Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deland, FL 22 March

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Deland, FL 22 March

Anybody interested in coming out? This will be my first time ever giving Autox a try, so I can pretty much guarantee you won't be in last place
Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a haul but I'll be at the Bucc Region event the same day if you want to cruise up north. I'll be there early doing course setup and running my C5Z in AS. I haven't run at the Deland site in ages. Is it still at the community college?

Alternately, there's a North Florida Corvete Assoc event in 3/21 in St Augustine. Typically 12 runs and done by 2pm.

Christian

Edit:
I was thinking of Palm Bay @ the Community College... though I haven't run the Deland airport in ages either.

Last edited by Xian; 03-04-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Who's organizing it?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Anybody interested in coming out? This will be my first time ever giving Autox a try, so I can pretty much guarantee you won't be in last place
And after you have fun there, about 2-1/2 weeks later you can come on over to Daytona and run the Rolex 24 roadcourse!!!

Here's some info about the event in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...il-9-10-a.html

This event is novice friendly, and all you need is a Snell SA2005 or SA2010 helmet.

Hope to c'ya at the track!!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by flyby763
Who's organizing it?
St Augustine event info:
http://www.ncccsouth.com/FL-292-001.pdf
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by raff
Yep, that's the St Augustine one. They run a smooth and fun event. The course is more along the lines of a 90* turn, sweepers, a hair pin, and then a medium length straight. It's not a "technical" sort of course but is great for getting used to autoX since it's held on a driver training course vs. the proverbial "sea of cones" you get in a parking lot. That you also get ~10-12 runs, no work assignment, and are out the door early is also a big advantage.

Here's a link to the Bucc Region event list:

http://www.buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html

They run at the Amelia Island Airport. Given the site, it's normally a transition focused course with offset gates, a slalom, and maybe a cross-over sweeper. Most of the time myself and/or one other guy do the course design... we try and focus on fast and flowing and avoid the pinched/horrible courses that I've seen on occasion. We typically do 6 runs, a "run and work" setup, and we're done by 3 or 4pm depending on the size of the turnout.

Here's some video from our last event:

I'm planning to be at the Bucc Region event for sure and maybe the Vette Club one.

Christian
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew that. My wife is the VP the club that puts on the event in St Augustine.

I was asking for does the event in Deland?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Xian
Racer

I knew that. My wife is the VP the club that puts on the event in St Augustine.

I was asking for does the event in Deland?
Looks like SCCA CFR Region:

http://cfrsolo2.com/schedule2015.php
Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
And after you have fun there, about 2-1/2 weeks later you can come on over to Daytona and run the Rolex 24 roadcourse!!!

Here's some info about the event in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...il-9-10-a.html

This event is novice friendly, and all you need is a Snell SA2005 or SA2010 helmet.

Hope to c'ya at the track!!
Awesome, sounds good to me. Will a motorcycle helmet pass the requirements? I seem to find conflicting information.

Edit - Answered my own question:

No M-Class helmets will be allowed, no exceptions.
Sounds like I need to buy another helmet

Last edited by slickstick; 03-04-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Who's organizing it?
Central Florida SCCA

http://cfrsolo2.com
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xian
Yep, that's the St Augustine one. They run a smooth and fun event. The course is more along the lines of a 90* turn, sweepers, a hair pin, and then a medium length straight. It's not a "technical" sort of course but is great for getting used to autoX since it's held on a driver training course vs. the proverbial "sea of cones" you get in a parking lot. That you also get ~10-12 runs, no work assignment, and are out the door early is also a big advantage.

Here's a link to the Bucc Region event list:

http://www.buccaneerregion.com/soloevents.html

They run at the Amelia Island Airport. Given the site, it's normally a transition focused course with offset gates, a slalom, and maybe a cross-over sweeper. Most of the time myself and/or one other guy do the course design... we try and focus on fast and flowing and avoid the pinched/horrible courses that I've seen on occasion. We typically do 6 runs, a "run and work" setup, and we're done by 3 or 4pm depending on the size of the turnout.

Here's some video from our last event:

Bucc Full Screen *corrected - YouTube

I'm planning to be at the Bucc Region event for sure and maybe the Vette Club one.

