Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace one hub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Replace one hub?

A little advice from you folks????
I've got a bearing/hub going on my GS. Since the price is almost the same I was thinking of going with an SKF instead of OEM. Problem is, the brochure description of the SKF makes me think this hub is soooo good, so stiff, that it would unbalance the feel of the car.

My budget really doesn't allow for replacing all four right now.

Am I overthinking this?

I'm about a 7 on a scale of 10 as an HPDE driver (if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I've got a bearing/hub going on my GS. Since the price is almost the same I was thinking of going with an SKF instead of OEM. Problem is, the brochure description of the SKF makes me think this hub is soooo good, so stiff, that it would unbalance the feel of the car.

Am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you are over thinking, you won't feel and the car won't know the difference between an in spec oem and a new in spec skf.

They are not built to space shuttle tolerance no matter what the mfg/vendor might want you to believe.

I did exactly the same on my c5z, watch my video if you would like to see it with your own eyes.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Yes you are over thinking, you won't feel and the car won't know the difference between an in spec oem and a new in spec skf.

They are not built to space shuttle tolerance no matter what the mfg/vendor might want you to believe.

I did exactly the same on my c5z, watch my video if you would like to see it with your own eyes.

Hear hear. I replaced my four hubs over the last 2 years with SKFs. Just through them in as the OE hubs went bad. Only went with the SKFs in the hopes they would last longer. We'll see what happens - my mechanic is telling me one of mine is a little sticky. I wait til they start to rumble then I replace them.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance.
The good SKF bearings are closer to twice the cost of OEM. I bought an AC Delco for $210 and the cheapest SKF I've seen is $380. Not that you can't get a better deal but make sure you know which SKF you're buying.

FWIW, I had two OEM bearings go out within a couple of weeks and decided at that time to replace all four with the much better SKF bearings.

--Dan
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the skf race bearings on all 4 corners, and love them. we noticed a bit of an improvement in steering response and brake knock back, over stock but the big issue was we were killing a new stock bearing on the front in one weekend with 315 r6's and t1 bars... so if it was me I would put them on in pairs as $ allowed We have raced 2 years 16 events on SKF race bearings with no issues including a hard meeting with the wall at WGI I broke a tie rod but the bearing is still fine after 4 more events.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Get the SKF especially if you are using R comp tires. Try Rock Auto Parts.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:01 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
The good SKF bearings are closer to twice the cost of OEM. I bought an AC Delco for $210 and the cheapest SKF I've seen is $380. Not that you can't get a better deal but make sure you know which SKF you're buying.

FWIW, I had two OEM bearings go out within a couple of weeks and decided at that time to replace all four with the much better SKF bearings.

--Dan
The oems are $176 front and $143 rear from autozone... the manufacturer is Timken

Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 AM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
Get the SKF especially if you are using R comp tires. Try Rock Auto Parts.
Holy moly - $305!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...BSeal%2BSKF&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=vn71es0u6g35g9trhmvlfm4lq5
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by flash911
Holy moly - $305!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...BSeal%2BSKF&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=vn71es0u6g35g9trhmvlfm4lq5
That is original not SKF
Phonix has them for up to 2008 for $350
the wheel sensors changed in 2009 so the fronts may be different
I know the rears are (more expensive and don't fit)
That ts 2008 and earlyr rears won't work on 2009 & up
Old 03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance.
Is your B2B warranty still in effect? If so add the GMPP Major Guard 0 deductible warranty and the bearings will be covered. If I find a bad bearing during a pre event inspection I have the dealer change it. I carry a spare to the track in case I need to replace one there but as soon as the track day is done I exchange it for the bad bearing and then have the dealer install a new GM bearing. My spare has been on and off the car a couple of times.

They also cover the tie rod ends, power steering issues, master cylinders and other things that tend to go bad more often when doing track duty. Saves a lot of skinned knuckles and over time saves money.

Bill
Old 03-05-2015, 03:10 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input.
My B2b was 3yr and the drivetrain warranty doesn't cover the hubs apparently.
According to Cultrag my car has the FE5 suspension (like the Z06) so the hub is $397 from them.!!! The SKF looks to be only $360 so it seems like that makes more sense.
I've got a good friend to help with the wrench so if I can do this one at a time I will. That'll save me enough to through in another track weekend before the next hub.....
Thanks again all.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks for all the input.
My B2b was 3yr and the drivetrain warranty doesn't cover the hubs apparently.
According to Cultrag my car has the FE5 suspension (like the Z06) so the hub is $397 from them.!!! The SKF looks to be only $360 so it seems like that makes more sense.
I've got a good friend to help with the wrench so if I can do this one at a time I will. That'll save me enough to through in another track weekend before the next hub.....
Thanks again all.
There are 2 skf hub models a standard one (I use & is excellent) and a race model (for wtw racers who really punish their hubs or for guys who have $$ to burn). The race one IS a stronger design.

The standard should cost 250 ish the race about 350 give/take.

For 360 make sure you are getting the race, if they don't know find a vendor who knows the difference.

I missed the c6 GS part, my bad.

Follow what Anthony said he's the man, not sure why the price would spike up that high from c5 regular to c6 regular unless you are buying from a dealer at retail.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-05-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you have a GS car then you can't run the SKF Race bearing.

Quick break down.

1997-2008 Corvette's use one bearing, 2009-2013 cars use a different. They physically are the same size, just a different wheel speed sensor inside.

SKF does make a race style bearing for the 2009-2013 cars and it is OEM stock for the C6 ZR1. Since that is a OEM part, you have to get that through the dealer...or anyone selling OEM GM parts. I do believe however on the rear bearings the Z06/ZR1 cars use a larger half shaft so that is different for the base cars. GS should use the Z06/ZR1 size if memory serves correctly.

If you want to do just one, for a street car I don't think it would matter much. For track cars we generally do them in pairs unless it was an accident causing the replacement as we do them based on track time on the bearings.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

My local wrench friend also recommended Timken. Guess I'll do more research. $200 is way better than $360 and would prob get me to do both sides at once. I can't find an SKF listing other than the $360 one.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:28 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Am I overthinking this?
Yes, and your better than a 7.

Lue or Anthony did a post on the track time hubs lasted. The SKF sure seem worth the money considering what a PITA they are to replace.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Yes, and your better than a 7.

Lue or Anthony did a post on the track time hubs lasted. The SKF sure seem worth the money considering what a PITA they are to replace.

If your laps are to the golf course, then I guess any of them will do. Otherwise the majority of us on this forum use SKF.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:56 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Ut oh, What to do? I bought a set of A6 Hoosiers on zo6 rear wheels 315s off a friends T2 race car. They feel great on the car, but sounds like I should buy the SKF bearings and at least carry one each as a spare? Went to the above link at Rock Auto, can't find the SKF--is that where they are cheapest? Been running PSII's now afraid to put the Hoosiers on...unexpected big expense!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by apex26
Ut oh, What to do? I bought a set of A6 Hoosiers on zo6 rear wheels 315s off a friends T2 race car. They feel great on the car, but sounds like I should buy the SKF bearings and at least carry one each as a spare? Went to the above link at Rock Auto, can't find the SKF--is that where they are cheapest? Been running PSII's now afraid to put the Hoosiers on...unexpected big expense!
Just replace them as they wear out, the hubs you have now are not going to explode on lap one with a Hoosier tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace one hub?

Quick Reply: Replace one hub?