Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 track day catch can???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C7 track day catch can???

Any one using their C7 with the Z51 option for track days using a catch can? What brand and model are you using and how is it working for you? Appreciate any info any one can give me--Thank You for your time!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenutchas
Any one using their C7 with the Z51 option for track days using a catch can? What brand and model are you using and how is it working for you? Appreciate any info any one can give me--Thank You for your time!
If you don't have a catch can on your C7 - get one. The new 6.2 is a direct inject engine and therefore has no fuel going through the intake manifold to wash the back of the valves. 6.2s with only 3K on them are already oiling their throttle bodies and intakes, at 15K deposits are starting build on the valve bodies, and after the deposits start the rate of deposit increases. This problem isn't 6.2 specific, all direct inject engines suffer from this and need catch cans.
(OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now. )

I've had/have Elite, Moroso, Nick Norris, RX, JEGs, and a few other catch cans over the years. My current favorite is the ADD 1W Version 2 catch can. It comes with both 3/8"(9mm) and 5/8(15mm) hose fittings, a plug or a breather filter so you can run either an open or closed system, a double perforated media can that can be run empty or filled with the media of your choice, and a dip stick for easily checking the oil level. It comes in several colors and costs $85.

Have fun, see you at the track.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 AM
firefighting101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last C5
If you don't have a catch can on your C7 - get one. The new 6.2 is a direct inject engine and therefore has no fuel going through the intake manifold to wash the back of the valves. 6.2s with only 3K on them are already oiling their throttle bodies and intakes, at 15K deposits are starting build on the valve bodies, and after the deposits start the rate of deposit increases. This problem isn't 6.2 specific, all direct inject engines suffer from this and need catch cans.

I've had/have Elite, Moroso, Nick Norris, RX, JEGs, and a few other catch cans over the years. My current favorite is the ADD 1W Version 2 catch can. It comes with both 3/8"(9mm) and 5/8(15mm) hose fittings, a plug or a breather filter so you can run either an open or closed system, a double perforated media can that can be run empty or filled with the media of your choice, and a dip stick for easily checking the oil level. It comes in several colors and costs $85.

That seems like a really good suggestion. I'm looking into these ADD W1 Ver 2's. Much better than cheaper garbage I was considering.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 AM
sromley
Advanced

What does a catch can do?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

In older cars the crankcase vapors were vented to a breather on the valve cover and the vapors then went into the air. The pollution ***** decided this would ruin the planet so newer cars vent the crankcase vapors back into the intake system to be burned again. This leaves you with an oily intake and reduced octane. The catch can is installed between the crankcase outlet and the intake inlet and catches the oil from the crankcase leaving only clean air to go into your intake. You have to empty the catch can occasionally and then you know how much oil would have gone into your motor.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 PM
firefighting101
Instructor

In older cars the crankcase vapors were vented to a breather on the valve cover and the vapors then went into the air. The pollution ***** decided this would ruin the planet so newer cars vent the crankcase vapors back into the intake system to be burned again. This leaves you with an oily intake and reduced octane. The catch can is installed between the crankcase outlet and the intake inlet and catches the oil from the crankcase leaving only clean air to go into your intake. You have to empty the catch can occasionally and then you know how much oil would have gone into your motor.

That was an effective and concise explanation.

I want to add the ADD W1 Ver 2 with Breather. Does anyone know if or where this will fit on a C7 base automatic?

I might just order and hope for the best. Not sure if this will fit. The listing on eBay states:

ADD W1 Ver.2 BILLET ALUMINUM- Black ( Sandblast Black )
Universal oil catch tank Made out of T6061 Aircraft Lightweight
Ver.2 Closed loop system and Breather system
Internal baffle DUAL chamber filter Catch
9mm & 15mm Fitting / Blue Breather Filter / size 4.25" high ( with breather 6.5" high ) x 2.25" diameter
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Oil Catch can catch the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine.
All oil vapor expelled by your turbo charged motor before it can harm your cars performance
keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions
The catch can will keep out the Dirt And Oil Get Inside Your Engine from your intake system
Increases horsepower and Prolongs your engine life Includes Hoses, Clamps and Mount bracket
Installation instruction also included in the package
Money Back Guarantee (does not include shipping)
Made by aluminum, light weight, long lasting.
now selling wholesale to the public.
Item Retails For Up To $189 .00ea why pay more when you DON'T HAVE TO!
100% Brand New, Ready to Ship

PACKAGE INCLUDE:
1x Oil Catch Tank
2x 9mm fitting
2x 15mm fitting
1x 15mm hose
1x Breather filter
Necessary Bracket & Screws
Limited Lifetime Warranty

ADD W1 has long been known for developing some of the industry s most innovative products.
From the dress-up products used on show winning cars to the performance products utilized
on some of the fastest cars on the strip, it is clear what precedent we have set for ourselves and others in the specialty aftermarket. No matter whether your needs are performance or styling oriented, ADD can provide the parts needed to add power maximum visual impact!

We can't fit all the models in the compatibility list. However it's Universal Oil Catch Tank
COMING IN 9MM and 15MM fitting will work with any car

Don't Take a Chance with Anything Else, Get This High Quality Product
Satisfaction guaranteed!
Full protection. Money back guarantee!
~DO NOT HESITATE!! BUY NOW!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So a question on this. Advantage to using the breather vs. no breather? Which is better, and why?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
So a question on this. Advantage to using the breather vs. no breather? Which is better, and why?
Don't bother with a breather. Just plug the hole.

The breather would hinder the ability to pull crankcase vapors from the crankcase. Essentially, a breather on a catch can is a vacuum leak due to it's position in-line with the PCV system.

Plugging the hole allows the PCV system to pull a vacuum in the crankcase (as it's designed to). There is a "fresh air" line that comes off the intake tract and goes into the valve covers/valley. The air that is pulled from the crankcase is refreshed by this line.

The only appropriate place for a breather would be a valve cover. This would take the place of the fresh air line on the intake tract. However, this is already built into the engine and doesn't need to be changed. Breathers were acceptable when cars had carburetors. We've evolved past that point. Any engine designed in the last 30 years doesn't need one.

Get the catch can, plug the breather hole if it has one.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
Don't bother with a breather. Just plug the hole.

The breather would hinder the ability to pull crankcase vapors from the crankcase. Essentially, a breather on a catch can is a vacuum leak due to it's position in-line with the PCV system.

Plugging the hole allows the PCV system to pull a vacuum in the crankcase (as it's designed to). There is a "fresh air" line that comes off the intake tract and goes into the valve covers/valley. The air that is pulled from the crankcase is refreshed by this line.

The only appropriate place for a breather would be a valve cover. This would take the place of the fresh air line on the intake tract. However, this is already built into the engine and doesn't need to be changed. Breathers were acceptable when cars had carburetors. We've evolved past that point. Any engine designed in the last 30 years doesn't need one.

Get the catch can, plug the breather hole if it has one.
Breathers are normally used on competition engines and forced induction motors. Reasonably stock LS engines use closed systems.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 track day catch can???

Quick Reply: C7 track day catch can???