Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Yokohama AD-08R

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Experience with Yokohama AD-08R

Yes, I know the 200 treadwear thread is now on it's 14th page and I know the Yokohama AD08R is a 180 treadwear rating, but I am not running autoX and am not constricted by a 200 treadwear rating.

Just wondering about the experience with this tire. For me it needs to stay consistent for a number of race track laps (my personal experience is that both RS3s and Rivals fall off fairly quickly when warm and I suspect the Rival S and Bridgestone RE-71Rs will do the same) so maybe the older tech Yok is more consistent if not quite as quick. It comes in a 295-18 but the aspect ratio is only 30 which makes for a pretty short tire and likely a somewhat unforgiving sidewall. Should I consider these or look elsewhere?

BTW this is for a C5Z with alignment, shocks and sway bars but nothing else.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a half-used set, but have only autocrossed on them. I don't know if they'll tolerate the amount of heat you can get on a road course, and I should also mention that they run very wide for their listed sizes. A 265 AD08R is easily as wide as a 285 from almost anyone else.

As much as the AD08s cost, you could look at something like the R888. For reference, a 265/40/18+255/40/17 set of AD08Rs will set you back $1034 at TR. A set of R888s in 305/35/18 and 255/40/17 is $1074. Stepping up to a 275 up front costs another $50.

my $.02
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Greg Campbell
Heel & Toe

I am planning on running AD08Rs this year (255/18 and 295/19). While I have not run them before, here's what I have been able to gather from various forums.

- Yoks sidewall is significantly stiffer than the RS3s. The Yoks should provide clearer feedback than the often 'vague' RS3s.
- Yoks performance is more consistent throughout their life. RS3s are fastest their first day and drop off noticeably after that. AD08Rs may not be as fast the first day, but keep more performance throughout their life. This helps offset their higher cost vs. the RS3s.
- Yoks like heat and should stay more consistent throughout a run/heat/session. The RS3 V2 changes will probably mean that tire is faster in cool running (but not by much). With 400+ hp and 3,300+ lbs I am more interested in a tire that can handle the heat.
- Rivals are known to be the most forgiving in terms of not punishing for driver errors. RS3s are also well rated in this regard. Dunlop Star Specs are fast but probably the 'peak-iest' tire that requires the driver be 100% on it to get the best out of them.
- Bridgestone RE-71Rs are getting good reviews (albeit for autocross only). While there may be some 'shiny object syndrome' influencing the reviews, I expect the 'stones will be fast, but probably peaky and somewhat demanding on driver inputs for the best time (like the Star Specs). I was tempted by the 'stones, however they do not come wide enough for me.
- All but the Rivals are reversible, so you can remount inside out to extent tire life. With my staggered set up (18x9.5 Fr and 19x11 Rr) this is important to me.

FYI: while there is Yok contingency, they have been EXTREMELY slow in getting the reward monies/tires to participants. Like, a full year late (i.e. rewards for the 2013 season not received until 2015).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One clarification: the Rival can be flipped on the wheel. They have symmetrical construction though the tread pattern is different. Once they've worn down, there's no issue whatsoever with flipping them to get the last bit of life out of them...
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Soloontario
Pro

[QUOTE=hklvette;1589218495
As much as the AD08s cost, you could look at something like the R888. For reference, a 265/40/18+255/40/17 set of AD08Rs will set you back $1034 at TR. A set of R888s in 305/35/18 and 255/40/17 is $1074. Stepping up to a 275 up front costs another $50.

my $.02[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately in the Canadian Mobil 1 Time-Attack series, using the 888 would move me to a higher class (and my experience with 888s is that they heat cycle out big time.) If I were to run "race" rubber as opposed to "street" rubber, I would likely prefer the NT-01.

Given the "street" tire wars going on now and the crazy notion of a 200 treadwear I am surprised that Yokohama is sticking to it's 180 rating.

Last edited by Soloontario; 03-19-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg Campbell
I am planning on running AD08Rs this year (255/18 and 295/19). While I have not run them before, here's what I have been able to gather from various forums.

- Yoks sidewall is significantly stiffer than the RS3s. The Yoks should provide clearer feedback than the often 'vague' RS3s.
- Yoks performance is more consistent throughout their life. RS3s are fastest their first day and drop off noticeably after that. AD08Rs may not be as fast the first day, but keep more performance throughout their life. This helps offset their higher cost vs. the RS3s.
- Yoks like heat and should stay more consistent throughout a run/heat/session. The RS3 V2 changes will probably mean that tire is faster in cool running (but not by much). With 400+ hp and 3,300+ lbs I am more interested in a tire that can handle the heat.
- Rivals are known to be the most forgiving in terms of not punishing for driver errors. RS3s are also well rated in this regard. Dunlop Star Specs are fast but probably the 'peak-iest' tire that requires the driver be 100% on it to get the best out of them.
- Bridgestone RE-71Rs are getting good reviews (albeit for autocross only). While there may be some 'shiny object syndrome' influencing the reviews, I expect the 'stones will be fast, but probably peaky and somewhat demanding on driver inputs for the best time (like the Star Specs). I was tempted by the 'stones, however they do not come wide enough for me.
- All but the Rivals are reversible, so you can remount inside out to extent tire life. With my staggered set up (18x9.5 Fr and 19x11 Rr) this is important to me.

FYI: while there is Yok contingency, they have been EXTREMELY slow in getting the reward monies/tires to participants. Like, a full year late (i.e. rewards for the 2013 season not received until 2015).

Hope this helps.

Greg, is the reason you are only going 255 up front due to your wheel sizes? I would be thinking of 295s all round (knowing I will be taking the 2 sPIPs for wheels sticking out more than 1/2" beyond the fenders)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Greg Campbell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Greg, is the reason you are only going 255 up front due to your wheel sizes? I would be thinking of 295s all round (knowing I will be taking the 2 sPIPs for wheels sticking out more than 1/2" beyond the fenders)
That is correct. While you can do a wide square set up on C5s, there's not enough space up front for anything wider than 275. The 265 RS3s I had last year would rub on 3/4 lock. I also have the brake ducts to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with Yokohama AD-08R

Quick Reply: Experience with Yokohama AD-08R