on their racing schedule.
TMI is generally open if there is an event at VIR.

Jim
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
Sidebar: Poor-sha are you bringing your z06 back out for the event?
I'll be bringing the C7 Z06.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:26 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll be bringing the C7 Z06.
<--- Kool I'll be there in my Grand Sport. I read your VIR thread in the C7 Z06 section and interested if the new pads help with you fade this time around. Take care, and see you in the paddock.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Trackside delivery available.

If you want something special let us know in advance.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM VIR registration appears to be open

Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi gang,

I will be sending out Student/Instructor pairings this weekend! Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Mike
Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Hi gang,

I will be sending out Student/Instructor pairings this weekend! Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Mike
Nice! Thanks for all the behind the scenes work everyone does to make this event happen!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Instructor/Student pairings have been emailed!

Nice! Thanks for all the behind the scenes work everyone does to make this event happen!

Quick Reply: NCM VIR registration appears to be open