Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 clutch recommendation

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C5 clutch recommendation

Hi. I'm looking for a new clutch/lighted flywheel combo. I have 450rwhp and do track days, auto-x and street. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mpryan
Hi. I'm looking for a new clutch/lighted flywheel combo. I have 450rwhp and do track days, auto-x and street. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Mike
I'm now using the 45lb McLeod RXT now after an 8.5" 25lb double disk puck type on/off switch that had no forgiveness on drivetrain parts. It.Was.Brutal. and my **** talking friends that have worked race clutches before stalled it out repeatedly. I also had throttle flair issues that didn't go away at 25lbs with my 226@.050 cammed 346....even with 3 of the country's best tuners playing with the tune. Interestingly the same clutch went into another car with the same tuner (stock cam) and didn't exhibit the same issues, but the ecu in my 2002 C5z couldn't cope. a 5.5" would have slipped a bit more likely, but throttle flare would have been worse. The RXT is slippable and awesome and about 1/2 the cost of other clutches with good reputations. yes, another 20lbs sucks but the car is 400% more enjoyable.

Last edited by briannutter1; 03-20-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a twin disc ACT for a while. Really liked it. Actually still have it but no longer in the car. Put a stock clutch back in after needing a crank because the balancer bolt worked itself out. Clutch only has maybe 2k miles on it. Interested? PM me.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by briannutter1
I'm now using the 45lb McLeod RXT now after an 8.5" 25lb double disk puck type on/off switch that had no forgiveness on drivetrain parts. It.Was.Brutal. and my **** talking friends that have worked race clutches before stalled it out repeatedly. I also had throttle flair issues that didn't go away at 25lbs with my 226@.050 cammed 346....even with 3 of the country's best tuners playing with the tune. Interestingly the same clutch went into another car with the same tuner (stock cam) and didn't exhibit the same issues, but the ecu in my 2002 C5z couldn't cope. a 5.5" would have slipped a bit more likely, but throttle flare would have been worse. The RXT is slippable and awesome and about 1/2 the cost of other clutches with good reputations. yes, another 20lbs sucks but the car is 400% more enjoyable.
Which 25lb clutch/flywheel combo did you take out?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 AM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pm sent
Old 03-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running a Mantic single disk for a few seasons, street/autox/road course. It has performed flawlessly and it drives very well on the street, hard to tell its an aftermarket clutch. I'd highly recommend them. A bit more money than some other single disk setups but you get what you pay for. Whatever you do make sure you put a remote bleeder in and keep fresh fluid in there all the time, its gets dirty fast.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Learned my lesson the hard way in my street/track C5. I just had to have a 3-puck racing clutch. Convinced myself it would be better than stock with its light weight flywheel, stiff springs and hi-temp friction surfaces. Within two months I regretted it with every drive. On the street it was noisy and the pedal effort tiresome, it grabbed immediately and could make for some very abrupt starts. I later swapped it out for stock C6 clutch and am now much happier. IMO racing clutches are for track only - they are design for high clamping force and no slippage. Street clutches are desgined to allow a lot of slippage (think about being stopped at a light on a severe incline). My 2 cents - if the car is still streetable stick with OEM or near OEM style clutch.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Our LT1-S is a great setup that has dramatically less MOI than a single disc, will last longer, will hold more power, and will drive like a factory clutch.

All of that and we offer a lightweight version for an additional $50 and we warranty our setups for 1 year no matter how you use it.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would highly recommend the Mantic Er2 setup. Very smooth and Oem like clutch with plenty of holding capacity.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 clutch recommendation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 clutch recommendation