Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Sport or HD or Koni FSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Bilstein Sport or HD or Koni FSD

Is it okay to run the bilstein sports on stock ride height cars or is hd a better choice? The reason im asking is because many times bilstein sports are designed for lower cars.

Also has anyone tried koni's fsd for track, autocross, or hillclimb? Im interested in the special blowoff valving as the car is being setup for extremely rough surfaces - the concern with these shocks is if theyre too soft in order to cater to cruising rather than performance (koni states that these are not for c6 z06 - likely the rear shocks arent set up stiff enough for the 782 spring ).

btw current spring rates are 531 front 657 rear

Thanks!

Last edited by el es tu; 03-08-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The FSD's are a nice street shock but aren't what you're after if you want a good performing setup for autocross or the track. The Bilstein's are very close in valving to the 2004 Z06 shocks in the front and a bit different in the back, but they are close enough that unless you have a very calibrated bum you wouldn't know the difference.

The Bilstein's are the same length as the stock shocks.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ive heard the bilstein HDs are stock length but the sports are supposed to be shorter... could you clarify which set youre referring to?

Thanks!

Last edited by el es tu; 03-08-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I was asking the same questions as you until I got these. Never looked back and have been happy ever since.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...it-s-back.html
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
ive heard the bilstein HDs are stock length but the sports are supposed to be shorter... could you clarify which set youre referring to?

Thanks!

I'd talk to Rippie, I didn't know there was a difference.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:08 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes the Bilstien sports are mostly for lowered cars. The hd's are oem length and made to remain stock height but they're also a bit softer than the sports.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the Rippie Bilsteins, awesome shocks
Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Or you could get real shocks that allow you to fiddle with the feel, and reaction of the car.

I'd not recommend any of the above, you can do so much better. Koni Sports, Ridetech HQ's but rebound adjustable, both with killer warranties. Yes they cost more than non-adjustable, but they are worth it for someone trying to go fast.

FSD's are not what you want. All shocks unless they really are cheap crap are digressive. I have Ridetech, Koni, Bilstein damping curves all. I have both Ridetech and Koni's on my two cars and I run them, particularly in front at levels far beyond what a Bilstein has to offer. And yes I drive them both on the street. And I live in western PA, where the roads are not glass smooth (we have real winters here, frost heaves galore right now too).

Nobody thinks of this but should. Rebound damping does things like makes the car take a set. Most gearheads, like that to happen pretty quickly. We typically want more rebound damping than the average bear. Rebound damping also controls the roll and pitch rate. Good shocks can slow the roll tremendously at the same time the car changes direction more quickly. Shocks matter, a lot, to get the car to feel and act the way we want. They are very much about feel. Having shocks that you can't do anything with isn't wise. We are different people, we like different things. A tire change can dull the car's reactions, change the turn in balance, etc. Shocks help tune that (as one example).
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Last edited by strano@stranoparts.com; 03-10-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein Sport or HD or Koni FSD

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport or HD or Koni FSD