Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light wheels for Autocross??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 PM
DiCi21
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Light wheels for Autocross??

I race a c6 z51 in A-Street with SCCA and have been looking into getting a set of lighter wheels for the car, but I'm having trouble finding anything that it's significantly lighter than stock and won't break the bank.

Anyone have suggestions on light wheels in 18x8.5 and 19x10 sizes?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 AM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiCi21
I race a c6 z51 in A-Street with SCCA and have been looking into getting a set of lighter wheels for the car, but I'm having trouble finding anything that it's significantly lighter than stock and won't break the bank.

Anyone have suggestions on light wheels in 18x8.5 and 19x10 sizes?

Have you looked at the 2008+ Comp Grey Split Spoke OEM base coupe wheel? They are pretty light. If you can find a set, probably the best bang for weight/strength/quality.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 AM
DiCi21
Advanced

I have looked into those but they're only supposed to be about 1lb lighter per corner. I'm currently on the regular 5-spoke.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

GM wheels aren't particularly heavy. We can do custom wheels, but aside from that you won't be gaining much from anything you might generally find. If they were Ford wheels, there is a BIG difference, but GM wheels are pretty light to start with.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
DiCi21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
GM wheels aren't particularly heavy. We can do custom wheels, but aside from that you won't be gaining much from anything you might generally find. If they were Ford wheels, there is a BIG difference, but GM wheels are pretty light to start with.
That's what I'm kind of noticing... I did find wheels for the front wheels that are only 18lbs. They're the O.Z. Alleggerita HLT at around $400 a piece. Only problem is I wouldn't have something to match in the rear.

So I'm thinking my most budget friendly option would be the OZ wheels in front and the OEM split spoke in rear. So id be dropping 4lbs per wheel in front and 1lb per wheel in the rear. My question then would be, if I am dropping the weights more in front than rear would that throw anything off? I've even contemplated getting just the OZ front wheels and keeping what I have in the rear now.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Can't you go to an 18" in the rear and still be legal for AS? That could help shave some weight
Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 PM
DiCi21
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383
Can't you go to an 18" in the rear and still be legal for AS? That could help shave some weight
That's a possibility but I haven't seen many wheels that are much lighter even in 18s but I'll have to dig into it some more. One reason I've been hesitant about going to 18s in the rear is there is a lack of tire choices available wider than a 275. I'm currently running 275 front/305 rear in the Hankook RS3, but there seems to be a lot of people liking the new bridgestone RE-71R. So if I did drop to 18s in the rear that would definitely be what I go with.

Get notified of new replies

To Light wheels for Autocross??

Quick Reply: Light wheels for Autocross??