Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deland, FL 22 March

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:12 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The St Augustine event is free to spectate.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Every autocross event I've been to is free to watch. You do need to sign a waiver. Many autocrosses you can even ride along with a driver to get a feel for it
Old 03-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Every autocross event I've been to is free to watch. You do need to sign a waiver. Many autocrosses you can even ride along with a driver to get a feel for it
Yeah, I think that may be my next step...attend a few of these and get to know some folks, buy a helmet and try to get some rides!
Thanks!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Yeah, I think that may be my next step...attend a few of these and get to know some folks, buy a helmet and try to get some rides!
Thanks!
It's a blast! Bring your car out and give it a shot. Here is a video of a couple of my runs today. Second in novice class, but I lost to a Mini Cooper JCW

Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Originally Posted by slickstick
It's a blast! Bring your car out and give it a shot. Here is a video of a couple of my runs today. Second in novice class, but I lost to a Mini Cooper JCW

2005 Corvette First Autocross Deland, FL - YouTube
That looked like a ton of fun. Loved the comment about the wipers in the video!!!!
You made it look pretty smooth for your first time!
I went to the St. Augustine event and watched. Had a great time and learned a few things as well. No passengers were allowed at this event, so, I'll have to find an event that will allow and I can learn a bit more. I have a few things I need to take card of on the car, and get a helmet, but, I think I'm gonna give this a try. Looks like a blast!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looked like a ton of fun. Loved the comment about the wipers in the video!!!!
You made it look pretty smooth for your first time!
I went to the St. Augustine event and watched. Had a great time and learned a few things as well. No passengers were allowed at this event, so, I'll have to find an event that will allow and I can learn a bit more. I have a few things I need to take card of on the car, and get a helmet, but, I think I'm gonna give this a try. Looks like a blast!
All of the SCCA hosted events typically allow passengers. NFCA (for whatever insurance reasons) frowns on passengers though they'll occasionally allow them. The next SCCA Jax event is being held at the Gainesville Raceway road course on 4/19. Unless something comes up, I'll be there with my AS C5Z and I suspect that Brian may bring out his monster SSP car. You're welcome to some rides in my car if you'd like.

<--- was in bed sick all weekend and missed both the NFCA and Jax SCCA events.

Christian

PS
The SCCA events have loaner helmets available and I *think* NFCA has a couple as well.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:54 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Xian
All of the SCCA hosted events typically allow passengers. NFCA (for whatever insurance reasons) frowns on passengers though they'll occasionally allow them. The next SCCA Jax event is being held at the Gainesville Raceway road course on 4/19. Unless something comes up, I'll be there with my AS C5Z and I suspect that Brian may bring out his monster SSP car. You're welcome to some rides in my car if you'd like.

<--- was in bed sick all weekend and missed both the NFCA and Jax SCCA events.

Christian

PS
The SCCA events have loaner helmets available and I *think* NFCA has a couple as well.
NFCA has 2 or so loaner helmets... No passengers due to their insurance regs. SCCA, I have people ask for ride alongs all the time... I usually only do the road course tracks anymore (Gainesville and Daytona though) with SCCA

And its SSM Xian ... the beast can't be any other class, even if stock (other than CAM, lol)

If you have never autox'd before and just want to try it, the NFCA and the SCCA Gainesville events are a great start as there are very few cones to worry about, its generally a keep it on the pavement and you'll be ok style course

Coincidentally, the NFCA event is Saturday april 18, and the SCCA gainesville event is Sunday the 19th...

I have some scheduling conflicts I am trying to work through Xian so I can do both...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Slick, You did well... Don't worry about the wipers, we've all been there! and cones are part of the game...

Not so pro tip- get the car into second gear quick, and generally leave it there. There should be enough grunt to throw you around most courses without worrying about the shifting until you get comfortable, and you probably won't redline out of second unless you run that NFCA course, LOL
Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Xian
Racer

NFCA has 2 or so loaner helmets... No passengers due to their insurance regs. SCCA, I have people ask for ride alongs all the time... I usually only do the road course tracks anymore (Gainesville and Daytona though) with SCCA

And its SSM Xian ... the beast can't be any other class, even if stock (other than CAM, lol)

If you have never autox'd before and just want to try it, the NFCA and the SCCA Gainesville events are a great start as there are very few cones to worry about, its generally a keep it on the pavement and you'll be ok style course

Coincidentally, the NFCA event is Saturday april 18, and the SCCA gainesville event is Sunday the 19th...

I have some scheduling conflicts I am trying to work through Xian so I can do both...
SSP, SSM... they're practically the same, right?

Oh, interesting side note on the CAM thing... IIRC, Corvette's have (rightfully) been booted from CAM eligibility. It was simply too easy for a C5+ Vette to come in and kill the class.

