Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when a car hits a wall at 120 mph

Old 02-14-2015, 05:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default when a car hits a wall at 120 mph

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ll-at-120-mph/

Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
This clip should required viewing at every HPDE classroom session
Old 02-14-2015, 08:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Real World........................head-on at 60 to 70mph (each car).
Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
This clip should required viewing at every HPDE classroom session
What would be the practical value of that and what does it have to do with HPDE -- nothing.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Z

One error, hitting a stationary wall at 120 is not like 2 ars each doing 120 hitting head on.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
What would be the practical value of that and what does it have to do with HPDE -- nothing.
Besides the fact that most tracks are surrounded by concrete walls?
Tire walls are there for a reason
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Besides the fact that most tracks are surrounded by concrete walls?
Tire walls are there for a reason
The ocean is full of water too ... so what.

What tire walls in the video?

You think that watching crash videos will benefit people at HPDE events? If true, then they should not be there or the event should be canceled.

Or, that hitting a wall at "high speed" may occur at an HPDE so folks should drive very slow to avoid it?

Ridiclous, IMHO
Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in with Brian and PaConehead--not sure that viewing the video will help anyone but it may, and it's not going to hurt anyone to watch it.

Last edited by fcarga; 02-18-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: left a word out
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
I was only thinking that students could benefit from a reminder of what happens when a moving object hits an immovable object (wall, Armco, tree, etc.). We all have had the know-it-all student who doesn't appreciate the potential of a high speed crash.

I lost a very good friend this passed summer when his novice HPDE student spun and struck a tree. I'm sorry if you don't see the connection to HPDE. I won't be debating this any farther.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

I was only thinking that students could benefit from a reminder of what happens when a moving object hits an immovable object (wall, Armco, tree, etc.). We all have had the know-it-all student who doesn't appreciate the potential of a high speed crash.

I lost a very good friend this passed summer when his novice HPDE student spun and struck a tree. I'm sorry if you don't see the connection to HPDE. I won't be debating this any farther.
I am sorry for your loss.

If it's where I am thinking that was at a **** track with no runoff areas and no thought at all for participant safety. Did it ever cross their mind to have an inside wall as it's not uncommon to spin to the inside?? Guess not. Shouldn't have happened that way IMO.

The wall smashing video thing though like posted here. Let's pray that doesn't ever happen to any of us. I don't even like to think about it let alone watch a video of it.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 PM
doclex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with your way of thinking. Many new owners of high performance cars are novices, i.e. they also think you can push these cars around on public highways the way they did at the HPDE course they attended. This crash at 120 mph is simply two cars meeting head on, each doing only 60 mph. In the past 5 years I seen several such events before my very eyes on 4-lane highways and news reported a killing single-car accident close to home just two weeks ago when a new-car owner put his Vette into a tree on a 2-lane road.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a little reality check is a very good idea. There are images of guys walking away from 200mph wrecks on TV every week. The flip side of that coin needs to be looked at as well. What happens to a production chassis in a bad one? There are a couple hundred guys that run on tracks each week with world class safety. On track as well as engineered in to the cars. The rest of us, We better keep it real and watch out for ourselves and each other. If something happens to most of us, our cars aint all that. And there will not be 5 trucks and 20 trained personnel around us in seconds. Racing is dangerous. It kills and maims even at the highest levels. The vast majority of us dont compete at the highest levels so we choose to mitigate the danger at varying levels. If the head is in the sand the other end is....

Get notified of new replies

To when a car hits a wall at 120 mph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when a car hits a wall at 120 mph