Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nola

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Nola

Who has been to NOLA? Is there really just 1 CW track configuration? Any gottchas or is the track really as easy and flat as it looks on YouTube?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just at NOLA with Chin Motorsports the weekend before last. They have a couple of (CW) track configurations, including the new IndyCar setup that replaces the esses on the back stretch with a straight. I think most groups run the standard 2.75-mile configuration.

Like you, I was concerned before visiting that the track would be easy and flat (read: boring), but I enjoyed it. The track has a nice rhythm and flow to it. What you might not get from YouTube videos is just how uneven the pavement is on the front straight, particularly in the braking zone leading up to turn 1. Cars were bouncing all over the place, and I found that I had to really brake early for that one.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:08 PM
csamsh
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The flat is really the trickiest thing. You MUST memorize the track or you'll have no idea where you're going. Other than that, it's a pretty great and even surface, and beautiful facilities. Too bad they got rid of the food!!!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:31 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

any tips for the esses? My car likes aiming at the escape lanes on throttle but i have to feather back power or I would be in the escape lane. Feathering power then makes my rear loose. Making a mistake entering too fast results in more coasting and that is even more loose and thus slower.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:23 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I have many laps there, nothing easy about being fast on that track. Here is a vid.

A few things I figured out.

I don't brake for 8, I coast. Look at my line entering the esses, I catch a lot of cars in there. On the inside of 9 your LF tire should touch the the end of the inside rumble strip. If you look closely you can see where the grass is dead there. When your car is done rotating for 11 you should be on the floor in 4th gear.

Turn 16 turn in when the cone is in your door if you are fast, if not wait till the rear bumper...or somewhere in between. Stay off the rumble strip s at exit of1, 5 and 16, they tear up ****....VERY rough if you are on them a bunch.

Turn 3 and 4 is difficult to figure out and 13 WILL bite you, take is slow till you figure it out, you have to bleed a lot of speed at 13 and it will sneak up on you.

Turn 3 is similar to Barber's turn 5, turn in a tad early, get right up next to the apex and hold the wheel where it is, maybe even open it a little as the track will come back to you.

I am in 3rd gear from turns 1-6, I go to 4th right before turn 7 and stay in 4th until turn 13, then I stay in 3rd until the front stretch.

No brakes at turns 7-12 and 15.

Any questions lemme know.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-07-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the help. I got to race it today in a T2 c5z got to 1:59 on old tires with the 5pm Sun to obscure T1 apex. There are another 3 sec in there with new tires and even more time with more tracktime and fully optimized car. What a fun track. It is a jewel in Louisiana.

Get notified of new replies

To Nola

Quick Reply: Nola