Christian
That looks like a fun course to me... What mode do you guys usually run in? All the nannies off? I've got a 2005 so I only have the basic modes, no PTM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Awesome, sounds good to me. Will a motorcycle helmet pass the requirements? I seem to find conflicting information.

Edit - Answered my own question:

Sounds like I need to buy another helmet
Yes - you need a Snell certified helmet: SA2005 or SA2010.

Snell does certifications every 5 years and will come out with the SA2015 certifications later in the year.

Here's a link to a good price ($170) on a very nice full face helmet - I have the Zamp 2005 and a 2010. Of course a helmet is only as good as it fits!

http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing...-racing-helmet
Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Xian
Racer

That looks like a fun course to me... What mode do you guys usually run in? All the nannies off? I've got a 2005 so I only have the basic modes, no PTM.
Thanks! Yeah, we try to set up fun courses with what we've got space wise.

I run with everything off. The car seems super easy to drive so I haven't seen any particular need to try Active Handling.

Christian
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, wish I could make that event in St. Augustine.

I've done one autox with CFR SCCA in Geneva, off of gun range road. Great site and a lot of fun but I think we only got 3 runs each.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
Dang, wish I could make that event in St. Augustine.

I've done one autox with CFR SCCA in Geneva, off of gun range road. Great site and a lot of fun but I think we only got 3 runs each.
If you can get up for it, they run a smooth event that wraps up early. I'd like to get out to it but I'll be at the Dixie Tour the entire weekend before so 2 complete weekends in a row isn't super kind to my wife.

How many runs, course design, total event time, etc. can be wildly different depending on what part of the SCCA is hosting the event. I ran a couple CFR events at the Orlando Convention Center last year and they were well executed but were typically 4 runs due to the large # of entrants. They did a good job with course design (especially given the lot size) but it's a longer drive than I'm typically willing to do with 4 runs. The flipside is a place like Dixie Region (Adel, GA) that will get South GA Motorsports Park as a site sometimes. I did a Feb event with them that was super fun... 8 runs and on the road home by 4pm even accounting for awards at the end of the day.

Here's the video from the Dixie event.

Basically, I'm saying that I wouldn't discount all of SCCA based on one mediocre experience. It's worth asking around and trying out some other areas if you're interested.

I'm also looking at maybe hitting an event with Florida Corvette Racing Club later this year at Brookesville. The site looks pretty big and it's concrete which is a plus:

http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com/index.php
Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yes - you need a Snell certified helmet: SA2005 or SA2010.

Snell does certifications every 5 years and will come out with the SA2015 certifications later in the year.

Here's a link to a good price ($170) on a very nice full face helmet - I have the Zamp 2005 and a 2010. Of course a helmet is only as good as it fits!

http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing...-racing-helmet
Thanks for the info... I just placed an order for the next one up, the RZ-55. E-mailed customer service, hopefully it can get here before the weekend
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Slick,
You can autocross with a "M" helmet, but you can't HPDE in them generally.

I've run the Dirtland event a few times (it is very dirty/dusty there...)...

I usually run the NCCC event in St augustine as they are a great group, and easy.. as everyone said, 12 runs, done aroudn lunchtime, no work assignment. However, there is a subaru sponsored open track day at the FIRM on Saturday for $50,,, so I may be swayed...

Get notified of new replies

To Deland, FL 22 March

Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I know here in the Southeast HOD has rental helmets available - perhaps the north guys do the same thing?
In case the helmet doesn't make it in time.
HOD is a good group to run with, I instruct for the southeast folks as often as I can.

For your event do the following:
Listen to your instructor and attempt to follow their instruction as best you can. Thats all we ask! You'll have a safe and fun weekend!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I'd like to try autocross. Used to go watch them a bunch when I was younger, but, never participated.
Are most, all, any of these events free for observers??
I'd like to watch a few of these before jumping in!!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:52 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeister
I think I'd like to try autocross. Used to go watch them a bunch when I was younger, but, never participated.
Are most, all, any of these events free for observers??
I'd like to watch a few of these before jumping in!!
I've never tried just spectating, but I'm pretty sure it's free at all events. You could also try volunteering and working at the event. I'm sure you would have to sign a waiver, but I would imagine it would be free.

Quick Reply: Deland, FL 22 March