Ah, didn't realize that it was another back to back event setup. That makes it a little bit of a PITA but at least the NFCA events wrap up pretty early. I'll cross my fingers that I can pull off both of them too!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 AM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not so pro tip- get the car into second gear quick, and generally leave it there. There should be enough grunt to throw you around most courses without worrying about the shifting until you get comfortable, and you probably won't redline out of second unless you run that NFCA course, LOL
Do ZR1's and C6z06 have the same gearing? I tried using second on Saturday and it was a doggg getting on the straights. Easier to control in the turns though.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Thanks Xian and UrbanKnight for that input, and, for the offers to ride along!!
I have to admit that one of the things that always makes me nervous about trying this is the cones!! I don't worry too much about hitting them (although I'd prefer not to!!) it's the thought of going to the wrong side!!! How embarrassing!! Watching the YouTube videos I find it challenging to always catch which way the car should go. The pace is pretty fast, and, sadly, I'm getting slower with age!!
I hope to see you guys at one of the next 2 events.
I really liked the St. Augustine track since there's not much to worry about as far as cones!! I just worry about getting out of whack and ending up in the marsh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Originally Posted by flyby763
Do ZR1's and C6z06 have the same gearing? I tried using second on Saturday and it was a doggg getting on the straights. Easier to control in the turns though.
No, they don't, but similar. For NFCA, I use 1st the entire course until the drag strip. On my grand sport, I shifted to second off of the line and used it the whole course. For the C5, it should be similar to the GS power wise, when you are now, the less you have to do, the better.

I have to admit that one of the things that always makes me nervous about trying this is the cones!! I don't worry too much about hitting them (although I'd prefer not to!!) it's the thought of going to the wrong side!!! How embarrassing!! Watching the YouTube videos I find it challenging to always catch which way the car should go. The pace is pretty fast, and, sadly, I'm getting slower with age!!
I really liked the St. Augustine track since there's not much to worry about as far as cones!! I just worry about getting out of whack and ending up in the marsh!!!!!!!!!!!!
We've only pulled 1 or 2 cars out of the marsh in the past two years that I saw... I had to be pulled once on a rainy day as I slid off and couldn't get any traction on slicks to get back out... Very few folks go far enough off to get into trouble. Not saying you can't, but it doesn't happen often...

As for the wrong direction- I still get lost on occasion, especially at the Orange county convetion center when its a sea of cones.....
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost everyone makes a wrong turn every once in awhile and has an off course, but not to worry, there's usually ample run-off. Also, the videos a lot of people post on youtube make it seem harder to see cones and other distant objects than in real life. Also, you can walk the course before the event starts, so you can try to become familiar with it before you get out there, so that every corner isn't a surprise.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Xian
Racer

Happy to offer. Getting in the passenger seat will help you get a feel for the course. If you're not opposed, I'd also suggest getting an "instructor" to take you for a run in your car so you can get an idea of where the actual limits are.

The "sea of cones" phenomenon is going to be somewhat dependent on the site (like UrbanKnight referenced) as well as the course designer. I saw video from the Amelia Island event yesterday and though it was a pretty decent course but the designer used about a million more cones than I would have. Parking lots (like OCCC) tend to be harder for novices to read whereas runways and road course events are easier to drive.

I've seen cars go off at St Augustine but they're few and far between. Unless there's been a bunch of rain recently, there's actually some dry land between the asphalt and the marsh... not a lot but enough to keep most folks dry.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Wow - very nice job!!

If anybody can make it out to Daytona on Thurs or Fri April 9-10, I should be able to take you out to have a look at an HPDE type track event. It's free to drive into the track to spectate (tell them your on Corvette Bob's pit crew and sign the waiver at Gate 40 off Williamson Blvd, about 1/4 mile south of Int'l Spdwy Blvd). Then you drive under the track through the Turn 1 tunnel and into the infield. Drive into the NASCAR garage area and wander around looking at all the exotic cars, and somewhere in one of the garages you'll find my Cyber Gray ZR1.

Most HPDEs you can ride with an instructor. At this event I think any driver can take a passenger, but I believe they charge $20 for a wristband that shows you signed the on-track waiver and are approved to ride.

I've got an extra helmet.

The HPDE type events (High Performance Driving Events, or Driver Education events) are a totally different type of event from the Autocross format.
First of all - there's no competition involved. Many of the events frown on timing, but many allow Go-Pros, and you can certainly time yourself with any type of video cam in your car while on the track. And watching your performance can improve it for future runs.

Second - multiple cars on the track. However, passing is only allowed in designated passing zones and only with a "point-by" from the car you're overtaking. There are generally different run groups (novice, intermediate, advanced, instructors) so novice track drivers will be out with other novices, etc.

Third - they're high speed. They're run on roadcourse tracks (the Rolex 24 course at Daytona), so the speeds are a lot higher than at an AutoX event. But, you only go as fast as you and your car care to go. If you're in the novice run group you can expect slower cars on the track with you. When you're experienced enough for the advanced run group be ready to rock&roll!!

Fourth - you get a lot more track time. Most HPDEs run 20 to 30 minute sessions. Most have 4 sessions per day. The event April 9-10 has five 30 minute sessions, so if you register to run the event you'll get about 2-1/2 hours of track time per day (you can run one or both days).

Fifth - they're much more expensive to run than an AutoX, and Daytona is the most expensive of all!! You can run at most tracks for around $250 to $300 per day, but Daytona is about twice that. It costs the sponsoring organization a lot to rent the track with all the corner workers, emergency track personnel, etc.

Sixth - many events with novice drivers will have classroom instruction, and you will have an instructor in your car with you until he is sure that you handle the car well, know "the line" around the track, know the track protocol (flags, passing zones, etc.), and feels comfortable that you can go solo.
So...if you just want to take a look at an HPDE type track event and can make it out to Daytona, look me up in the paddock/garage area.

Hope to c'ya at the track!!

Bob

Quick Reply: Deland, FL 22 March