Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for Base C6 Owner

Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need advice for Base C6 Owner

Just completed my second AX event with a Base C6 (6.2-NM6) with factory tires and I must say... This car is extremely hard to drive. With competition mode on, the tires are worthless. The rear tires spin easily in second gear with any addition of throttle, and the front end scrubs a lot. The car transfers weight way to much, which makes things very unpredictable. I could learn to drive this car more in its current state but its like trying to tame a while horse.

So...

I've come up with an order of precedence of modification (Tires, Z51 F spring, Z51 bars, Bilstien Sports) to make this car more drivable but Id like to stay in the AS class. In my region there are plenty of Z51s and GSs which makes the base car out classed. The rule book states you can swap parts to match a package (Z51) but my year didn't come with a Z51 option. Making my car a GS is simply not feasible. So I cant change the front spring. Even if I could do the Z51 conversion, I don't want to swap transmissions.

So am I toast or has anyone had success keeping a Base C6 competitive in AS?

(I feel like buying a base C6 was a mistake... I couldn't afford a GS and I was into autocross before I got the C6)

Last edited by SnipeUout; 02-18-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 02-16-2015, 05:10 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You can change the tires, add the spring and bars and shocks and not be concerned that you aren't 100% legal. Protests are up to your competitors and at the local level very few care. Actually, no one cares unless you are beating them barring the occasional jerk. Get into aligning your car to suit your driving. You can do a lot with what you have.

Learning to drive what you have is much better than throwing money at it. Make friends with a faster driver or two (or three) and have them run your car. If they're faster, well ... get more seat time.

Personally, I leave the nannies off -- especially for autox. Depending on what you're used to, the C6 can be a huge change.

--Dan
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

The region I run is pretty hardcore. I got hardcore chewed out for having my wife in the car. Regardless if I beat a GS or Z06 and the guy calls ******** what are they going to do start to tear my car apart? Start to measure the thickness of my leaf spring and bars... LOL

Honestly I hate cheating..... I want to do it legally.

I thought about buying some used rims and putting some good 200 treadwear tires on and just run them at the events.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a trailer hitch on the car, and tow your sticky tires to the track with a tire trailer.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try the car with decent tires, a good alignment, and a larger front bar. I just ran my first event in a (new to me) C5Z and I thought it was a complete pussycat. Easy to drive, very controllable/forgiving... basically the opposite of what you describe.

Have you reached out to Sam Strano and gotten any feedback from him on your situation?
Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

-I'm not putting a hitch on the car. Plus I don't want to change tires at the track.

-Sticky tires (below 200 wear rating) will put me in another class which the base car has no chance in while being stock.

-A C5Z has a great suspension setup out the box. The FE1 suspension can barely muster a low .9 g on the skid pad. Its an old mans highway cruiser.

-No I have not contacted Sam Strano. Forgive me for not knowing but who is Sam Strano?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SnipeUout
-I'm not putting a hitch on the car. Plus I don't want to change tires at the track.

-Sticky tires (below 200 wear rating) will put me in another class which the base car has no chance in while being stock.

-A C5Z has a great suspension setup out the box. The FE1 suspension can barely muster a low .9 g on the skid pad. Its an old mans highway cruiser.

-No I have not contacted Sam Strano. Forgive me for not knowing but who is Sam Strano?
FWIW, agreed on the hassle of tire swaps and transport.

I won't profess to know the tweaks in bar/spring rate between the chassis but there's a fair amount that you can do and stay AS legal. The front bar should make the car easier to balance as well improve turn-in. Depending on where you are with the alignment, there's a lot of potential improvement there via ride height, camber, and toe. That's all without looking at how good/bad your current tires may be...

Sam is one of the "go to" guys for setting up autoX Corvettes and Mustangs. Super bright guy who's got the experience and knowledge to shorten your ramp up time. He owns http://www.stranoparts.com/ and has a rep for only selling stuff that will have a positive impact on your car's performance. I'm hoping for a chance to work with him at the Evo school before the Dixie Tour next month.

Christian
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi, I'm Sam (more about me in my sig.).

You can't legally convert to Z51 springs and all unless you run the shorter gearing too. That said, a front bar and a set of shocks would do you wonders + alignment, the right tires, etc.

But no to the Bilstein's. You want adjustable shocks, shocks you use to help dial in the car. You will want more rebound control than they have, even more so because you are missing spring rate. I have everything you need, we can discuss what items might suit you best.

I think it's going to be one of my 35mm hollow front bars here with a set of either Koni's or the Fox/Ridetech's (both rebound adjustable). Yes the shocks cost more than the Bilstein's, but you also can't/aren't buying Z51 springs or the Z51 rear bar either so you have the funds freed up, and the result will be a better driving car.

I'm happy to help, feel free to call and we can discuss options. I need to check out some spring/bar rates before I decide on which bar I'd recommend for sure though. We use different bars on different cars. Most commonly the 33mm #8472 bar I make, but for instance Grand Sports want/need more bar than that, but Z06's and Z51's don't. GS's get a solid 35mm bar. Your car, honestly isn't one I've messed with much in terms of setup.

I have hollow 33.3mm, can do a solid, but it's close to the hollow 35mm I can do, and have the solid one too (I think this would be too much for your base rear bar/spring we have to think about balance).

Anyway, can help... just call me
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice for Base C6 Owner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice for Base C6 Owner