Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque mount ? to do or not to do with trans brace ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
MJs1fastSS
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default torque mount ? to do or not to do with trans brace ?

Im looking for real world experience please.

Looking to see what guys opinion and feel from seat time if a torque mount is worth the money on a c5 when already having a trans brace installed. The pros and cons please im looking into the hpe and their torque mount is 365 plus shipping right now.

When a car is a weekend worrior 2-3 spirted auto-x a year and 5-10 trips to the drag strip in this upcoming year all for fun. . Id rather the car turn and have fun on twisty roads than anything.

My frc has bilstein sports, c6 z51 front and rear sways and will be installing an ecs trans brace within the next week. Just simple street car upgrades for myself no coilovers or radical auto x set ups here.

Any help is appreciated for those that have a trans braces, torque mounts or both. Thanks michael
Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a pic of this tq mount?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM
MJs1fastSS
Burning Brakes

Top picture

Im going with the ecs trans brace as its looks to be better quaility than the above brace
Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

IMO you don't need either for the use you describe. As for drag start, dumping the clutch is not the quick way to launch, look up Ranger on this forum & his web site describes how to launch, he has thousands of passes.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both. The two products are engineered for different purposes: the first trans brace in your picture helps control wheel hop (lateral flex) whereas the second minimizes lineal flex. Here's a good thread on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ans-brace.html

From a solutions-based point of view, adding the second isn't a waste of money since the two designs serve different purposes. From a practical point of view, I don't think either are needed for the uses you describe at stock power levels with street tires. There is no improvement to feel or performance unless you are already experiencing the above-mentioned issues.

(That's not to say you shouldn't use them if you have a heavily modified car; I just put these under the 'safety & reliability' category, not the 'performance & road feel' category.)

From a personal point of view, I installed them because my drivetrain was already out so it was minimal work, I was adding horsepower & stickier tires, I needed to add weight for my class (centerline-rear axle is a pretty good spot), and extra reinforcement adds peace of mind.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 PM
MJs1fastSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FuriousDonuts
I have both. The two products are engineered for different purposes: the first trans brace in your picture helps control wheel hop (lateral flex) whereas the second minimizes lineal flex. Here's a good thread on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ans-brace.html

From a solutions-based point of view, adding the second isn't a waste of money since the two designs serve different purposes. From a practical point of view, I don't think either are needed for the uses you describe at stock power levels with street tires. There is no improvement to feel or performance unless you are already experiencing the above-mentioned issues.

(That's not to say you shouldn't use them if you have a heavily modified car; I just put these under the 'safety & reliability' category, not the 'performance & road feel' category.)

From a personal point of view, I installed them because my drivetrain was already out so it was minimal work, I was adding horsepower & stickier tires, I needed to add weight for my class (centerline-rear axle is a pretty good spot), and extra reinforcement adds peace of mind.
Thank you for that . Yeah the car is sub 700 rwhp on a max effort blower cam from martin @tick on the stock shortblock with a d1sc. Heads and intake with full exhaust. I did have wheel hop but was on a 315/35/20 rear now going to 315/30/18s all around with falken 615k tires so just those tires are a huge improvement over the nitto invos which i will probably never invest in again. so by just downsizing tire size i believe will take care of that. And yes thinking of beefing up the rear support. I might just take the dive and grab that torque mount as a precaution

Get notified of new replies

To torque mount ? to do or not to do with trans brace ?

Quick Reply: torque mount ? to do or not to do with trans brace ?