Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok to run this pad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 04:13 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ok to run this pad?

Hawk DTC 60 and it's the trailing edge where the corner broke off. OK to run this or no?

Thanks,
Tim
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How thick are the pads? If less than the thickness of the backing plate, I would just change them out. It isn't worth the headache worrying about your brakes while out on the track.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Default Ok to run this pad?

solid point...I just put them on to bed some new rotors and forgot about the "long pedal" that seems to come along with thin pads. I will switch to new ones before my event. Does this happen on occasion or do I need to figure out what caused the pad to break apart at the edge? Thaks y'all !

Tim
Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm sure you have some taper wear, it's something those 2 piston calipers do. If you look at the pad from the side they will be worn at an angle, and my guess is the cracked one was the outer pad, the one with the missing corner was the inner (and that end was as the top).

Do you know where the pads were on the car, and which end was "up"? Based off that we can figure out how usable they might be, but you might also consider it time to step up to a better caliper in front to even the wear up.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:05 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a set of DTC-60s do the same thing. But they were pretty thin when it happened, not much left on the most tapered parts.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm sure you have some taper wear, it's something those 2 piston calipers do. If you look at the pad from the side they will be worn at an angle, and my guess is the cracked one was the outer pad, the one with the missing corner was the inner (and that end was as the top).

Do you know where the pads were on the car, and which end was "up"? Based off that we can figure out how usable they might be, but you might also consider it time to step up to a better caliper in front to even the wear up.
Thanks for offering to do an autopsy ! Here's my notes on these in their current state:

They have three days at road atlanta plus the ride to and from the track (I guess that's immaterial but it totals 350 interstate type miles). I swapped sides after the the first day. So the last two days, this set and photo is from the passenger side use. The one with the missing corner was on the outside and the corner is the trailing edge. Here are the measurements I took including the backing plate (my new ones measure 14.4mm with a 5.5mm backing plate)

Passenger:
Outer pad (missing corner) @ middle of pad
Top - 9.73mm
Botom - 10.16mm

Inner Pad the (the one with a crack but no missing material)
Top 10.21mm
Bottom - 9.93mm

Just for completeness:
Driver Side (no photo and I didn't notice any damage)
Outer pad @ middle
Top - 10.25mm
Bottom - 10.68

Inner Pad
Top - 10.51
Bottom - 10.45

Can't wait for the analysis, thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ok to run this pad?

Quick Reply: Ok to run this pad?