Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jersey Motorsports Park 3-28/29-2015 First time: Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Jersey Motorsports Park 3-28/29-2015 First time: Help?

Hey all,

So I do a lot of autox. In fact I won the NCCC Northeast region last year in the bone stock c7 z51. I went to ONE hpde last year at pocono, and I'm hookedup.

I signed up for the full weekend at NJMP, and they are apparently running one track the one day, and the other track the other day.

Any input on the track? Pointers? Expectations? I wasnt overly terrible at the HPDE I was at with all of my autox experience, the instructors were helpful, as the lines are different than what I am used to at autox. Is it a faster or slower course? We were flying at pocono, routinely topping out 4th gear!

Here is the event I am doing:
http://www.hookedondriving.com/event...r_FULL_WEEKEND.

Anyone have experience with Hooked on Driving? I spectated at one of their events and they seemed smooth in operation.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go up on youtube and watch videos of Thunderbolt and Lightning - preferably videos with data overlaid.

Once you get cooking you can hit 140 or better on both of those track's front straights. Work up easy though - it's not a race Pocono has longer straights so more time to get to higher speed. At NJMP it will all depend on how you come off the last turn onto the straight.

I have a few vids up there from both tracks - search for account name nuisance2008 on youtube. I'm not the fastest guy (1:32-ish on T-Bolt, 1:15-ish on Lightning) but may help you learn the tracks before getting there.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Are you running the Audi event at Pocono in a couple weeks?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron7700
Anyone have experience with Hooked on Driving? I spectated at one of their events and they seemed smooth in operation.
Hooked on Driving is a great organization to do HPDE's with. I instructed with them at NJMP Lightning last year for a one-day event. Classroom instruction is excellent, lunch provided, relaxed vibe, and a lot of track time.

Being able to run each track throughout the weekend sounds like it will be a valuable experience.

Check tire pressures on the Lightning track. A lot of right turns tends to heat up the front left tire more than the rest.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Check tire pressures on the Lightning track. A lot of right turns tends to heat up the front left tire more than the rest.

Also be cautious going into the left hander under the bridge especially if wearing slicks. Common to go off there with cold right side rubber.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Chris Liou of HOD NE is excellent. Get a ride with him if you can (pro driver). I occasionally instruct for them and really enjoy it. Lightning is relatively short and simple. Turn one (right hander cresting a hill) is a car eater - many a car has ended up in the inside tirewall there, especially in the wet. Thunderbolt is longer and more complex and my favorite of the two (but both are fun). Patience is a virtue in the octopus (you'll see what I mean the first time you drive it).

Wish I was going to be there. You'll have a great time.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been to Lightning about 6 times, T-Bolt only 2. Each time I go, I learn something new, usually several things. Here is the current state of my notes on each:

Lightning
- brake very hard @ end of main straight
- try T1 in 4th gear. After a few times @ the track you'll want to do it in 3rd for a quicker lap but to start, 4th desensitizes the throttle to keep the car better settled
- trail brake T1 after TIP just before #1 brake marker
- may have to balance car with throttle in T1
- get hands (reasonably) straight for T1
- take minimal curbing @ most in T1, too much upsets car when it is @ its lightest
- brush brakes for T2; enter with fright speed
- stay with fright speed entering/thru T2 with maintenance throttle, then brake or use a little trailing brake oversteer to rotate car for T3
- instructors have recommended 1 continuous turn for T2 and T3
- TIP is earlier for T3 than you h/b taking. T.I. earlier + T.O. to mid track; d/n align car straight along RHS after exit of T3
- clip some of the curbing in T3
- TI much earlier for T4 by not going straight betw T3 and T4
- s/n need brakes for T4. If you do, you are going too fast
- GO SLOWER in T4; going too fast and apexing way too late
- taking more curbing even a little more in T4, T7 and the Bowl resulted in faster lap times a/a/r of earlier throttle app
- Quicker hands in T4 probably works better, try it from mid track on entry
- Going straight @ T.I. cone in T5 seems to work better than getting parallel to white line
- brake early (and lightly) to get car balanced for T5 ala T11 @ WGI
- may have to balance car with throttle in T5 just as in T1
- or trail brake T5 followed by maintenance throttle before the top of the hill
- may have to get hands straight for T5
- be smooth w/ SW in T6, long and slow, esp @ TIP
- stay out in T6, it's a long sweeper; apex @ or near end of curbing b4 bridge
- stay @ least 1/2 a car length away from right edge of track @ B.Z. of T7; very bumpy otherwise
- GO SLOWER in T7, exit is key not entry
- Either T.B. T7 more (or try BISL with quick hands and a little power) not a fast sweeper
- if you go off-track maneuver exiting T7, stay off. DO NOT TRY TO GET BACK ON RIGHT AWAY (sit in the grandstand while other groups are on track - you'll see why)
- re-enter only after sufficiently slowed
- stay right cresting the hill after T7 TO
- try lighter and earlier braking for the bowl; banking will slow car some 20 mph
- line slightly less than 1/2 way up the bowl works the best
- turn when track starts downhill/@ 1st site of curbing/ to get to apex @ WOT
- track out after getting back on main straight

