Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vir

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:06 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Vir

Any regulars to VIR? I'm going there in a month. What is the best airport to fly in from Los Angeles? Trackside lodging is all gone. Any decent 3 star+ lodging in the area with decent restaurants?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Any regulars to VIR? I'm going there in a month. What is the best airport to fly in from Los Angeles? Trackside lodging is all gone. Any decent 3 star+ lodging in the area with decent restaurants?

Thanks!
Danville Airport is very close to the track but you will probably need to fly in to Greensboro, NC and transfer. Not many 3 star choices. Maybe Courtyard Marriott would be the best around.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't believe there is any commercial air service into the Danville airport.

Plenty of hotels closer to town on hiway 58.

Finding a good restaurant is another issue. I haven't had much luck.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM
SharkBit
Racer

Thanks!
I stay at the Best Western. Decent room and free breakfast!

Im impressed you are coming from LA! I live 5 hours from VIR and people act like its a million miles away. Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Greensboro is a good hike, I'd fly into Raleigh Durham.
What ya gonna drive at VIR? the rental or a car already there?

Are you a Marriott or Hilton kinda guy?
Next to the Courtyard there is a Hampton Inn that I stay at when I go there.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks!
Airport is small business facility. Right across the street is a Sleep Inn that is good, comparable to a Hampton, closest yo the track but not far from restaurants.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
Airport is small business facility. Right across the street is a Sleep Inn that is good, comparable to a Hampton, closest yo the track but not far from restaurants.
I use the Sleep Inn. Prices aren't bad, you get a free breakfast and there is an Italian Restaurant and a McDonalds within walking distance (easier to walk than drive). The group you are going with may have a special rate there. I know the Tarheel Chapter of the BMW CCA has a special rate there for people who attend their HPDEs.

As far as flying from LAX to Greensboro you can't get a direct flight and you will have to rent a car to get to VIR. It is at least an hour drive from Greensbor airport to VIR. You will also have a layover time of some amount at the intermediate airport. You could fly direct into Charlotte, rent the car and drive to VIR from there. Driving time from Charlotte airport to the Sleep in is about 3 hours. Would reduce air fare and eliminate the layover. Travel time would be about the same.

Bill
Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've stayed at the Sleep Inn and Best Western. Both are OK. If you drive to the other side of Danville about 10-15 mins away there are a number of restaurants. Last time my buddies and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings. Not a 5 star but good wings. Nothing really right around the hotels other than what Bill said.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,819 Posts

There's a decent Italian place in Danville, I stopped there one time while travelling for work.

In my experience, flying to any airport other than Charlotte is cheaper airfare. Literally, I've had flights that connect through Charlotte be cheaper than flying right to Charlotte. Greensboro is only about an hour from the track, if you're looking for a "nice" hotel, that's where you'll have to stay.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks for the tips so far. I definitely will look into charlotte. Once I get this settled I will be asking you guys for tips on driving a vette on VIR.

Jaa1992 my car is on tour to cool SCCA majors races around the country. I was at NOLA 2 weeks ago and Vir in April. I'm on a bucket list once in a lifetime trip.

Is there anything for a wife to see around the VIR area or is it reading a book in the paddock while unshowered guys make noise and exhaust fumes?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

You lucky SOB! Have fun out there!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Bob,

Like some of the others, I have run VIR for years and will be there again this weekend racing with NASA.

My wife and I highly prefer the North Paddock Suites over the rooms at the Lodge, but if you cannot stay onsite, then the suggestions given in Danville are your best best. Another option is staying in South Boston. If you wife is attending, look into bed and breakfasts places. We have not stayed at any, but have heard really good things about some of them in and around the area.

As for things for your wife to do, there used to be an onsite "spa".... my impression is that it was a masseuse (sp?) that would give massages and I am not sure what else. There also used to be a pool up behind the Tavern. There are plenty of vantage points for her to watch and roam the grounds. There is a karting track as well as a shooting range. Like most tracks, VIR is in a very rural area and there isn't much to do immediately offgrounds. Call the track and see what they still offer to spouses.

Also, everyone is talking about dining. The single best restaurant in the area is the VIR Oak Tree Tavern. You will do yourself a disservice by not eating there at least once. Get there early, it does not have a lot of room and the regulars know to eat there.]

As for flying into Charlotte, I live just north of Charlotte and I agree on the commute time of 3hrs from the CLT airport to VIR. However, like what someone said, it is often cheaper to have your ending destination somewhere else.

-Kevin
Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just one thing to add to Kevin ' s advice. Make reservations for Oak Tree Tavern.

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Bob,

Like some of the others, I have run VIR for years and will be there again this weekend racing with NASA.

My wife and I highly prefer the North Paddock Suites over the rooms at the Lodge, but if you cannot stay onsite, then the suggestions given in Danville are your best best. Another option is staying in South Boston. If you wife is attending, look into bed and breakfasts places. We have not stayed at any, but have heard really good things about some of them in and around the area.

As for things for your wife to do, there used to be an onsite "spa".... my impression is that it was a masseuse (sp?) that would give massages and I am not sure what else. There also used to be a pool up behind the Tavern. There are plenty of vantage points for her to watch and roam the grounds. There is a karting track as well as a shooting range. Like most tracks, VIR is in a very rural area and there isn't much to do immediately offgrounds. Call the track and see what they still offer to spouses.

Also, everyone is talking about dining. The single best restaurant in the area is the VIR Oak Tree Tavern. You will do yourself a disservice by not eating there at least once. Get there early, it does not have a lot of room and the regulars know to eat there.]

As for flying into Charlotte, I live just north of Charlotte and I agree on the commute time of 3hrs from the CLT airport to VIR. However, like what someone said, it is often cheaper to have your ending destination somewhere else.

-Kevin
Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the tips so far. I definitely will look into charlotte. Once I get this settled I will be asking you guys for tips on driving a vette on VIR.

Jaa1992 my car is on tour to cool SCCA majors races around the country. I was at NOLA 2 weeks ago and Vir in April. I'm on a bucket list once in a lifetime trip.

Is there anything for a wife to see around the VIR area or is it reading a book in the paddock while unshowered guys make noise and exhaust fumes?
Ashville NC is a cool town to wander around in for a day. Its a pretty good haul from VIR, but probably more fun for her. A beach town is probably about the same distance, but a better setting to read than the paddock
Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Beach Cruiser
Instructor

My wife and I are staying at a B&B about 4 miles from the track when we go in May for Hyperfest, I have not stayed there yet so I can't give you reviews but it looks nice and the staff was very friendly when I made a reservation. Here's the link http://www.woodsidehouse.com/ Also I second the Oak Tree Tavern, best food in the area.

Get notified of new replies

To Vir

Quick Reply: Vir