Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB snell helmet 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 PM
DVRider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTB snell helmet 2010

Looking for someone who does not want their helmet anymore. Need a large, cant seem to find anything I like, thanks.....
Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 PM
BAMAGOLFER
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'10-'11

I believe you can't use these for track events anymore. I think they have to be 2015 specs. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be first time!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I have a Zamp FSA1 (SA2005) and FSA2 (SA2010), and they are great helmets. They also are only $165 from the source below:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...met&sw=Helmets

I have the Zamp closed face, and you can see they have an open-face SA2010 even cheaper:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...tOrder=Default

Your problem is getting the right size - that's just about the most important thing in selecting a helmet. The best thing is to go to somewhere you can try on different helmets to find the one that best fits your head.

Generally sponsoring organizations of track events will require a helmet with the current Snell certification, or one certification period earlier.

Snell does certifications every 5 years. They will do the 2015 certifications later in this year.

Therefore, the newest certification you can buy right now is an SA2010 helmet, and most groups will allow you to use an SA2005 until later this year when the 2015 evaluations are done.

So....don't buy an SA2005 - it will be outdated later this year.

But....an SA2010 will be good for most track day organizations until the 2020 certifications are performed.

Edited: Here's some more info.

Here's an excerpt from Chin Motorsports who is a track day organizing group. This is in their current info about preparing for a track day, and pertains to their helmet requirements, which are essentially identical to most all other groups' requirements:

All track day helmets need to be Snell rated. Motorcycle helmets are also Snell rated, but these have Snell M ratings. These will not get you on tracks at a car track day event. There are differences in design attributes for motorcycle and car helmets. Car helmets need to be fire proof. Motorcycle helmets do not. Car helmets need to withstand different types of impact than motorcycle helmets. The big helmet suppliers are Bell, Arai, Simpson, Zamp, Stilo and G-Force. Find a racing supply shop in town and try some on. They should fit tight; tight enough so that if you grab the front by your mouth and shake it, you can feel your scalp moving with it. The helmet makers and suppliers will sell online. They have measuring procedures and free exchange policies so that you can go through some trial and error if it is not right. My wife bought a G-Force Eliminator online for $250 and it was fine. Since most of us are in closed cars, you can get an open face design. But most seem to get closed helmets. You can leave the visor up when on the track. The Snell ratings are issued every five years but the track day organizers allow you to use helmets that are 10 years old. If you buy one now, get a Snell 2015. There will be a little metallic tag under the padding with a holograph on it. Find it when you get it. When you get to the track and go through technical inspection, you will need to show your Snell tag. Be prepared and get extra cool points. And be less stressed just before your moment of truth.

In that info above, they say to get an SA2015 helmet, however take a look at the info below directly from Snell and you can see they say "SA2015 Certified helmets will not be available for sale until October 1, 2015...":

http://www.smf.org/stds In there under "SA2015 Release Notes" you can read:

The projected timeline for SA2015 is as follows:

· SA2015 Certification testing has already begun.
· SA2015 Certified helmets will not be available for sale until October 1, 2015, when the standard takes effect.

Our advice to Safety Inspectors and Racing Authorities is that they continue to accept helmets in good condition and certified either to the current or immediately previous Snell standard. At this time, SA2010 is the current Snell standard and SA2005 is the immediately previous.

Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn. However, even by this conservative advice, many current SA2010 certified helmets still have years of service in them. Unless a helmet has been damaged, or has five or more years of use, or is no longer accepted by safety inspectors or track authorities, there may be no need to replace it.
Hope that info helps you get a helmet that will work for you!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-23-2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So I have a Zamp FSA2. It has the Orange SA2010 tag in it, but is there a mettalic tag with a Snell Holograph on it buried in the padding somewhere I am missing?

Your quote above from Chin says there should be one in there......
Old 03-24-2015, 10:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
So I have a Zamp FSA2. It has the Orange SA2010 tag in it, but is there a mettalic tag with a Snell Holograph on it buried in the padding somewhere I am missing?

Your quote above from Chin says there should be one in there......
I think the orange sticker you're looking at is the "metallic tag" they're talking about - it has a little bit of "foil" in it.

Here's a picture of the sticker in my FSA1 SA2005 helmet. If your sticker/tag looks like that, then you're good to go!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Thanks. I'll take a look when i get home.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I just took a look in my FSA2 at the SA2010 sticker in it - a picture is below. It doesn't appear to have any "foil/metallic" in it, and I don't see any "holographic" aspect to it. The SA2005 sticker appears to me more like what that Chin document talks about.

However, both of my helmets have passed numerous tech inspections by many different track day groups, so if your sticker looks like the picture of mine below then your helmet will pass anybody's tech:

Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 AM
0SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just leave this here…

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wout-sale.html

-Matt M.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I just took a look in my FSA2 at the SA2010 sticker in it - a picture is below. It doesn't appear to have any "foil/metallic" in it, and I don't see any "holographic" aspect to it. The SA2005 sticker appears to me more like what that Chin document talks about.

However, both of my helmets have passed numerous tech inspections by many different track day groups, so if your sticker looks like the picture of mine below then your helmet will pass anybody's tech:
Yep - thats the sticker! If you look at the bottom of the right side you'll see a sorta hologram. Its an orange "foil'. Looks good to me - you'd get a helmet ok sticker at the events I help with tech inspection.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Thank guys. My "sticker" looks the same.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB snell helmet 2010

Quick Reply: WTB snell helmet 2010