Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prevent sliding around in stock c5z seats??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:54 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default How to prevent sliding around in stock c5z seats??

I thought I remember reading on here someone suggested sitting on some kind of pad? I know the stock seats suck but is there some kind of thin antislip pad you guys suggest I buy for track days (until I pony up and buy aftermarket seats)??

Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 02:02 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

A real lap belt setup helps (I can do those and mounts if you like). But a cheap thing that helps.... as dumb as it sound is toolbox draw liner.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Are you using cinch mode? That will keep your butt planted but will not stop your legs and upper body from moving. To use cinch mode properly you need to run the seat all the way back, sit down and pull the lap belt all the way to the end of its travel. That puts it in cinch mode, then fasten the belt and ratchet it down as far as you can get it with your hands. Get as much as you can in the take up reel. Once that is done run the seat forward until you feel like the lap belt is going to cut you in half. When you have it adjusted correctly the shoulder belt inertia reel will lock the shoulder belt almost as soon as you move the car a little quickly. I have a tendency to hold my breath when running an autocross and with the belt fitted correctly I would have trouble breathing when I finished a run since the shoulder belt wouldn't let my chest expand enough. If you don't get the belt that tight you aren't doing it correctly or wimping out when the lap belt starts to give you some pain across the pelvis.

That will give you about as much support as a 6 point belt will. Full race harnesses don't work all that well with the stock seat since the seat provides no lateral support for the upper body or the legs.

Some people use a product called angel wings. You sit on it and it has two pads that come up around your hips and legs and provides some lateral support to the lower body.

Bill
Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you using cinch mode?
I used to do that in the GTO. It works surprisingly well. It gets more effective as you get hot, sweaty and sticky!

I tried one of those "CG Lock" thingies, but it only works on the lap belt and doesn't restrain the upper body.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:17 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Cheap but effective method -- go to the big box hardware and get some rubber kitchen shelf matting. It's about 1/8" thick waffle style rubber matt. Cut a section large enough to sit on and hang slightly over the side of the seat. Very sticky non skid stuff, it will NOT hurt the seats at all. Use this stuff with the "cinch" method and your butt will stay planted.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default How to prevent sliding around in stock c5z seats??

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I thought I remember reading on here someone suggested sitting on some kind of pad? I know the stock seats suck but is there some kind of thin antislip pad you guys suggest I buy for track days (until I pony up and buy aftermarket seats)??

Thanks
The correct, and most efficient way is to buy RACE seats!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A real lap belt setup helps (I can do those and mounts if you like). But a cheap thing that helps.... as dumb as it sound is toolbox draw liner.
Thank you! that's what I was trying to remember. I will pick some up at Lowes.

BTW - I bought my Koni yellow/strano springs off you for my '00 z28. I still have the car but I bought a c5z last year. Thanks for your help when I was doing my '00 z28 suspension.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you using cinch mode? That will keep your butt planted but will not stop your legs and upper body from moving. To use cinch mode properly you need to run the seat all the way back, sit down and pull the lap belt all the way to the end of its travel. That puts it in cinch mode, then fasten the belt and ratchet it down as far as you can get it with your hands. Get as much as you can in the take up reel. Once that is done run the seat forward until you feel like the lap belt is going to cut you in half. When you have it adjusted correctly the shoulder belt inertia reel will lock the shoulder belt almost as soon as you move the car a little quickly. I have a tendency to hold my breath when running an autocross and with the belt fitted correctly I would have trouble breathing when I finished a run since the shoulder belt wouldn't let my chest expand enough. If you don't get the belt that tight you aren't doing it correctly or wimping out when the lap belt starts to give you some pain across the pelvis.

That will give you about as much support as a 6 point belt will. Full race harnesses don't work all that well with the stock seat since the seat provides no lateral support for the upper body or the legs.

Some people use a product called angel wings. You sit on it and it has two pads that come up around your hips and legs and provides some lateral support to the lower body.

Bill
Thanks Bill - yeah I was going to use cinch mode (I read a post you wrote in a thread a couple years back about using it). Thanks for the info
Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried the free seat mod I accidentally came up with? There is a post with instructions and photos on another forum. Google "Z06 seat mod". Its the first link that pops up, on Z06vette.

Dog
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

At the track, I've used the toolbox drawer liner stuff on the seat pad and that did help some. Its cheap and easy:

After a while I picked up a set of Angel Pads and those made a significant improvement:

I hated my OEM C5Z seats. I never found them comfortable even for long highway drives, which was a bummer for me having owned a couple of C4's previously (I always liked the C4 seats), and they flat stunk for track use. So, in the end I went to a different seat, but for the money the Angel Pads are hard to beat IMHO if you want to stick with the stock seats in a C5.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a set of Angel pads for sale if your interested.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:01 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Angel Pad in my C6 with Stock seats. I'm a big guy and I haven't found a competition seat that I can get into and out of comfortably not to mention sit in for all season street use. I have enough "fun" changing wheels and pads before (and after) each track event, so I won't be swapping seats... So far the Angel Pad is a big improvement for me in my situation. I guess a set of (expensive) "Race Seats" from that Carravaglio, but that's not in the cards right now either... Just my ten cents.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
At the track, I've used the toolbox drawer liner stuff on the seat pad and that did help some. Its cheap and easy:

+1. Super cheap and simple. Technically it's not SCCA legal, but it works. Saving for a real race seat though is worth it.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:30 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I used the cinch mode on the lap belt paired with me sitting on a piece of tooldrawer liner. I'm a pretty light guy so I didn't have much of a problem with this setup honestly.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
+1. Super cheap and simple. Technically it's not SCCA legal, but it works. Saving for a real race seat though is worth it.
I think it's legal although a bit of a grey area maybe. It's not a modification to the seat and I could wear pants made of something similar or with that glued to them.

Also to the OP, I use a chest strap for support along with the stock belt lock others have mentioned. It helps quite a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To How to prevent sliding around in stock c5z seats??

Quick Reply: How to prevent sliding around in stock c5z seats??