Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out C6 Grand Sport Rotors for event. Should I clean my calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Swapping out C6 Grand Sport Rotors for event. Should I clean my calipers?

Hey guys,

I have a C6 Grand Sport and I have an event next week. This weekend I will be swapping out my worn factory cross-drilled for blanks. So my question is should I clean my brake calipers while I have them off? If so, does anyone have advice of what to use and how to do it?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean just cleaning the dirt off the outside? They're just going to get covered in brake dust during your track day anyway, but it doesn't hurt to clean them off. I've had great luck with simple green degreaser and a scrub brush that is only used for nasty jobs like that.

More importantly, though, you should make sure you bleed your brakes and inspect/replace your pads and brake lines. Sounds like you're on top of it though, if you're replacing rotors. Have fun!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CRC Brake Cleaner
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Careful what brake cleaner. Some will remove lettering.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

DO NOT use brake cleaner on your brakes. C6 GS brakes are the same as the Z06 brakes, and are painted, and if you use brake cleaner on them you will ruin the paint.

Diluted Simple clean or something like that and a rag is the way to go.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Adams wheel cleaner or all purpose cleaner but any mild wheel cleaner or diluted simple green will work fine. Why not keep them clean! That way when you have to work on them you're not breaking through tons of caked on brake dust.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also try to avoid the brake cleaner around painted parts (hence the simple green suggestion). I've heard certain types are rough on paint and I don't want to mess up my caliper paint, or, more importantly, risk a plume of it being blown on to the paint on the body of the car. I'm sure it would be fine, but there's no need to risk it when simple green works great.

The only reason I implied that it's not necessary to clean the calipers is bc the OP was asking advice on if he should clean the calipers, which made it sound like he thought there was some performance or functional benefit to cleaning them. If he was just cleaning them for aesthetics, why would he ask us if he should or not?

Haha everyone (myself included) is over-thinking this issue.

Last edited by miracle_whip4130; 03-26-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I always used brake cleaner. It evaporates so fast, I never had a problem ruining paint.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a ton of brake cleaner on my calipers.. they are (however) powder coated. I've overheated the front enuf at track events last season, to actually cook the powder coating!.. time for a more serious BBK for the front.. thinking AP racing Sprint kit actually..

Brake cleaner shouldn't hurt painted calipers. It evaps really quick and it will help get the gunk out of the crevices with a nylon scrub brush.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping out C6 Grand Sport Rotors for event. Should I clean my calipers?

Quick Reply: Swapping out C6 Grand Sport Rotors for event. Should I clean my calipers?