T-Bolt
- TIP is just before the end of curbing on the left
- Carry more speed thru T1 = trail brake, ala Big Bend. If on power significantly B4 apex, probably broke too much
- Do not use curbs in T1 - too high
- Apex is ~ 2/3rds of the way around the curbing
- High speed betw T1 and T2 prob not necessary; set up for T2 instead
- Brush brakes for T2 or lift a touch early; plenty of room @ TOP
- Like T1 and T3, TIP for T2 is @ the end of curbing on the left. Aim for left end of tree line
- Use the apex curbing
- T3 is a ***** test. Start slow and work up to it with (a) coast B4 TIP the (b) FBISL and TI w/ modest power on
- Go a little slower in T3 with quicker hands and much later apex
- Many ways to take T4
- try braking lighter and EARLIER for T4
- Do n/h/t hit apex in T4 - move 1 or > car widths out. Get to @ least mid track TOP to set up for T5
- Need patience for T5; it's the 2nd slowest turn on the track
- FBISL and make a decisive turn in
- Work backwards from exit to apex to TIP to straighten this one out
- Late apex to get to WOT as early as possible
- Straight betw 5 and 6 is much larger than one betw 4 and 5 so must max T5
- Go faster in T6; start with slight brake and work up to slight lift
- Go slower in T7 - the sharp right hander before the octopus
- T7 FBISL and make a decisive / fast hand turn in just like T5 and the RHer @ LRP
- Use (+) camber and low curbing @ apex
- Octopus setup = hard on gas in straight line between TIP of 8, apex cone in T8 and grandstand on far side of T9
- hard acceleration along curbing for T9, hard brakes pointing @ grandstand and TI w/ brake will rotate car (this is a blast but not the quickest)
- Hard on brakes B4 T9 cone and turn SW hard to rotate car still on the brake
- Must get car slower here than you think - ridiculously slow turn
- Exit more important than entry for T10
- Tap brakes on entry to 10 to set the front end for turning. Stay out > mid track, wait for reddish curbing @ exit
- Need a very late apex so left @ exit to strighten out T10 to T11a and T11b
- Exit of T10 is uphill
- Do not track out
- Get straight coming out of T10
- Use curbing in 11a and 11b
- lift for turn 12 felt very comfortable; have to work up to slight lift
- Use only 1st level of T12 apex curbing

abbreviations: TIP = turn in point; TO = track out; RHS = right hand side; SW = steering wheel; BZ = brake zone; TB = trail brake; BISL = brake in a straight line
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey all,

So I do a lot of autox. In fact I won the NCCC Northeast region last year in the bone stock c7 z51. I went to ONE hpde last year at pocono, and I'm hookedup.

I signed up for the full weekend at NJMP, and they are apparently running one track the one day, and the other track the other day.

Any input on the track? Pointers? Expectations? I wasnt overly terrible at the HPDE I was at with all of my autox experience, the instructors were helpful, as the lines are different than what I am used to at autox. Is it a faster or slower course? We were flying at pocono, routinely topping out 4th gear!

Here is the event I am doing:
http://www.hookedondriving.com/event...r_FULL_WEEKEND.

Keep same instructor for whole event, sometimes hod just had a pool and they swap around. Work on smoothness not speed. Track is a lot less abrupt inputs than autox
Old 03-17-2015, 08:21 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
Keep same instructor for whole event, sometimes hod just had a pool and they swap around. Work on smoothness not speed. Track is a lot less abrupt inputs than autox
I've never seen a 'pool' approach at HOD NE events. Each instructor is assigned one student to work with the whole event.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Originally Posted by argonaut
I've never seen a 'pool' approach at HOD NE events. Each instructor is assigned one student to work with the whole event.
I've done HOD all over the country, worked with David Ray and partnered with them on a couple NCM events which I created. I've seen assigned instructors and pool instructor approaches at various locations. It depends on the franchise and the current franchisee. Sometimes pool is for Intermediate group and instructors assigned for Beginner students. I've seen several regions change hands several times so my suggestion covered all possibilities.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Baron7700
Racer

I did the audi at pocono last year. Good time.

I'll look into everything you guys mentioned. I have lots of autox seat time, but limited with HPDE. Pocono was fun, looking forward to doing new tracks. Car eaters make me nervous though hah. I often wish I had a slower car to learn with than the c7 z51. I think my skills are better than my confidence, but anyway. I do a lot of kart racing too, but again, not the same.

Any of you guys GOING to the event? I'll be there late friday night.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM
rocsvette
Pro

I did the audi at pocono last year. Good time.

I'll look into everything you guys mentioned. I have lots of autox seat time, but limited with HPDE. Pocono was fun, looking forward to doing new tracks. Car eaters make me nervous though hah. I often wish I had a slower car to learn with than the c7 z51. I think my skills are better than my confidence, but anyway. I do a lot of kart racing too, but again, not the same.

Any of you guys GOING to the event? I'll be there late friday night.
I'm not at this event but I did the Audi Pocono event last year as well as the cumberland valley corvette club 2 days right after the Audi one. I'll be back at pocono this year for the CVCC event. I'm working on an NJ!P event on September for the chip miller foundation.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Baron7700
Racer

Originally Posted by rocsvette
I'm not at this event but I did the Audi Pocono event last year as well as the cumberland valley corvette club 2 days right after the Audi one. I'll be back at pocono this year for the CVCC event. I'm working on an NJ!P event on September for the chip miller foundation.
I did the audi club last year too. Can't do the CVCC thing to much going on, David Walter is a great guy though! (I'm in Tri County Vette)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Are you running the Audi event at Pocono in a couple weeks?
june 13th, 14th the nepascca is having a SCCA regional event at ponoco( it might be the fastest low speed event you will ever do) some regional top corvette/drivers will be there running timed event. it was only $115 for whole weekend last year. they may have a non points event friday like last year( no cones, 5 bucks a run) check out their website, they have one more on the track and one in parking lot this year also. like myself, plan on getting crushed like a bug. this is not a local parking lot event. the girls are very, very fast too!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Jersey Motorsports Park 3-28/29-2015 First time: Help?

Quick Reply: New Jersey Motorsports Park 3-28/29-2015 First time: Help?