Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Recorder: 2015 Thoughts

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 PM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Data Recorder: 2015 Thoughts

Hey Everyone,

I have noticed a lot of the data recorder stuff is quite old. With software coming out for all of these electronics, I wanted to ask what I should do for HPDE's moving forward?

Here is what I have:
-an iPhone 6
-a GoPro Hero 3
-a C5 Z06
-Eye of Mine video sunglasses (http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.co...iew_s/1885.htm)

A note on the sunglasses - I actually find them to be the easiest thing ever. When they are on, they are recording, off no recording. The GoPro can be a PITA (just reformatted my card because it always shut off). If you can't tell by now I am no production assistant.

What I am looking for:
-Dual video (optional but it would be cool because I have iPhone and GoPro)
-Accurate Track location - this is obvious, however, I believe Harry's Lap Timer requires a solid cell signal. Reception isn't always great at the track so I need something to actually be accurate
-Oil temp, throttle monitor (I know it doesn't do brake monitoring which makes me furious), RPM would all be nice
-Essentially I want to see where I am awdful and try and learn the most from my recordings. THE EASIER THE BETTER. Often times it can be very frustrating strapping into a 5 point and then realizing you have twelve cameras with batteries that are all dying etc. etc.

Questions:
-For the current Harry's Lap timer, do I need an OBDII connection via Wifi? If so, what is this product and where can I buy?
-Does this OBDII connection include the GPS thing that people are talking about (due to poor cell signal/triangulation)?
-How expensive is this going to be? I am an amateur, I am serious about improving and want accurate devices but am not going into professional racing so to the tenth of a second would be nice.

Guys, I have searched, I just feel there hasn't been a lot of updates in 2014/2015 on this topic. Please help! I hate renting transponders and would love to have video I can digest and learn from afterwards!

All the best,

Matt
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Easy and cost are inversely proportional.... I was using a RaceChrono to collect data and used video from a Contour+. Everything worked fine but it was impossible to get the data perfectly lined up... And it was a pain to deal with batteries and charging. I recently switched to a Smartycam HD GP tied to an AIm Pista dash. This set up is great... It turns on and off by itself, it is powered by the car so I don't have to deal with batteries,... And best of all, the data is automatically integrated with the Video and it is lined up perfectly every time.

Charley
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 PM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Easy and cost are inversely proportional.... I was using a RaceChrono to collect data and used video from a Contour+. Everything worked fine but it was impossible to get the data perfectly lined up... And it was a pain to deal with batteries and charging. I recently switched to a Smartycam HD GP tied to an AIm Pista dash. This set up is great... It turns on and off by itself, it is powered by the car so I don't have to deal with batteries,... And best of all, the data is automatically integrated with the Video and it is lined up perfectly every time.

Charley
Thanks Charley. You definitely have a point there. Is it minimally intrusive during non track events? Or easy in easy out?

Charley - did some research. This is quite the setup, as in $$$$. Any recommendations in the $$$ range?

Last edited by muskamatt; 02-24-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by muskamatt
Thanks Charley. You definitely have a point there. Is it minimally intrusive during non track events? Or easy in easy out?

Charley - did some research. This is quite the setup, as in $$$$. Any recommendations in the $$$ range?
My car is a dedicated track car so it isn't a problem for me. You might want to check out the Smarty cam HD (it is a little cheaper than the HD GP) and you can hook it up to an Aim Solo. There are others on here that can tell you about the Solo. You can wire this setup to the lighter for Power...But I am not sure how much data you can get from a C5 other that track location, speed, and G's.

Charley
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
My car is a dedicated track car so it isn't a problem for me. You might want to check out the Smarty cam HD (it is a little cheaper than the HD GP) and you can hook it up to an Aim Solo. There are others on here that can tell you about the Solo. You can wire this setup to the lighter for Power...But I am not sure how much data you can get from a C5 other that track location, speed, and G's.

Charley
It hooks up with the Solo DL, not just a Solo unfortunately as I've learned.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Harrys works with a wifi newer go pro, a number of friends use it for getting pedal shots or something silly and PiP-ing it with the track video. My gopro is an original hero as once i learned of harrys i saw no use for it anymore. This was back in the 3gs days. Now the on board sensors are SOOOOO much better on the phones that all you need is a obd sensor. I have the bluetooth one and it works, they did a bunch of patching last year cause you would have to replug every thing every session, but it seems to be mostly sorted out now and works pretty well. You can setup harrys to trigger your gopro and use bluetooth for throttle and rpm. There is a higher package of harrys than i have, as i bought it long ago, the newer one has more obd guages, my friend gets a bunch of gauge options for his brz but i have no idea if we get access too oil temp specifically.

Harrys really is pretty easy and more than accurate enough for me. I have 10hz gps and the blue tooth obd sensor. A real system has 20-50hz gps, but honestly 10 is more than enough.

Only thing you need cell for is downloading the tracks with harrys. Just do it from home before you leave.

All this info is on their web page. they tell you exactly what gps to buy and what obd to buy if you want it. I think with a mount i put maybe $400 into it over 4 years. So its in no way impactful and gets you decent video with minimal fuss.

You will NEED a car charger to run while you are recording, it sucks batteries like nuts! For the $30ish bucks for the app and $100 for obd bluetooth, you get the majority of the functionality of in car recording and telemetry for less than the cost of a gopro, it is a no brainer imo. If money isn't relivant there are better options but its awesome vs just a gopro, which is pretty much valueless once you start taking telemetry into account.

Last edited by Socko; 02-25-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

PM sent.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:29 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muskamatt
Questions:
-For the current Harry's Lap timer, do I need an OBDII connection via Wifi? If so, what is this product and where can I buy?
-Does this OBDII connection include the GPS thing that people are talking about (due to poor cell signal/triangulation)?
-How expensive is this going to be? I am an amateur, I am serious about improving and want accurate devices but am not going into professional racing so to the tenth of a second would be nice.
If you want ODB2, dump your iPhone, the bluetooth stack on the iPhone is not compatible with anything (like anything Apple does) and will require you to go through Wifi (which means no GoPro, only 1 Wifi device at a time).
Get a cheap Android tablet with RaceChrono, you will save time and money plus it's going to be easier. RaceChrono Pro can now directly overlay data from the car on the video recorded by the phone/tablet. You can still import external files from the GoPro but it's not going to be straightforward.
If you want an accurate GPS, you need to get an external Bluetooth GPS (there is no GPS info through OBD2, it's just engine data such as rpm, speed and temps). And even with a 10Hz GPS, you will have some lag. The accuracy of the GPS depends on the location, the satellite signal itself is not very accurate, it is refined with terrestrial radio signals. If there is no radio tower near your track, the GPS data will be inaccurate. Even with good accuracy, the GPS data always lags compared to engine data. It is sometimes interesting to compare GPS speed vs ODB2 speed to see if you have wheel spin (unlikely to be seen at the track but helpful for ice racing or rallycross).
For the costs, count $100 for the tablet and app. About $80 for an external GPS and less than $10 for a bluetooth ODB2. You can find some links on my page here: http://www.frogracing.us/technology/telemetry
Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have the scratch, and want a fully featured system, try this:

http://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/inde...ideo-vbox-lite

I have been using it for four years, and it is amazing!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

C7 system works great!

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Data Recorder: 2015 Thoughts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Data Recorder: 2015 Thoughts